Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2013, 03:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Torn apart - The age old discussion

Dear all,

Hello from France!

I am a new member. (I have been part of several forums in the past, and usually by habit I have seen someone new barely gets any attention. Which is normal).

As I live in a small village there are not many people I can talk to about this.

I will be actively participating and responding to this thread and everywhere else where I think I can add value (Being a novice I doubt that).

So anyhow after about an year's research and reading about cameras and lenses for about 3 years I have finally narrowed it down to 3 cameras which I think I would love to shoot with. Since I have put in so much of efforts I actually think whichever camera I own I will carry it around with pride and will become a part of my life.

Obviously if I choose to post in the Pentaxforums You know what camera I am more bent towards!

The first two cameras are Pentax K-5 and K-5II (Not IIs, I don't care about that extra sharpening worth the $s).

It is a great time to buy K-5II and IIs in France because there is an official offer:
Les offres ensoleillées - PENTAX RICOH IMAGING FRANCE

Now the biggest disappointment is that, there are no offers for K-5. It is only for K-5II and K-30.

The third camera is Canon EOS 7D. I understand it weighs more than my neighbors wife its Dynamic Range is not as good and the image quality is soft. Having said that it has a few great features like a superb AF and tank quality build. (Pssst I hate Nikon, they make hunting equipments [Sniper scopes] and I don't support that).

Here is the official Canon offer:
http://www.avousdallerplusloin.fr/produits.html#reflex

Now here are my questions please be patient and evaluate them for me, I don't have many friends and I find internet a great community to do so. I have read several hours worth of posts on this forum before deciding to become a member.

1. Should I buy Pentax K-5 (A little cheaper I think) v/s K-5II (A little expensive) BUT currently on an offer by Pentax.

2. If I buy Pentax K-5 which lens should I go for I have read 18-135 WR is great but does anyone recommend something else (As it is freaking expensive).

3. Should I even go for Canon EOS 7D it is available on offer (Considering posting here at the Pentax Forums I think it should be considered a sin ).

I will never go for professional photography! I have seen anything I do in life for money, I start getting bored of it. So I would like to keep it as a passion. I will enjoy it more. I speak for myself here. Also I don't see myself upgrading for next 3-5 years as well.

My sincerest thanks if you choose to respond.

best regards,
DeeDee

Attached Images

05-20-2013, 05:16 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Because you cannot go and pick each of these up to compare (but lucky you to live in a small village in France - I use to live in Engins 38360), consider that the Canon 7D is also quite a bit bigger, while the build quality will be the similar to the K-5:
Compare camera dimensions side by side

The K-5 is an excellent camera, but if you want better autofocus, and the same image quality (and build), go for the K-5 II. (EDIT: just checked fnac.com, and the K-5 there is about 200 € less than the II, while the 7D is much more!). For a lens, the 18-135mm is a good one, but you could also start with the standard 18-55mm and consider another lens (maybe used) later on.

Bienvenue, et bon courage!

Last edited by panoguy; 05-20-2013 at 05:37 AM.
05-20-2013, 05:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Merci!

I am also thinking K-5 II but I read the forum admin prefer K-5 over the K-5 II.
05-20-2013, 05:38 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Deedee Quote
(Pssst I hate Nikon, they make hunting equipments [Sniper scopes] and I don't support that).
You do know that Pentax does too right?

They don't sell them in France, but they do in the US.

Long Range Rifle Scopes-PENTAX Rifle Scopes

05-20-2013, 05:39 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
You do know that Pentax does too right?
Shhhhh...
05-20-2013, 05:44 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I think you guys just sold him a 7D. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
05-20-2013, 05:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Man! That sucks! I guess another debate will erupt ruining the thread.

05-20-2013, 05:51 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Why? ... there's nothing to debate. Nikon and Canon make hunting scopes which violate the OPs values. What's to debate? The manufacture of hunting scopes won't change, the OPs values won't change... end of debate.
05-20-2013, 06:00 AM   #9

Welcome Deedee,
Thought you might like to look at this.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/215441-k-5-sigma-50-500-os.html

Although the thread is about long lenses it also shows what the K5 and K7 can do.
Richard.
05-20-2013, 06:16 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Why? ... there's nothing to debate. Nikon and Canon make hunting scopes which violate the OPs values. What's to debate? The manufacture of hunting scopes won't change, the OPs values won't change... end of debate.
Actually, Canon doesn't make rifle scopes, just binoculars. By the rules @Deedee set Canon is the only choice. I don't think Olympus does either, so the OM-D should be under consideration...
05-20-2013, 06:22 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Actually, Canon doesn't make rifle scopes, just binoculars. By the rules @Deedee set Canon is the only choice. I don't think Olympus does either, so the OM-D should be under consideration...
Sometimes I think my brain is truly fried... I meant to say Nikon and Pentax make hunting scopes.... if this was a conversation I'd be saying "What you think you heard is not what i meant to say."
05-20-2013, 07:05 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok

Let me help myself by asking the right questions.

1. Is it true Canon lenses are cheaper than Penax lenses? Most of the shooters don't go beyond 5 lenses I know it! Specially I am a landscape shooter + Sometimes street / travel.

2. Pentax K-5 v/s K-5 II? Is it worth paying the extra $s. (Image quality is important but if AF was so important I would rather choose 7D, which is obviously not) This questions is to people who either have owned both or have owned in the past.

My sincerest thanks.
05-20-2013, 07:09 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@Richard Spencer - thank you for the images. Indeed that looks like the job of a 7D. I would definitely look into the alternatives.
05-20-2013, 08:00 AM   #14

Photos: Albums
Deedee,

welcome to the forum!

Like most beginners you are focusing on the camera instead of the lenses. I suggest you take a pencil and write down the lenses you want to have. If you don't know which lenses you want to use then find out!

The lenses are more important than the camera, because the lenses stay but camera comes and goes every 2 years. Pentax got me into their world because of the lovely Limited lenses! There's nothing alike!
05-20-2013, 08:05 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey Dragra

Thank you for your wise recommendation. Actually you are right

I am currently doing that. But I am curious how would I know which lens to own, unless I have tried. I know I need 3 lenses for sure.

1. 10-20 mm wide (Since I live near the sea, may be sigma because they are comparatively cheaper)
2. 50 or 35 mm prime fast (For indoors and party etc.)
3. Telephoto I don't know which one to go for. (Since I have never shot birds or animals or never lived around a race track).

My sincerest thanks again.