Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2013, 01:52 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Perhaps this is auto-metering. I have better luck with center metering. That way, for instance, when I am tracking our dark dogs on a bright field of snow it exposes for the dog.

Don't be worried about the older issues - I had a couple lock-ups when the camera was new. This was an over-voltage of the battery from what I read. Not anything really due to the camera and never past the first two battery charges.

I think the AF in the K-5 is good, lab tests have confirmed this. It's much more durable than its competition, compact and capable. I've had the chance to look at some of the competition and I have never regretted my decision. The best camera is the one you have with you - and with a WR lens on the K-5 I have no real reason not to take it regardless of weather. If they'd make the 55-300 as WR, that would be great. As it is, I'm considering buying a used DA* or FA* 300mm lens for birding.

05-28-2013, 02:28 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi,

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
The best camera is the one you have with you - and with a WR lens on the K-5
I really like what you say. I see Pentax users have the conviction. I mean Pentax owners love their Pentax, strange people outside Pentax world just don't know Pentax.

So really K-5 or K-5II? Many people suggest K-5 over K-5II? Although K-5II is supposed to be better by few marginal means.

Cheers! and once again my sincerest thanks to responding to a guy sitting in a remote location far from the maddening crowd.
05-29-2013, 05:49 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If it were me making the decision today I'd have to weigh these two things: A used K5 would leave you money for another lens. A single good lens on a K5II may well perform better than multiple lenses on a K5, though your daily use may not reveal this performance boost frequently.
If you're going to rely on autofocus most of the time (and I do) the K5II is hard to argue against. The quick little 18-135 would let you get out, get lost, get wet, and get photos.

Is the K5II that much better than the K5? You'll have to research that. I can say most shots I miss for focus are either my fault (not allowing SR to stabilize) or very difficult conditions (little birds among the branches). Quick-shift lenses help a little, but they're still difficult to capture.

Here's my twist: I do lots of macro, so the K5IIs would be very attractive. I'm waiting for the next camera, if it has a version without the AA filter, I'll probably buy it.
05-30-2013, 01:27 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hi Dee-Dee

Have to agree with Te-Or. I really like my K5, but has been let down by the autofocus and I do not think it has been my fault all the time. I do not know in what respect the K5II's autofocus is better, but if there is a significant improvement over the K5, go for the K5II. I do find autofocus rather essential, since manual focus with the standard focussing screen is a hit and miss affair and the very short focus throw of the DA lenses makes manual with Live view quite difficult to use

By the way, Pentax apparently not only makes rifle scopes, but also a very highly rated colonoscope, if that might influence your decision either way

06-02-2013, 01:32 AM   #35
Veteran Member

I don't know much about the 7D (although my brother has one, and it seems like a fine camera), but I bought a Nikon D800 and some very good glass for landscape and portrait work, because of the incredible detail it's capable of capturing. But, guess what? Whenever I'm out and about, it's my K-5 that accompanies me because of its small size and, more importantly, the diminutive nature of of its lenses. My absolute favourite for landscape is the 15mm Limited. Nothing else I have seems to render sky so well. For landscape, autofocus is not very important (we don't have any hyperactive trees around here), but for capturing pics of my quick-moving granddaughter, the D800 gives me a better hit rate,with regard to sharp focus, though I prefer the rendering of my 77mm to the (albeit very good) Nikkor 85 f1.8D. I really don't need both systems, but if I had to part with one, it would be the Nikon, as good as it is. I always feel more comfortable with the K-5, and I'd never give up my small collection of limited primes. Just hope this helps a little.
06-08-2013, 08:34 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Deedee Quote
So really K-5 or K-5II?
I encourage you to go for the K-5 II.

The AF not only works in very low light (-3 EV) but stays accurate in such low light levels. The K-5 can produce front-focus in low-light situations.

Furthermore, the AF of the K-5 II has an f/2.8 sensor in the centre, meaning that it will be even more accurate with fast (wide aperture) lenses. The K-5 has accurate AF as well, but the K-5 II is even better.

If you are not planning to replace your camera with an updated model soon, I'd definitely spend a bit more money now and then reap the benefits for as long as you own the camera.

BTW, I've been using a K100D and just upgraded to a K-5 II. Brilliant camera. I'm sure you'll love it.
08-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ladies and Gents!

I want to thank each and everyone of you. Whoever choose to respond to my idiotic stupid questions.

I got one HECK of a deal for Pentax K-5 II and I got the camera just today. I had to travel to a different city, roughly 2 hours drive just to get the camera.

So Pentax K-5 II + 18-55mm WR ~=@ 649 Euros or 865.25 USD or 557 GBP.

The feeling is amazing. Specially with the awesome offer :P

I am also open for any recommendations if you gentlemen may have. I would really appreciate. For now I am thinking of buying additional Sigma 50mm 1.4 + Sigma 10-20 mm.

Time for me to RTFM! (That thing is bigger than the bible )

Cheers!

08-07-2013, 03:45 PM   #38
Veteran Member

That's great Deedee, now go back to the shop and try any of the DA limited primes on it and prepare for your jaw to drop. OK slightly OTT there, but the only way to improve the image quality from this great combo is to spend a fortune on medium format digital.

Chris
08-07-2013, 05:36 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Good Deal Deedee!
08-08-2013, 03:53 AM   #40

Photos: Albums
Great deal...
Sigma 50 f1.4 is a big lens (but i love it).
Sigma 17-50 zoom is a great zoom.

All the best!
08-08-2013, 07:25 AM   #41
Pentaxian

I got one HECK of a deal for Pentax K-5 II and I got the camera just today.
Awesome!

I'm glad you are liking it so far.

Worth doing, though.

You may also want to check out my collection of "cool features".

P.S.: Both lenses you mentioned are very good!
08-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #42
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

The feeling is amazing. Specially with the awesome offer :P

I am also open for any recommendations if you gentlemen may have. I would really appreciate. For now I am thinking of buying additional Sigma 50mm 1.4 + Sigma 10-20 mm.

Congratulations, great deal!

Both of those lenses should be good, but quite big. In fact, I haven't used my 10-20 much after I got the tiny and wonderful bring-me-everywhere DA 15 Ltd, even though it's great fun shooting at 10 mm.

For even bigger and wider the Sigma 8-16 mm could be an alternative.

And do read the manual. Get the pdf version as well - having a searchable manual is very handy.

Enjoy!
08-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Great deal.... but what about the hunting scope thing? lol.

I think you should have get the IIs instead, it is amazing (comparing to K5, which is suppose to be the same as K5II except the AF).

Enjoy shooting!
08-08-2013, 12:52 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats DeeDee, enjoy getting to know your K-5II.

Once you are comfortable I think you might enjoy picking up a relatively inexpensive manual 50mm such as Pentax A50 1.7.

Or if AF is necessary, try the Pentax DA 50mm 1.8.
08-09-2013, 05:16 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the Pentax world. Enjoy your camera.
Your big mistake was to get involved with this forum.
The bloggers here will just encourage you to spend more and more and more.