Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #1

Several questions about Pentax K-5 II and something else

1) In extremely bad lighting conditions I used to shoot series of 3 three photos after self-timer to choose the best one. BUT: judging by what I have read K-5 II disables SR for self-timer shooting. Will I be able to do the same trick with K-5 II with interval shooting or I won't? Will I loose SR when doing this?

2) There are older AF lenses without AF/MF switch. WIll I damage the camera if I try to manual focus along with auto focusing? How am I supposed to use MF with these lenses at all?

3) How are those hotshoe converters which convert high-voltage flashes to low voltage called?

4) Is using the SR as hassled as it seems after watching the video from the blog on the frontpage?

05-25-2013, 12:09 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Casion Quote
) There are older AF lenses without AF/MF switch. WIll I damage the camera if I try to manual focus along with auto focusing? How am I supposed to use MF with these lenses at all?
Yes, you might damage something. Use the switch on the camera to disengage the AF shaft.

4) Is using the SR as hassled as it seems after watching the video from the blog on the frontpage?
No, as long as you make it a habit to half-press the shutter button (which you should be doing anyway).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-25-2013, 12:17 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
No, as long as you make it a habit to half-press the shutter button (which you should be doing anyway).
So I should half-press the shutter button and hold it for a moment UNTIL the SR is engaged?

Yes, you might damage something. Use the switch on the camera to disengage the AF shaft.
But if there is none?
05-25-2013, 12:38 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So I should half-press the shutter button and hold it for a moment UNTIL the SR is engaged?
Yes, a little light will come on in the view finder to indicate SR has locked. Takes a split second but you do have to watch for it.
But if there is none?
Yes, there is. As Adam said use the switch on the CAMERA, not the lens.
by what I have read K-5 II disables SR for self-timer shooting
AFAIK the camera disables SR when in self timer mode as it assumes it is on a tripod or at least not being hand held.

To be honest I do not understand what you mean about a series of 3 pictures after self-timer though. It may be possible to do what you want but without knowing what you are trying to achieve I just don't know.

05-25-2013, 12:39 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Right. It will then stay on for a while, even if you decide not to take your shot right away, and even if you don't keep the button half-pressed.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-25-2013, 03:06 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Yes, there is. As Adam said use the switch on the CAMERA, not the lens.
Oh, that cleares it.

To be honest I do not understand what you mean about a series of 3 pictures after self-timer though.
Power self timer - relese shutter - 2 seconds pass - BAM - series of 3 photos is produced. Not bracketing.

It will then stay on for a while, even if you decide not to take your shot right away, and even if you don't keep the button half-pressed.
How long will it do? Some minutes or how?

Last edited by Casion; 05-25-2013 at 03:21 PM.
05-25-2013, 03:21 PM   #7

Original Poster
Fixed disgusting typos.
05-25-2013, 04:30 PM   #8

3) How are those hotshoe converters which convert high-voltage flashes to low voltage called?
See this, I think it is what you want. I have used these for years on my other cameras, they work perfectly. Wein Safe-Sync Hot Shoe to Hot Shoe (SSHSHS) 990-560 B&H Photo

05-25-2013, 06:00 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Power self timer - relese shutter - 2 seconds pass - BAM - series of 3 photos is produced. Not bracketing.
Well, I'm still not sure why you want to do that but I think the k-5 can achieve sort of the same thing with interval shooting. You set the number of images you want and the time between, press start shooting and then focus and press the shutter button. Not exactly what you wanted as I do not think there is a delay.

You could also achieve exactly what you want with an intervalometer.
05-26-2013, 02:27 AM   #10

Original Poster
I see, it is possible. But main question: will I be able to use SR with interval shooting and intervalometer?
05-26-2013, 09:10 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, I just tested it and the answer seems to be yes. With interval shooting the SR light stays on during the three exposures I made. Using my intervalometer I set it for a 3 second delay and then to take 5 images spaced 1 second apart. The SR light remained on during the 5 exposure run.

Just FYI but if you are going to be using this on a tripod Pentax recommends turning off SR while on a tripod.

And I'm still curious as to what advantage you gain by doing this? If you are on a tripod SR is not needed (or recommended) and if you are hand holding why the delay? Just trying to understand what you are doing, maybe I will learn something.
05-26-2013, 09:23 AM   #12

Original Poster
Rejoice! Thank you very much!

Just FYI but if you are going to be using this on a tripod Pentax recommends turning off SR while on a tripod.
SR might ne very useful on tripod during the windy weather. I stabilised 10 second exposures and the result is fine.

Might be different with Pentax, but I hope.

Just trying to understand what you are doing, maybe I will learn something.
Pressing the shutter button shakes the body, so my target is first press the shutter and after that take photos.
06-09-2013, 07:43 AM   #13

Original Poster
5) Does K-5 II output LiveView image through the AV or HDMI cable?
07-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #14

Original Poster
The answer to the question 5) resides in TFM.
07-13-2013, 08:10 AM   #15
Pentaxian

2) There are older AF lenses without AF/MF switch. WIll I damage the camera if I try to manual focus along with auto focusing?
EDIT:

You won't damage anything when using MF lenses. But you may damage the camera when you manual focus an AF lens while the AF switch is not set to "MF".

You have already been given the answer (Wein-Safe), but I'd suggest to buy Cactus V5 triggers instead. If you put one of those between your camera and the flash, it performs the same function as a Wein-Safe adapter (it shields your camera from the flash voltage). But for little more money than for the Wein-Safe, you get two V5 and then you can use the flash off-camera (100m+ distance) which is way better anyhow.

Last edited by Class A; 07-20-2013 at 08:22 AM.