Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2013, 06:19 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
in Europe for vacation and 5 people asked me if i wanted to sale my camera

I went to Paris, London, Amsterdam, Switzerland & Germany which was quite lovely. Paris was a little over rated imo. but hey, this isnt trip advisor. anyways while vacationing i had several people come up to ask me about my camera. In a crowd of canikons my Silver K5 with my 18-135mm lens stood out in a crowd. Europeans seem to know more about the Pentax brand than the U.S. but still wasn't full on sure about the whole brand. but everywhere i went weather it being on a double decker, the Paris metro, or the London underground my camera drawn attention. "Monsieur, what kind of camera is that?" "its a Pentax K5." "its beautiful! may i hold it?" "no." 3 people in London gave me their email address to let them know if i ever consider selling it email them, and one guy in paris and a Lady in Switzerland. I even got a nod from a canon guy and some nikon users told me "its was very pretty." i was warned of pick pockets, scammers and camera snatchers. i did witness the scammers but not the other two so i wouldnt let any one hold my camera but a lady and a real fat guy, because i knew i could catch the fat man if he tried to run and i could beat up the lady if either tried to take it!
my trip was lovely and took some memorable shots. it was also nice being complemented on what i know is a great camera. im also considering a dive housing for my scuba adventures.

happy snapping everyone!

05-29-2013, 06:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ha, thats great!
And the silver K-5 really is a beauty, can't blame them for noticing
05-29-2013, 06:48 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wonder what the response would have been if you had a silver FA31 mounted on it - you would (should ) have been mobbed like a rock star
05-29-2013, 06:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by josh_smith77073 Quote
I went to Paris, London, Amsterdam, Switzerland & Germany which was quite lovely. Paris was a little over rated imo. but hey, this isnt trip advisor. anyways while vacationing i had several people come up to ask me about my camera. In a crowd of canikons my Silver K5 with my 18-135mm lens stood out in a crowd. Europeans seem to know more about the Pentax brand than the U.S. but still wasn't full on sure about the whole brand. but everywhere i went weather it being on a double decker, the Paris metro, or the London underground my camera drawn attention. "Monsieur, what kind of camera is that?" "its a Pentax K5." "its beautiful! may i hold it?" "no." 3 people in London gave me their email address to let them know if i ever consider selling it email them, and one guy in paris and a Lady in Switzerland. I even got a nod from a canon guy and some nikon users told me "its was very pretty." i was warned of pick pockets, scammers and camera snatchers. i did witness the scammers but not the other two so i wouldnt let any one hold my camera but a lady and a real fat guy, because i knew i could catch the fat man if he tried to run and i could beat up the lady if either tried to take it!
my trip was lovely and took some memorable shots. it was also nice being complemented on what i know is a great camera. im also considering a dive housing for my scuba adventures.

happy snapping everyone!
So they wanted to buy the camera for its physical appearance rather than its performance? The chrome/black colour scheme used to be ubiquitous until about a decade ago, so I'm surprised it is so desirable now. I wonder if you would have gotten any offers for a coloured K-30.

05-29-2013, 07:17 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by josh_smith77073 Quote

happy snapping everyone!
lol...too funny
05-29-2013, 07:29 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
I wonder what the response would have been if you had a silver FA31 mounted on it - you would (should ) have been mobbed like a rock star
if only i had that lens
05-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
So they wanted to buy the camera for its physical appearance rather than its performance? The chrome/black colour scheme used to be ubiquitous until about a decade ago, so I'm surprised it is so desirable now. I wonder if you would have gotten any offers for a coloured K-30.
you're exactly right! they had no idea how it performed, which i do agree that aesthetics are important, but not as important as function. i know i wouldnt want a camera that takes amazing pics but looks like an ugly piece of s**t. tho i do wonder now if i would of got offers if i had a colored K-30. although my sister inlaw bought a crystal blue k-30 and she says her clients compliment her camera all the time. my friend that went with me has a white k-x i sold her. (which she loves.) shes new to the DSLR world and i told her its a good entry level camera to start with. but no one noticed.

Last edited by josh_smith77073; 06-04-2013 at 03:47 PM.