Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2013, 08:25 AM   #1

K5 + S type screen + f4-f5.6

Hi, I've read a lot of the post on the S type screens (canon e-ss) and have decided this is the direction I need to go for a better keeper rate with my MF lenses. What has held me back so far is I use 4 lenses regularly that are f4,f5.6.
M42 200 f4
M42 300 f4
M42 400 5.6
A 100 f4
Now I understand the screen will be darker at these apertures, the question I pose is just how dark? Is anyone using these lenses and still enjoying them with the s screen, is it annoying? a struggle? or have you had to just stop using them.

05-18-2013, 08:54 AM   #2
Pentaxian

It is darker, but I don't think it is a big problem (and hardly at all at f/4, but noticeably darker at 5.6 and 6.3). I actually have now added a 1.3x magnifying eyepiece along with my s-type screen which probably makes it a bit darker still. But I can use my 18-250 3.5-6.3 successfully, and fast MF lenses are much easier to use once you calibrate the shims to get the focusing screen right. I also have some slower manual focus lenses -- I can focus just fine (magnifier helps there too of course)...
05-18-2013, 08:56 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think there were some threads with combinations of different screens and lenses, and even examples of slow lenses on various screens. But the S type is among the better ones
05-18-2013, 09:26 AM   #4

I use the S type focus screen constantly with A*300/4. I have also O-ME53 magnifying eyecup. Viewfinder is darker yes, but I don't find it a problem. Also 18-135WR at tele-end (F5.6) is easily usable. But it all depends of course on the general light level. Midday is not a problem at all. But when it gets darker in the evening the viewfinder darkness is emphasized with slower lenses. But usually faster lenses are preferred anyways those situations so I don't find that problem either (and s type screen works best for fast lenses, which you may already know).

Only time I found it problematic was with A*300/4 + 1.7x AFA combo and in the winter when the viewfinder was too dark to focus manually. That's the reason I sold the 1.7x AFA. Also DA18-250 at tele end (F6.3) feels too dark. Other than that I have had no problems. And of course you can change the original screen back if you need bit of brightness for slower lenses I would draw a line at F4. Slower than that and the viewfinder darkness may be a problem.

05-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Your F4 lenses will be fine. The 5.6 will be ok if there is enough light. If you shoot primarily with the F4 lenses, it will be worth it, but if you shoot often with the 5.6, you will many instances where it is too dark. Those are also instances where there will be barely enough light to get a shot.

The M42 support on a K5 means that you adjust the aperture ring on the lens to stop down. You will find that you need to open the aperture to focus, then stop down.

The stock screen isn't much better though. In low light it gets blotchy and dark. The S screen will be clearer although dark.

I wouldn't buy it for the 5.6, but the others yes.
05-19-2013, 09:01 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Your F4 lenses will be fine. The 5.6 will be ok if there is enough light. If you shoot primarily with the F4 lenses, it will be worth it, but if you shoot often with the 5.6, you will many instances where it is too dark. Those are also instances where there will be barely enough light to get a shot.

The M42 support on a K5 means that you adjust the aperture ring on the lens to stop down. You will find that you need to open the aperture to focus, then stop down.

The stock screen isn't much better though. In low light it gets blotchy and dark. The S screen will be clearer although dark.

I wouldn't buy it for the 5.6, but the others yes.
Thanks for the quick replies, it appears from your experiences the f4's are no problem and the f5.6 may be borderline depending on the available light. With the M42 lenses I normally focus wide open and then step to the working aperture, so no change there.
Just had a thought, if I went outside right now and looked through the stock focus screen with the M42 400 at 5.6 how many stops would I have to step down to simulate the s types darker screen?
Dave
05-19-2013, 09:33 AM   #7
Pentaxian

It has been too long for me to say how much darker than the stock screen in terms of stops. Basically, you'll notice it is darker with slow lenses, but the screen is also clearer.

I have not found it an impediment, and although I got it for fast manual lenses, still my most-used lens is the 18-250 (AF lens), which is 6.3 at the long end and is where I'm often at. I don't think I'd want to do a lot of manual focusing at that aperture, but is ok for framing. I do have a couple MF telephotos that are f/5.6 and I can focus those fine in daylight (and don't have much reason to use those lenses in the dark) -- in dim light they are pretty dark but still you can focus if there are edges to be seen. I do have the 1.3x magnifier now but had just the S-screen for quite a while by itself. We're probably overhyping the dark thing -- it is never THAT dark, and your eye adjusts.

It is a tradeoff, but no way would I go back to stock screen. Much better to be a possibly too dark at times (which is only when the ambient light is very dim) than for it to be literally impossible to accurately focus a f/1.4-2.0 lens by eye. I can even focus the Revuenon 55/1.2 dead-on by eye with the S-screen...