Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
05-25-2013, 03:06 PM   #1

secondhand K-5 issue

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi guys,

I have an issue that I hope you can help me with:

I just brought a secondhand k-5 off ebay and its a beautiful bit of kit. The problem i have with it is that there are marks (maybe dust/ scratches) somewhere in the camera body that show up on the images that I am taking. I know that it isn't the lens that's at fault as I have tried a couple of different lenses and the marks are still there.

I have attached an image of the sky that I took today and as you can see the marks are pretty intrusive.

I'm really looking for advise as to what you think the issue could be, and: if there is anything that I can do about this myself/ do I have to send it off somewhere to get it fixed/ or is it unfixable (in which case I'l send it back and get a refund, hopefully).

Any advise would be greatly received, Im pretty bummed out about it to be honest!

Thanks for your time.

Dave

Attached Images

05-25-2013, 03:43 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That's just dirt and dust on the sensor. Try running the sensor cleaner program. If that doesn't get rid of all of it, you may have to clean the sensor. Do some searching here to find out how to do it.
05-25-2013, 04:39 PM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deebee1984 Quote
Hi guys,

I have an issue that I hope you can help me with:

I just brought a secondhand k-5 off ebay and its a beautiful bit of kit. The problem i have with it is that there are marks (maybe dust/ scratches) somewhere in the camera body that show up on the images that I am taking. I know that it isn't the lens that's at fault as I have tried a couple of different lenses and the marks are still there.

I have attached an image of the sky that I took today and as you can see the marks are pretty intrusive.

I'm really looking for advise as to what you think the issue could be, and: if there is anything that I can do about this myself/ do I have to send it off somewhere to get it fixed/ or is it unfixable (in which case I'l send it back and get a refund, hopefully).

Any advise would be greatly received, Im pretty bummed out about it to be honest!

Thanks for your time.

Dave
One of these might come in handy to blow dust off your sensor:
Giottos Rocket Air Blaster, Manual Air Blower with Bulb AA1900

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-25-2013, 05:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with Adam I had the same dust on the sensor and after running the sensor cleaning procedure and then blowing out the camera with a rocket air blaster the dust went away. Sometimes a preventative measure is when you change lenses is to blow out the lens mount with the air blaster just so no dust settles in.

05-25-2013, 05:11 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Just dust. Get a rocket blower and one of these:

Amazon.com: Promaster Systempro CCD/Cmos Sensor CLeaner: Camera & Photo
05-25-2013, 05:55 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Sometimes the dust blower isnt enough. I've had dust before that no rocket blower could blow away. Dont ever try to use compressed air to clean a sensor either, as it may blow things other than just air and damage your sensor. Also, I've tried dry brushes, such as these:
Amazon.com: D-SLR Sensor Cleaning Brush for 1.5x & 1.6x Sensors: Everything Else
they may seem to work for some, not for me. I ended up getting smears. At the end what worked for me was a wet clean with Pec pads:
Sensor Cleaning
I would stay away from the pre-moistened ones sold at B&H as you get only 4 at $20. If you buy some pec-pads/solution off ebay, it will cost you roughly $20 and you can use a 100 times.
Eclipse 2oz Optic Cleaning Fluid and PEC Pad 4"x4" Wipes 100 Pack Photosol | eBay
Wet clean can be kinda scary if you have not done this before, but you quickly realize its fairly straightforward. Especially when you know you are not cleaning the actual sensor, but rather a protective glass above it. Either way, try the blower first (IN A DUST FREE ROOM) before going further
05-26-2013, 05:21 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Trying to clean your own sensor can end badly if you don't know what you are doing. Best to take it to get cleaned if some dust doesn't blow off.

05-26-2013, 05:33 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply guys., Im spoilt for choice. So, Ive decided on the following:

the blower:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00017LSPI/ref=gno_cart_title_3?ie=UTF8&p...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

and this pec pad cleaning stuff:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0000AUR1I/ref=gno_cart_title_2?ie=UTF8&p...=AWK1Q6AQWBW6H

PEC-PAD Photowipes for Photographic Emulsion, 100: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

just curious, do they include one of them plastic swab stick type of things in with this stuff or will I have to purchase one seperately. That copper hill article is a belter, really good stuff.

Many thanks for all your input guys, Im feeling much better about this now.
05-26-2013, 07:22 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

I've tried just about every sensor cleaning product there is. Wet cleaning is rarely needed -- only with "splotches" (dried oil or water) and once in a while a bit of dust will get stuck on there good. But that Promaster sticky thing (comes in a variety of other brand names as well) is absolutely indispensable as every other method invariably leaves behind its own dust or residue. So no matter what it takes (usually only air and the sticky thing is needed), the sticky thing is always the last step as it doesn't leave anything behind. Pentax themselves actually sold their own version of it -- the only sensor cleaning product they sold if that means anything...
05-26-2013, 08:08 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deebee1984 Quote
just curious, do they include one of them plastic swab stick type of things in with this stuff or will I have to purchase one seperately. T
Nope. No swabs included. I had previously made the mistake of buying the pre-moistened and packaged swabs (waste of money) and i just reused one of their swab sticks. All you need is a rubber band that would hold the pec pad down on the swab.
05-26-2013, 03:57 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks again for your advice people, I now have some cleaning implements on order. I cant wait to get it squeaky clean and get it out shooting, although I might take it out before then for a play just to get used to it. Much obliged!

Last edited by deebee1984; 05-26-2013 at 04:30 PM.
05-26-2013, 07:53 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Rocket blowers are relatively safe and highly effective. I'd stick to the blower for the first few passes. Don't contact clean unless necessary.
05-26-2013, 09:22 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I am surprised that no one here has mentioned the very good Pentax O-ICK1 Image Sensor Cleaning Kit...
05-26-2013, 09:26 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I am surprised that no one here has mentioned the very good Pentax O-ICK1 Image Sensor Cleaning Kit...
That's the sticky thing. The Promaster (or other identical versions under different brands) are actually better I think (with two sized sticks to choose from) and are cheaper too...
05-29-2013, 01:01 PM   #15

I recommend the cleaning kit above.