Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2013, 07:21 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fewayne Quote
I picked up an old Pentax 50mm 1.2 M lens
I think you mean f/2 - there never was a M series 50mm f/1.2 lens - the point of the M series lenses was compact size, if you have ever held a Pentax 50mm f/1.2 you would know that lens is anything but compact.

05-19-2013, 05:46 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Re: Containing childlike excitement. Heh. I was writing that post on my iPad, sitting at a restaurant four doors down from my home. With my wife. Who was abandoned in a flash as I sprinted out the door...

But I came back, with the box. Unopened. And sat there with her until we'd finished lunch. Of course the box got its own chair at the table, but still. :-)

Will have to try the electronic level -- and thanks for reminding me about the firmware! Everything else has checked out perfectly, and I am one happy dang bunny. I cannot believe what I'm getting for high-ISO imagery -- after the K-7, this thing is a revelation. With the M-1.7 on it, I can get perfectly acceptable results when it's too dark to focus manually -- but the little red blinkie gets it right every time! As for resolution, I haven't yet done any testing that would ferret out a discernible difference. I think it's sharper, but I have yet to see an image that makes me go "WOW!" for sharpness the way the high-ISO ones do for overall IQ.

I too smelled a rat when my friend talked about the "1.2 M" -- when I realized that there wasn't any such animal, I wondered if he'd gotten the M wrong, or the 1.2 wrong. For $25, smart money was on the latter, but with the Finn, you just never know. And the chance to chaff him with fake outrage was just too good to pass up.