Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2013, 12:51 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are plenty of online outlets to get the usual sterile analysis, resolution charts, and detailed testing. That's not why I go to DigitalRev. If anything, it's for the entertainment as I enjoy watching an Asian guy with a British accent doing zany things in a field I love, namely photography. It was funny how in their recent London Special, there were people on the street who recognized them. I'd consider that a pretty big following and shows that their influence extends beyond the asian markets. If anything, for this latest K-5iis review, Pentax should be glad that they received the free publicity AND in a positive light no less. I had expected Kai to be his usual condescending self towards Pentax, but he surprised me by actually recommending it.

For others who have watched past shows, you can single out how Kai is infatuated with Leica and Canon (i.e. the majority of their "How to" series is done with Canon cameras). Lok, on the other hand, is an Olympus guy. Although he films with a 5D Mark III, he shoots with a PEN and gravitates to Olympus cameras whenever they do comparisons. I tend to believe the people who produce the show are trying to position it as the "Top Gear" of the camera world. It's just that Kai simply doesn't have the wittiness of a Jeremy Clarkson.

05-25-2013, 01:15 PM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Clarkson once said something to the effect of: "People ask me for car buying advice all the time. I recommend a car or think it's brilliant, they sell none of them. I say a car is rubbish and they go on to sell millions. Hear what I say then do the exact opposite" Heavily paraphrased, but you get the drift.

That said, I would never buy a camera just by reading DxO's site, or just by DPR, or just by (God forbid) Ken Rockwell. I would hope the same goes for DRTV viewers. The show is fun, they do stupid things, it's infotainment.
05-26-2013, 11:13 AM - 1 Like   #63

Lok "Why nobody like Pentax?" more Lok "Pentax actually as good as Nikon if not better" and Kai about Pentax AF "it feels just as good if not faster than Nikon in low light". Kai again "The trouble with Pentax is not that they can't make a good camera. That has never been the case.". Finally Kai "There's absolutely no reason why you shouldn't buy this Pentax. In fact I'd recommend it."

No matter what you think about DigitalRev TV this is very good for Pentax, actually the best Pentax"advertice" I've ever seen as Pentax don't seem to know anything at all about marketing ;-)
05-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #64
Pentaxian

They also reviewed the K-01 when it came out. Generally positive

"Pentax really do make some great lenses."

Last edited by Not a Number; 05-26-2013 at 11:40 AM.
05-26-2013, 04:12 PM   #65

Photos: Albums
The trouble with the K5 is, and Kai said it, the problem is it is not made by Canon or Nikon.
Kai gave an unbiased review of the camera, sadly buyers are not feeling the love towards Pentax.
In all honesty Pentax makes great camera and lenses just poor marketing as Lok had mentioned. Maybe we should call Ricoh
05-26-2013, 09:18 PM   #66
Site Supporter

Well I don't think anyone should care if they paint a camera. It's their camera to begin with. They did more marketing than Pentax themselves. The seed has been planted now. I tried finding a K-5IIs in the city of Spokane, WA and not a single one is sold. I went to every electronic store here and no one sells the camera. Maybe more people will start reviewing the camera now.
05-26-2013, 10:29 PM - 1 Like   #67
Loyal Site Supporter

Here out on the Internet, how much has DigiRev spent putting together their "channel". They sell cameras and photo gear, and I dare say, they have to be making a profit - or they would have been gone by now. There are several other stores - with videos, one up in Canada (I want to say the Camera Store) that I come across from time to time, and even what appears to be a private individual down in the land of Oz.

I just have to ask the question. So, why does not Pentax start out small, and start doing something across the Pentax "channel", promoting the brand and their cameras? Its not rocket science. The Pentax report - once a week....

Put together a concept based around the featured capabilities of the Pentax brand and the folks targeted as customers.

Look at what Ben K does with his Pentax gear on fashion shoots.

05-27-2013, 12:59 AM   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by siamthai Quote
Lok "Why nobody like Pentax?" more Lok "Pentax actually as good as Nikon if not better" and Kai about Pentax AF "it feels just as good if not faster than Nikon in low light". Kai again "The trouble with Pentax is not that they can't make a good camera. That has never been the case.". Finally Kai "There's absolutely no reason why you shouldn't buy this Pentax. In fact I'd recommend it."

No matter what you think about DigitalRev TV this is very good for Pentax, actually the best Pentax"advertice" I've ever seen as Pentax don't seem to know anything at all about marketing ;-)

Actually, if they were being honest, the perceived weak spot with Pentax was their AF. Based on this review, it was a strength that rivalled Nikon's best AF system.

05-27-2013, 01:38 AM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by john5100 Quote
it was a strength that rivalled Nikon's best AF system.
The D7100 doesn't have "Nikon's best AF system"
The pro bodies have Nikons best AF system. (The D3's and D4)
05-27-2013, 02:11 AM   #70

The competitiveness of the K-5 IIsīs AF was a surprise for me.
Do we worry to much about that?

The K-5 (II(s)) is what it is. A lovely camera that makes sense, especially with limited lenses.
Real photographers have to love that combination (when they can find it in store).
Button pushers should look elsewhere.
05-27-2013, 05:50 AM   #71
Pentaxian

They don't shoot tracking in their normal reviews. That's the weakness of the k-5IIs' AF. Beyond that, it's pretty comparable, and better in low light.
05-27-2013, 07:50 AM   #72
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The K-01 looks a lot bigger in Kai's hands than it does in mine.
05-27-2013, 08:14 AM   #73
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
The K-01 looks a lot bigger in Kai's hands than it does in mine.
Are you saying you feel sorry for his girlfriend
05-27-2013, 09:14 AM   #74
Veteran Member

Having DRTV doing a video review of the K5IIs no matter how quirky and goofy they are is a good thing for Pentax. They have tons of subscribers and even more views on their YouTube channel. More exposure more sales. More sales more money for R&D which hopefully means better products for us down the road. I have fellow shooters who look at my K5 and say Pentax??? then they see the photos and are like wow. We just need more exposure and this review can help out.
05-27-2013, 09:35 AM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
The D7100 doesn't have "Nikon's best AF system"
The pro bodies have Nikons best AF system. (The D3's and D4)
From what i've read the d7100 uses the d4 51 point af system

DPReview
"In terms of autofocus performance, the D7100 is very much a tale of two cities. On one hand it inherits the 51-point AF system of the flagship D4, with 15 cross-type sensors and a focus sensitivity limit of -2 EV. "

and: "The Canon EOS 6D and Pentax K-5 II/IIs still share the low-light AF crown with their -3 EV sensitivity rating. But for Nikon shooters, this is currently as good as it gets."

Last edited by john5100; 05-27-2013 at 10:00 AM.