Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2013, 03:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Broken Screw Drive

I am pretty sure the in body autofocus drive on my K-5 has stopped working. All I her is a wizzing but the lenses dont turn, on the plus side all of the sdm/hsm lenses are fine. Does anyone have an idea the cost to repair something like this and the amount of time it takes? I live in Nova Scotia, Canada BTW.

05-24-2013, 03:24 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Check that the little screw-thingy on the mount of the body (which is spring-loaded) just isn't stuck and isn't popping out...
05-24-2013, 03:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Its not popping out as it should, I tried poking at it carefully but it is still sitting flush with the mount. It dies still seem to have spring but not popping out far enough.
05-24-2013, 03:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Fixed It. pheww

Not sure what worked but I put a couple drops of oil down into where the screw drive fits, then I put a lens on and as it was tying to focus I hit the side with my knuckles and it came loose after a minute. crisis averted.

btw thanks vonBaloney

05-24-2013, 05:25 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Maybe some dirt got stuck and the oil made ir loose? Good that it was solved and a little oil shouldn't hurt as long as it was kept in the right spot.
05-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Use a small drop of rubbing alchohol next time . It does not leave a residue and evaporates . Learned this lesson years ago when someone spilled a rum coke on my LX at a wedding . Camera was fine but winder got all gummed up . Oil might attract dust and make matters worse in the future.