Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2013, 09:46 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Kai actually likes Pentax and always wanted Pentax to do good.
As far as I remember in one of his videos he mentioned that he used to be a Pentax guy but got disappointed with how the company was doing lately.

As regarding the tone of the show... they are the TopGear of cameras... in Asian fashion.
Don't take everything too seriously...

05-27-2013, 01:41 PM   #77
Veteran Member

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by Viennese Quote
The competitiveness of the K-5 IIsīs AF was a surprise for me.
Do we worry to much about that?
I recently tried a few Canons and Nikons in a shop (D7100 being one of them). I noticed the AF was faster with some lenses, but about the same with others. From the looks of it, DRtv had the 18-105 on the Nikon. I don't think that's the fastest focusing Nikon lens.

So, I think the bottleneck for Pentax AF is in the lenses, not in the body. Except maybe for the double-check, but maybe the K-5 II s no longer does that.
05-28-2013, 12:56 PM   #78

Check this OUT!!! Finally Some Pentax Love!!

THey give Pentax their well deserved props!!!
05-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #79
Veteran Member

Seen it before?

05-28-2013, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #80
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/225808-digitalrev-tv-finally-review-pentax.html
05-28-2013, 03:19 PM   #81

Photos: Albums
Saw this on digitalRev last week..Why is it so sad that the ongoing joke is that pentax has no friends...c'mon marketing peeps for Ricoh! Get it together!... This is why there's so many flip floppers to Canon and Nikon... and the supporters for this brand's loyalty is tougher than most.
05-28-2013, 03:20 PM   #82

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Kai actually likes Pentax and always wanted Pentax to do good.
As far as I remember in one of his videos he mentioned that he used to be a Pentax guy but got disappointed with how the company was doing lately.

As regarding the tone of the show... they are the TopGear of cameras... in Asian fashion.
Don't take everything too seriously...
LOL lol, Kai = = Richard Hammond?
05-30-2013, 09:57 AM   #83
Site Supporter

I've been a loyal fan of Kai/DigitalRev for a long time. It's known that Kai is a Pentaxian, as he's one of the few that regularly talks/jokes about Pentax. It was nice to see Lok being "Pentax" in the video. Pretty nice video!

05-30-2013, 05:32 PM   #84
Veteran Member

Hahaha! C'mon guys... I think they are doing a very humorous job in their videos no matter what the subject is.

Me, myself, am a Pentaxian but i don't always advocate my peers to go the Pentax way at all.. In fact, most of the time, i turn them towards Canon/Nikon/Fuji.
Why? Because i will always ask what would they like to do with their intended purchases?

For ME, i help guide them when they say:

1) Sports shooting, Canon or Nikon
2) Kids shooting, Canon or Nikon
3) Family shots and general purposes camera, Fuji XE 1
4) Birding, Pentax, Canon, or Nikon
5) Macro, Canon or Nikon
6) Studio or Flash Portrait, Nikon
7) Wish to look "pro" with a DSLR but don't want to spend too much, Pentax

Guess where most of the "crowds" are? That's right, number 3 and 7. And these are casual shooters, whom 90% of the time will not explore further then their intended reasons of getting a camera. IMO, just like recommending a bad camera to your peers and then risk leaving a sour taste in their mouth, thinking of the possible upgrade path is just as important when recommending a camera accordingly to their initial needs/wants.

PS: In case some are curious, i belong to category number 3. But why didn't i go that way then? Cause there wasn't Fuji XE-1 back in 2010. ;P
As for now, i'm learned enough to know how to adapt and have work around my limitations.
05-30-2013, 05:59 PM   #85
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
Hahaha! C'mon guys... I think they are doing a very humorous job in their videos no matter what the subject is.

Me, myself, am a Pentaxian but i don't always advocate my peers to go the Pentax way at all.. In fact, most of the time, i turn them towards Canon/Nikon/Fuji.
Why? Because i will always ask what would they like to do with their intended purchases?

1) Sports shooting, Canon or Nikon
2) Kids shooting, Canon or Nikon
4) Birding, Pentax, Canon, or Nikon
5) Macro, Canon or Nikon
6) Studio or Flash Portrait, Nikon
7) Wish to look "pro" with a DSLR but don't want to spend too much, Pentax

Guess where most of the "crowds" are? That's right, number 3 and 7. And these are casual shooters, whom 90% of the time will not explore further then their intended reasons of getting a camera. IMO, just like recommending a bad camera to your peers and then risk leaving a sour taste in their mouth, thinking of the possible upgrade path is just as important when recommending a camera accordingly to their initial needs/wants.

PS: In case some are curious, i belong to category number 3. But why didn't i go that way then? Cause there wasn't Fuji XE-1 back in 2010. ;P
As for now, i'm learned enough to know how to adapt and have work around my limitations.
Did you just ride in on a Trojan Horse?

I'm going to disagree and say All numbers except 1 would get my vote for Pentax only because Canikon offers more choices in fast zooms.
05-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #86
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote

I'm going to disagree and say All numbers except 1 would get my vote for Pentax only because Canikon offers more choices in fast zooms.
+1 I agree with you. If the 50-135 2.8 or the 60-250 focused faster I could have sports covered also.
05-30-2013, 06:36 PM - 1 Like   #87
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote

Let me start off by saying it's all in my opinion ya... Lemme state my opinion accordingly to your objection, don't take offense though...

2) Kids shooting = Consumer usually falls into the category of shooting kids who are similar to speedy gonzales, and therefore, we all know that Pentax has a not so fast AF system right? So yea...

3) Family shoots and general purposes = Consumers within this category seeks a lighter, and compact camera without compromising image quality. Just on these 2 factors, especially the first one, weight, you'll know that Fuji is lighter. And furthermore, it just feels very well-balanced when hung on the neck all day, even with their "kit" lens; 18-55/2.8-4.

4) Birding... Err... I did say Pentax.. Why are you disagreeing? LoL!

5) Macro = Erm... I suppose we find that it's pretty fascinating to tell the average Tom who seeks to upgrade further more than the longest 100mm WR, "Dude! Look for that FA*/A* 200m macro man... It costs a BOMB but it's DAMN good man~"
Or maybe, "Dude! Look out for that rare discontinued Sigma 180/3.5 Macro man... *and pays a premium or equivalent to the new 180/2.8 macro*"
Erm... Fun eh? LoL!

I don't find it fun to risk allowing my peers to feel kinda misled into thinking that Pentax would have almost everything the other camp, even for 3rd party support. And we ALL know that even for 3rd party support, Pentax mounts are usually sold for a premium that only God knows why..

6) Studio = Pentax user = *walks over to manually change every power settings manually, click! oh darn... a lil bit more.. walks over again and change* or deals with cables, inconsistent flash exposures and what nots.

CaNikon user = *click!~ Oh.. Too much flash... changes wireless flash settings wirelessly without moving at all and Click!..* Ah... Nice CLS baby....

7) Hey, Pentax is cheap and good... Pretty much a good reason just to have a new toy to play..

QuoteOriginally posted by bass3587 Quote
+1 I agree with you. If the 50-135 2.8 or the 60-250 focused faster I could have sports covered also.
Erm.. Dude... You just said it, "IF" and "could"...

At the end of the day, there is never a bad camera.. It all depends on what a user needs it for.... We, photographers, i believe should be accepting of other brands no matter what.. Recognize each systems strengths and weaknesses and help share the knowledge without being biased. That's what i do...

Of coz, i will explain to them why i recommend a particular route according to their needs/wants.. Not just tell them "CaNikonJi" and shut them up... LoL!
05-31-2013, 04:43 PM - 1 Like   #88
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
Hahaha! ..

If you get XE1 plus a zoom, I see no point why not take K5 + 18-55WR instead? It's even cheaper.
I can run in the rain with K5 kit, in the snow, be splashed on the beach which I often do.
XE1 has no point as a family camera because it not usable in 70% of family related situations. And it's a slower camera too.

I can be as wet as Robin Hood and K5 will still work!

Hahahaha! .. [Robin Hood's laughter]

05-31-2013, 08:04 PM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
If you get XE1 plus a zoom, I see no point why not take K5 + 18-55WR instead? It's even cheaper.
I can run in the rain with K5 kit, in the snow, be splashed on the beach which I often do.
XE1 has no point as a family camera because it not usable in 70% of family related situations. And it's a slower camera too.

I can be as wet as Robin Hood and K5 will still work!

Hahahaha! .. [Robin Hood's laughter]

Robin Hood: Laugh Like a Man - YouTube
Erm... I don't know what's the culture's like over at your side. Here, when there's a drizzle, people don't care and carry on shooting, whatever the camera is being used. When there's a downpour, they find shelter OR they easily just slide in the camera into their bag.

Camera may be WR, but them human beings aren't...
Kinda moot point here, that's why...
06-17-2013, 08:27 PM   #90
Site Supporter

The digitalrev humor got old with me a while ago, but I stumbled into this one before I found it already posted here. I liked his use of the geek v popular-dude analogy. I was really pleased to see the low-light AF not requiring a nasty AF light like the Nikon; that is not vital to me but it's a clear difference. Hooray for the geeks!