Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2013, 04:41 PM   #1

Moire or IQ that is the question

My K-7 crashed and burned after only 2.5 years. (circuit board fail). I am now looking at replacing the camera with another. I am looking at the K-5 II and the K-5 IIs. I understand that the the only difference in the two is the absence of the AA filter on the K-5 IIs. My question is:

What do you guys think is more inportant, incresed image quality with the chance of moire, or decresed image quality and no moire? How often will the average person run into noticable moire effects with the K-5IIs? Lately most my photography has been travel and nature, however I do use for everyday events as well.

Lorrie

05-24-2013, 05:09 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I hardly noticed visible moire effects on my birds pictures - moire is supposed to occur on bird feathers - on more than 5000 thousand shots made with high end FA*600 f4 prime telephoto
05-24-2013, 06:55 PM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lorrie61 Quote
My K-7 crashed and burned after only 2.5 years. (circuit board fail). I am now looking at replacing the camera with another. I am looking at the K-5 II and the K-5 IIs. I understand that the the only difference in the two is the absence of the AA filter on the K-5 IIs. My question is:

What do you guys think is more inportant, incresed image quality with the chance of moire, or decresed image quality and no moire? How often will the average person run into noticable moire effects with the K-5IIs? Lately most my photography has been travel and nature, however I do use for everyday events as well.

Lorrie
Even though lately manufacturers have been leaning toward filterless cameras, I think that the difference is so small that you'd be better off having a traditional camera that doesn't have the increased risk of moire. Running an unsharp mask on your photos will sharpen them to look very much like photos from a filterless camera.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-24-2013, 07:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lorrie61 Quote
How often will the average person run into noticable moire effects with the K-5IIs?
Almost never. I've had my K-5 IIs for five months, and I've had two or three shots that had something that maybe, possibly, could have been moire. It was only visible if your were really looking hard for it. I have found exactly one picture out of nearly 10,000 that definitely has moiré:

It's not very obvious at websize. Here's a 100% crop:

But watch what happens when I wave the magic moiré wand in Lightroom:

All better!

Also, you say the K-5 II will have "no moire." That's not guaranteed. The AA filter reduces the chances of something that is already extremely unlikely, but moiré is still possible even with a low-pass filter in place.

Unless your primary subject is men in houndstooth jackets, get the IIs. "Travel, nature, and everyday events" is exactly my style, and I've had no problems at all.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I think that the difference is so small that you'd be better off having a traditional camera that doesn't have the increased risk of moire. Running an unsharp mask on your photos will sharpen them to look very much like photos from a filterless camera.
I believe that both the risks and the benefits of the filterless camera have been exaggerated, but from my experience, the benefit is small, but there, and the downside is nonexistent.

Also, here's a link a thread by several people who were extremely impressed when they went from the K-5 to the K-5 IIs:

K-5IIs - OMG

05-24-2013, 11:45 PM   #5
Pentaxian

The Bayer-AA-filter in the K-5 II is a precision optical part that is necessary for the correct operation of the camera.

Under many circumstances other sources of blur, such as diffraction at higher f-stops, hand-shake, etc. will provide enough blur to make the filter unecessary. The sharper your shots, though, the more important a Bayer-AA-filter becomes in order to avoid false colour, including moiré.

Only when sensors will have reached 100MP, one can fully rely on lenses to play the filtering part. Before such time you'll always have to manage potential problems with a filterless sensor.
05-25-2013, 01:30 AM   #6
Pentaxian

this is perhaps the worst Moire I have ever seen with my K5IIs.

But it is still a predictable and therefore controllable artefact. I also have a K7 and I consider the K5IIs to be superior in all aspects.