Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-20-2013, 08:19 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forum!

It's a tough decision. I own both the K-5 and the 7D. Both are excellent cameras, with different strengths.

K-5 is smaller, quieter and more discreet. It has slightly better image quality. It also has in-body image stabilization,which is a big plus for shooting in low light.

7D has much better autofocus and access to Canon's excellent long lenses. I bought mine for occasional wildlife photography. I think, by the way, that it's not true that 7D images are softer; they just require different post-processing.

I wrote a more detailed comparison on my website.

Good luck deciding.

Bob

05-20-2013, 08:32 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you sir!

Ironic I have read and seen your website before you even shared it. It is nice to see you in person

Thank you for taking your time in responding, looks like I will have to flip a coin to decide

Cheers!
05-20-2013, 11:33 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Buy one, shoot with it, decide what you want, and fix it on the second camera. It's not a lifelong partnership, more like a first date.
05-20-2013, 05:00 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As someone who owns both a K5 and the K5IIs, I will tell you that the AF in the IIs is faster, more decisive, and seems to be more accurate. If the speed and accuracy of the AF is of the utmost importance, then go with the K5II.

The K5 is a wonderful camera that I am still shooting with, so if your priorities are price above all, then the K5 is your camera. I would especially recommend the K5 if the extra savings will allow you to get more lenses faster. The lenses will be around longer than the camera body, so it is more important to get what you really want there. The FA Limiteds are superb lenses.

05-20-2013, 06:31 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Deedee Quote
Thank you for taking your time in responding, looks like I will have to flip a coin to decide

Cheers!
No need to flip a coin. Your decision is quite clear. Pentax is out because they make hunting scopes. Enjoy your Canon 7D knowing their company is critter friendly.

In the mean time I will continue to enjoy my K5
05-21-2013, 01:41 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
I will continue to enjoy my K5
ha ha! Looks like I would need to lower my values here. I guess I will!

QuoteOriginally posted by bkpix Quote
Good luck deciding.
A quick question, since you have experienced both. If you were novice to shooting like me, which one would you pick. Considering I don't shoot wildlife / action that much. specially for the fact, there isn't much action around in here.

Thank you again.
05-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #22

Deedee.
re choosing the lenses that you will need.
Go on YouTube, search for Mike Browne and enjoy. Hey, take a few minutes out and look at this.

Have fun
Richard.

05-21-2013, 05:52 PM   #23
Forum Member

Dear all,

Hello from France!

I am a new member. (I have been part of several forums in the past, and usually by habit I have seen someone new barely gets any attention. Which is normal).

As I live in a small village there are not many people I can talk to about this.

I will be actively participating and responding to this thread and everywhere else where I think I can add value (Being a novice I doubt that).

So anyhow after about an year's research and reading about cameras and lenses for about 3 years I have finally narrowed it down to 3 cameras which I think I would love to shoot with. Since I have put in so much of efforts I actually think whichever camera I own I will carry it around with pride and will become a part of my life.

Obviously if I choose to post in the Pentaxforums You know what camera I am more bent towards!

The first two cameras are Pentax K-5 and K-5II (Not IIs, I don't care about that extra sharpening worth the $s).

It is a great time to buy K-5II and IIs in France because there is an official offer:
Les offres ensoleillées - PENTAX RICOH IMAGING FRANCE

Now the biggest disappointment is that, there are no offers for K-5. It is only for K-5II and K-30.

The third camera is Canon EOS 7D. I understand it weighs more than my neighbors wife its Dynamic Range is not as good and the image quality is soft. Having said that it has a few great features like a superb AF and tank quality build. (Pssst I hate Nikon, they make hunting equipments [Sniper scopes] and I don't support that).

Here is the official Canon offer:
http://www.avousdallerplusloin.fr/produits.html#reflex

Now here are my questions please be patient and evaluate them for me, I don't have many friends and I find internet a great community to do so. I have read several hours worth of posts on this forum before deciding to become a member.

1. Should I buy Pentax K-5 (A little cheaper I think) v/s K-5II (A little expensive) BUT currently on an offer by Pentax.

2. If I buy Pentax K-5 which lens should I go for I have read 18-135 WR is great but does anyone recommend something else (As it is freaking expensive).

3. Should I even go for Canon EOS 7D it is available on offer (Considering posting here at the Pentax Forums I think it should be considered a sin ).

I will never go for professional photography! I have seen anything I do in life for money, I start getting bored of it. So I would like to keep it as a passion. I will enjoy it more. I speak for myself here. Also I don't see myself upgrading for next 3-5 years as well.

My sincerest thanks if you choose to respond.

best regards,
DeeDee
Hi Dragra,

About the lenses. If you don't need WR, you could buy both the Pentax 17-70 mm and the 55-300 mm. I agree: both lenses are not top of the bill. But you don't pay for that and anyhow they perform quite well, with a reasonable price. The 55-300 is even amazingly cheap for its quality. If you need WR only on some occasions you might also buy the standard lens 18-55 mm WR: cheap and giving a reasonable quality, though not as good as the 17-70 mm lens.
If yuou need WR all the time, then you have to look for other and more expensive solutions.
If you also need a wide angle lens, then - as already mentioned - the Sigma 10-20 mm will serve you well. Even the cheapest version of the two Sigma 10-20 mm lenses will give you a good quality, though again it is not top of the bill (as you also don't pay for).
05-23-2013, 12:56 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by myrdinn Quote
though again it is not top of the bill
Thanks a lot bud.
05-24-2013, 02:21 AM   #25
Veteran Member

ha ha! Looks like I would need to lower my values here. I guess I will!
That means you can also consider Nikon cameras now.
A quick question, since you have experienced both. If you were novice to shooting like me, which one would you pick. Considering I don't shoot wildlife / action that much. specially for the fact, there isn't much action around in here.
The 7D is a bona fide sports and action camera. That's its raison d'etre (I took french in high school ).
I wouldn't get the 7D unless I did mostly sports, wildlife and action. It's big and heavy and it's noisy in the shadows.

Regards,
--Anders.
05-24-2013, 01:27 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A good choice for your longer work would be the DA 55-300, there are two versions. One thing you want to think about with the beach is weather resistance - saltwater is no bueno. The 18-135 can be bought used for about $300-350 here in the US. The kit 18-55WR is probably sufficient for most work.

Beyond that, I think any system will give you the 3 lens categories you want. Each has their Ultra Wide Angle (UWA) choices.

I would comment lenses for Pentax are often less expensive because they don't rely on in-lens vibration reduction. Also, the used market is good if you keep your eyes open here on the Forum. Given your choices the Pentax I'd choose is either a used K-5D, leaving more money for lenses, or a K5II for its improved autofocus.

That said, once you learn the camera the AF in the K5 is not at all bad.
05-25-2013, 05:35 AM   #27

Not infrequent you hear in other forums photographers give up their FF cameras opting for M4/3 due to its smaller size.

7D is bigger and if you decide to get L lenses, the combo IMHO is 'massive'. You may not realise the bulk till you go on a hiking trip or long trip sightseeing on foot. The weight of the gear can kill the joy in photography if you add an external flash to fill the light. I give up D700 and 24-70 zoom and SB900 for a Leica RF. Subsequently i have added K5 with few Limited lenses.

K5 is a lot more compact and the limited lenses are fantastic for landscape or general photography. The user interface is so much better than any Canon. I am happy to go overseas with K5 and FA31 lens only. Then again, that is just me.

You can't go wrong with either camera in term of IQ but there is a difference in size between them.

All the best!
05-28-2013, 11:44 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi,

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
or a K5II for its improved autofocus.
TER-OR - Thank you, exactly what I am thinking.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bestzoom Quote
K5 is a lot more compact and the limited lenses are fantastic for landscape or general photography.
Bestzoom - Thank you, I have been thinking the same.

I really appreciate and thank everyone for their responses. Buying my first camera (Specially on a tight budget) Does not look so easy as it sounds. I want the best and after my research K-5 looks like the best.

However the "known issues" of this camera is a big turn-off, naming the three most famous: Mirror Flop, Sensor blobs (spots) & the ghastly AF.

Now I am no longer contemplating the Pentax K5 vs the Canon 7D.

Looks like it has to be K-5 II then.

I am still thinking though. I wish I lived in one of those big camera stores like Adorama or B&H. I would practically be living inside those stores.

Thank you all again. I am just contemplating the ifs. Please bear.

Cheers!
05-28-2013, 12:33 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Hi,

TER-OR - Thank you, exactly what I am thinking.

Bestzoom - Thank you, I have been thinking the same.

I really appreciate and thank everyone for their responses. Buying my first camera (Specially on a tight budget) Does not look so easy as it sounds. I want the best and after my research K-5 looks like the best.

However the "known issues" of this camera is a big turn-off, naming the three most famous: Mirror Flop, Sensor blobs (spots) & the ghastly AF.

Now I am no longer contemplating the Pentax K5 vs the Canon 7D.

Looks like it has to be K-5 II then.

I am still thinking though. I wish I lived in one of those big camera stores like Adorama or B&H. I would practically be living inside those stores.

Thank you all again. I am just contemplating the ifs. Please bear.

Cheers!
I wouldn't worry about the mirror flop or sensor blobs. I believe those happned only on early models. I purchased mine new in January and have not had any issues with it other than the level being off which I understand is common.
05-28-2013, 12:45 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Driline

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
level being off
What does this mean? Pardon my ignorance.

Cheers!