Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2013, 06:42 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Which is nice and all but still, consider the source and wait for it to be painted.
Or have this done to it.

Still love the video though. I wish they'd do an extreme durability competition for high end APS-C, willing to bet the Pentax would survive longer than Nikon, and would surely make the canon look like a dog's chew toy.

05-24-2013, 07:18 PM - 1 Like   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eulogy Quote
willing to bet the Pentax would survive longer than Nikon,
Most probably better than the cheaper Nikon cameras but I don't think it would survive like this Nikon-
Skip the first minute
05-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
This guy is calling someone geeky? That's funny.
DRTV Christmas Song - The Hard On Rap - YouTube
Nice video, he does mention not being a brand whore and "having a bit of Pentax" and Pentax 645D!

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 05-24-2013 at 08:22 PM.
05-24-2013, 08:07 PM   #49

Photos: Albums
I just checked with my mum. I'm a geek. More so when I carry my Pentax. I have to concede that the DRTV review was probably right on that one.

05-24-2013, 09:48 PM - 2 Likes   #50
Inactive Account

I find these guys actually really funny and a great light hearted look on the real factors between cameras. The finiky little details are always going to be debated by those entrenced in each others camp so why bother. Kai is up himself though but most popular media personalities kind of have to be.
The bit with them taking the shot in low light cracked me up as I could see the white Nikon AF assist lamp turn on, miss, turn on, miss, lol - also to my eyes all the head to head shots looked better on the Pentax! (I must be 'one eyed').
The thing that was spot on is the spec numbers, 24MP vs 16MP / 51 AF points vs 11 AF points, we know it makes little difference (eg doesn't medium format just use 1 AF point?).
But this silly stuff sells cameras, even weight to someone who knows little, greater weight = greater quality, luckily Pentax cameras feel great but often they are behind a cabinet so there are only bullet points on a ticket and the sales person.
05-25-2013, 12:07 AM   #51
Veteran Member

The secret is out. Those camping for the k5iis prices to drop would be angry lol. You can't handle the truth canikon fans....
05-25-2013, 12:13 AM   #52
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
The thing that was spot on is the spec numbers, 24MP vs 16MP / 51 AF points vs 11 AF points, we know it makes little difference (eg doesn't medium format just use 1 AF point?).
But this silly stuff sells cameras, even weight to someone who knows little ....
24MP vs 16 MP is not silly stuff. It is 50% more data delivered by the sensor of the same size. And it does matter a lot.
51 AF points also matters a lot because it allows muct better tracking AF. And this is the reason people buy Nikon camera instead of Pentax, even switching from Pentax to Nikon, because Pentax cannot cope with more demanding AF actions.

Really silly thing is not even your silly coment: it is the fact that Pentax knows all that, they know that more ambitious Pentax users are leaving the brand, and they do what about it?

05-25-2013, 12:23 AM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Most probably better than the cheaper Nikon cameras but I don't think it would survive like this Nikon-
Test photo - Le crash test du Nikon D3s - YouTube
Skip the first minute
Really ! A "fire crash test" for this D3s ... a bit ridiculous ! J
05-25-2013, 01:39 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Test photo - Le crash test du Nikon D3s - YouTube
Skip the first minute
Honestly, I'd be willing to bet it'd withstand such punishment. A Canon 7D suffered worse on DRTV (They actually blow torched it, rather that just placing it on paper that was burning *around* the body for about 20 seconds), and I'm rather confident the K-5 would outlast the 7D by miles. I'm pretty sure the only way to stop a K-5 would be to either damage the shutter, or short it's electronics out. (IE: Repeatedly applying power underwater)
05-25-2013, 08:20 AM   #55
Pentaxian

Kai from DRT is a clown and their reviews are a joke.

I've seen lens "reviews" in which one lens was clearly front-focusing and declared "not as sharp".

There is an unashamed bias in favour of certain brands.

Having said all that, their clips are typically entertaining and the K-5IIs fares pretty well in this "review".

If one does not mistake their entertainment for proper evaluations then the clips are fine.

Last edited by Class A; 05-25-2013 at 06:13 PM.
05-25-2013, 08:35 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's not that there is no pleasing some people - the reviews are bias, full of derisive comments, and often end in the mutilation of a camera. Popularity does not make someone ethical, moral, polite, respectful, or deserving of praise. While it is doubtless in Pentax's favor to be on the show, the show itself is full of self-important and quite poorly mannered dolts IMHO. Enjoy watching it all you like but the information there is never actually accurate and always seems to come with a decided agenda.
Yep... I'm with you, Doc.
05-25-2013, 09:31 AM - 1 Like   #57
Veteran Member

Despite what anyone thinks of DRTV (I happen to really like it and find it entertaining), they are by far and away the largest photog YouTube channel and provide tremendous exposure.
05-25-2013, 09:34 AM   #58
Veteran Member

It's not that there is no pleasing some people - the reviews are bias, full of derisive comments, and often end in the mutilation of a camera. Popularity does not make someone ethical, moral, polite, respectful, or deserving of praise. While it is doubtless in Pentax's favor to be on the show, the show itself is full of self-important and quite poorly mannered dolts IMHO. Enjoy watching it all you like but the information there is never actually accurate and always seems to come with a decided agenda.
I'm pretty confident that DRTV would agree with you. I say this with all due respect doc, but I think you are missing the point or at least the humor.
05-25-2013, 09:43 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bullitt_60 Quote
I'm pretty confident that DRTV would agree with you. I say this with all due respect doc, but I think you are missing the point or at least the humor.
Not missing the point, I said it would increase exposure. That doesn't make what they do Ok. Ends, means, behavior, they do matter.
05-25-2013, 11:30 AM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Kai from DRT is a clown and their reviews are a joke.

I've seen lens "reviews" in which one lens was clearly front-focusing and declared "not as sharp".

There is an unashamed bias in favour of Nikon products.

Having said all that, their clips are typically entertaining and the K-5IIs fares pretty well in this "review".

If one does not mistake their entertainment for proper evaluations then the clips are fine.
100% my thoughts also. I enjoy many of their shows (for example, I thought the recent light painting demo was excellent).

Also not so keen on destruction of things for the entertainment value - a little too close to the consumerist bone.