Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2013, 06:20 AM   #1
Veteran Member

few questions for new k5-iis owner

My K5-iis came in the mail yesterday. So far I'm having a good time figuring out the menu's and stuff. I do have one quick question though.

The battery that came with it has been charging for a *really* long time. It's getting close to five hours and that little green light is still glowing green. I'm starting to worry that there's something wrong with the battery. I have a K-01 so I tested the battery in its charger. That must have been around the three hour mark. The battery's been charging in the K-01s charger for about 2 hours now. I remember the K-01's battery seeming to take a longish time to charge as well but it seemed like just a few hours. I'm worried that I got a defective battery.

Thoughts? Experiences? Am I just impatient?

05-22-2013, 06:27 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
6 to 7 hours is normal....

05-22-2013, 06:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

That's normal for the first charge in my experience. Also, I find that the Pentax charger takes much longer than the Wasabi charger that I have and that there is no difference in longevity of the battery under use.
05-22-2013, 06:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK great! I've never before been so happy for a battery to take so long to charge :-)

I'm super happy that the K-01 and K5-iis use the same battery! I'd be going crazy right now otherwise.

05-22-2013, 06:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Homo_erectus Quote
OK great! I've never before been so happy for a battery to take so long to charge :-)

I'm super happy that the K-01 and K5-iis use the same battery! I'd be going crazy right now otherwise.
I understand, I had a K-5 & K-01 so I too had extra batteries and had one at the office when the K-5IIs arrived. I do suggest you look into the Wasabi 2 battery + charger package for around $20.
05-22-2013, 07:11 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I understand, I had a K-5 & K-01 so I too had extra batteries and had one at the office when the K-5IIs arrived. I do suggest you look into the Wasabi 2 battery + charger package for around $20.
I remembered to grab an extra battery from my K5 to bring with me to work today so that I will be able to play with my K5iis when it arrives later today as well. I have three batteries for the K5 so I will have a couple for each once the K5iis arrives. I hope I am as happy with the new camera as others have been.
05-22-2013, 07:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GvilleRick Quote
I remembered to grab an extra battery from my K5 to bring with me to work today so that I will be able to play with my K5iis when it arrives later today as well. I have three batteries for the K5 so I will have a couple for each once the K5iis arrives. I hope I am as happy with the new camera as others have been.
I can't imagine that you won't be happy with it. Enjoy that new camera smell

05-22-2013, 07:20 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Bear in mind, while not really noticeable, "Fast" chargers will cause more strain on the battery cells. (Such is the nature of electrical storage devices) Not a big deal, usually, but if we're talking 5-10 years of use, perhaps a problem. (Though, if you're using only one battery for that long, it's probably safe to assume that you don't have to recharge a lot, else you'd have spares)
05-22-2013, 07:30 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eulogy Quote
Bear in mind, while not really noticeable, "Fast" chargers will cause more strain on the battery cells. (Such is the nature of electrical storage devices) Not a big deal, usually, but if we're talking 5-10 years of use, perhaps a problem. (Though, if you're using only one battery for that long, it's probably safe to assume that you don't have to recharge a lot, else you'd have spares)
Yes, but my thought is that the extra 2 hours/charge saved is worth more to me than having to replace a $7 battery 10% faster over its lifetime.
05-22-2013, 09:16 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I don't mind longer charging times as long as I know to plan for them. I usually just charge the battery over-night when I know I will be shooting an event the next day.

Another question, how can I reset all of the menu options that I've changed to their defaults? Also, is there another way to see the firmware version number other than starting the camera with the menu button held down?

Is it my imagination or does the 18-135mm focus faster, WAY faster, than the 40mm XS? Does that seem counter-intuitive or what? Also, wow, the 18-135 is way quieter than the 40mm XS. And, speaking of focusing, people weren't exaggerating when they said that the K5-ii can focus in the dark. It's scary how fast it grabs focus in almost no light at all.
05-22-2013, 09:31 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I don't mind longer charging times as long as I know to plan for them. I usually just charge the battery over-night when I know I will be shooting an event the next day.

Another question, how can I reset all of the menu options that I've changed to their defaults? Also, is there another way to see the firmware version number other than starting the camera with the menu button held down?

Is it my imagination or does the 18-135mm focus faster, WAY faster, than the 40mm XS? Does that seem counter-intuitive or what? Also, wow, the 18-135 is way quieter than the 40mm XS. And, speaking of focusing, people weren't exaggerating when they said that the K5-ii can focus in the dark. It's scary how fast it grabs focus in almost no light at all.
There is a menu option toward the end that asks if you want to return to default settings.

I agree with you about the 18-135 - fast, accurate, and quiet focusing.
05-22-2013, 09:41 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I found that setting at the bottom of the very last section on the right but it only seems to have changed the settings within that section. I guess I will dig through the manual some more.

There is a fearsome number of details to learn about this camera! It's funny because compared to my D3100 the K5-iis is WAY easier to navigate and use but compared to my K-01 it feels harder. Probably it's just because the menu's look so similar and the buttons are named the same things but they don't quite work the same.

I was hoping that the 40mm XS would focus more quickly on the K5ii. Ah well.
05-22-2013, 12:10 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The only way to view the firmware version is to hold the menu button when turning on - not that hard?

Also about the battery - it seems that only the initial charge takes that long - after that with 1/4 battery life left, it only takes a couple hours if I remember correctly.

I've been using my K-5 and now K-5IIs for over 3 years now, and am still learning some of the features - I don't think anyone can learn them all from scratch at one sitting. Get you basic settings done and go enjoy your new camera!
05-22-2013, 12:45 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Not a matter of difficulty, it's just that every other camera I've used, including the K-01, let you check the firmware version in the configuration menu. So, I assumed I was missing something when I couldn't find that option in the menu system.
05-22-2013, 12:47 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Not a matter of difficulty, it's just that every other camera I've used, including the K-01, let you check the firmware version in the configuration menu. So, I assumed I was missing something when I couldn't find that option in the menu system.
The K-01 has a newer menu arrangement than the K-5. I prefer the new K-01 and Q arrangement but the K-5 option works. Its tough going back and forth though as I look for the Firmware option in the menus for the K-5