Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2013, 10:49 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
What you don't want to see in your K5 - collapsed shutetr

So this is what a collapsed shutter looks like on a K5. The quote from the camera tech was AU$400 to fix it which is about 2/3 of the used value. I'm not sure which way to jump; fix it, replace with a used K5, find a new K5, get a K5IIs or wait for the K3 (or whatever it is called). On that last option, the tech has contacts in Pentax Japan and was predicting I wouldn't see it till around Christmas. For the moment I have a K01 to use so all is not lost, but I do prefer an OVF.

FWIW my K5 is just on two years old and had around 10,000 shutter actuations so to say I am unhappy would be an understatement.

aargh - you also don't want to see a typo in the thread title.

Last edited by Paul Ewins; 05-20-2013 at 10:50 PM. Reason: typo
05-20-2013, 11:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Uhm...wow. Aren't these rated for 100K actuations? Seems like they'd do something if it failed so soon...
05-20-2013, 11:08 PM   #3
Pentaxian

You could buy an older model, such as a k10d, and make do until the new camera does appear. You will still have the K01 for when high iso is desired. It will be a smaller outlay and there may be some who still prefer the ccd sensor for it's warmer colours, who would take it off your hands when the time comes to sell.

PS
I've never seen your problem before - what a bummer. It's kind of disappointing that I've never heard of any manufacturing problems with the K-7, yet the K-5 seems to have suffered so many. Perhaps the K-5's sales popularity meant that manufacturing had to be expanded to keep up with demand. It's one reason why I'm yet to upgrade my K-7...
05-20-2013, 11:13 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Ewins Quote

So this is what a collapsed shutter looks like on a K5. The quote from the camera tech was AU$400 to fix it which is about 2/3 of the used value. I'm not sure which way to jump; fix it, replace with a used K5, find a new K5, get a K5IIs or wait for the K3 (or whatever it is called). On that last option, the tech has contacts in Pentax Japan and was predicting I wouldn't see it till around Christmas. For the moment I have a K01 to use so all is not lost, but I do prefer an OVF.

FWIW my K5 is just on two years old and had around 10,000 shutter actuations so to say I am unhappy would be an understatement.

aargh - you also don't want to see a typo in the thread title.
Bad luck Paul!
(Ron Hendricks in the Netherlands is doing better at 140,000 shutter actuations.)
I'd say fix it rather than buy a pre-loved replacement, but I'd be tempted to put the $$ towards a K5 lls.

05-21-2013, 02:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Ewins Quote
I am unhappy would be an understatement.
I feel sorry for your loss. If I were you and it actually costs so much. I would go for a refurbished camera. I am sure you will find a better price for that. Also are you aware if this is a known issue with Pentax K-5?
05-21-2013, 02:22 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Paul, this is terrible news, I feel for you. Have you tried other places for quotes to repair it? There are a few places around Melbourne that may be able to do so. Shutterbug in Camberwell, CR Kennedy in Pt Melbourne, 'name-escapes-me' in Collingwood come to mind. And there is also a little Japanese fellow out in Mooroolbark who is a wonder and doesn't cost the earth. I'll find the details if it helps you. PM me if you want.
05-21-2013, 02:24 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Was the camera tech at CR Kennedy? And was the camera bought domestically?

Optimistically, you may be able to make a case that this shouldn't have happened, it was a flaw in design or manufacture, and so CRK should wear the cost of a repair or replace, since they clearly sold you a defective product in the first place. Kind of like the manufacturer recalls on cars that still happen years after they have been sold.

Best of luck!

05-21-2013, 02:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

How are you insured? This could be the result of dropping the camera too, you know... Replacement value + a little of your own savings = K5IIs.

(This forum really does need a devil-smiley.)
05-21-2013, 05:00 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is a 'mint' k-5 for sale in the marketplace. Maybe that is an option for you?
05-21-2013, 05:13 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I'd push back with this.

As said, the shutter is rated for 100k actuations so you surely have a claim under Australian consumer protection legislation, or, if bought with a credit card, your card issuer. (I'm assuming the consumer protection legislation in Aus is similar to here in the UK?)
05-21-2013, 06:15 AM   #11

Original Poster
The quote was from John at Shutterbox and since it was to replace the shutter, not repair it, that is probably fairly close. I did actually drop in to CR Kennedy today, at least I dropped in to where they used to be in South Yarra only to find they have moved to Port Melbourne. Theoretically it should be covered under consumer law, but "not fit for purpose" is a fairly grey area so a lot will depend on CRK's attitude and how much grief I would be prepared to go through to get it fixed.
05-21-2013, 06:36 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Actually I think JohnX is correct. The changes to Aust consumer laws means you probably have a claim against a defective product and are due either a free repair or full replacement
05-21-2013, 06:40 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

CRK have moved to Lorimer St Pt Melbourne. (I did the same thing and went to Chapel St.)
They are waaaaay up in Lorimer st in huge swanky new premises. Almost under the west gate bridge.
05-21-2013, 03:12 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Wow, that is awful. I would definitely look into getting a replacement covered. That really shouldn't have happened so quickly. It might be a little work, but it would be well worth it.

While you are sorting that out, if you have the money for a IIs, I would go for it. I didn't think it would be that big of a difference from the K5, but it really is. If the other camera ends up being replaced or repaired you could either sell it or keep it.
05-26-2013, 09:27 PM   #15

Original Poster
Just a small update: I dropped the camera into the service department at CR Kennedy this morning (for o/s people, CRK are the Australian Pentax distributors). The tech there said he hadn't seen a problem like that before and noted the low shutter count on the service sheet so we'll see what their response is. I checked the actual shutter count with the exif reader app (Check Shutter Count & Camera Manufacture Date Online - EXIF Reader) and it came up at 8,192 actuations. I finally found written evidence of the claimed shutter life here: K-5 : Digital SLR Cameras | PENTAX RICOH IMAGING "this shutter unit withstands more than 100,000 shutter releases" so I think I'm on fairly firm ground in claiming for a free repair.