Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2013, 04:56 AM   #1

K-5 won't turn on

I have a brand new K-5II, bought just over a month ago.

A couple of times it just would not turn on. The sequence when this happens seems to be as follows:

• Turn switch to "on"; nothing, not even a battery indicator.
  • Turn off and turn on again; a slight pause, then the battery indicator shows full charge, but nothing else shows - no menus, no ability to take photos.
  • After a few goes of turning on and off, the camera finally clears itself and turns on quite normally.
  • On the first occasion that this happened, despite the switch being turned to off, one bar of battery charge still showed.
On one occasion, when I could not get any response whatsoever, a friend suggested I take all batteries out (I have a back-up grip with AAs in it as well as the main battery), leave it for a few moments and try again. This worked.

I note that there is a comment under the trouble-shooting section of the manual that static can occasionally cause this issue; so taking all the batteries out would make sense.

What was more disturbing was the fact that this happened three or four times in one week.

One other comment that might be helpful: I make a point of programming the batteries so that the camera chooses the main battery as first priority, rather than putting it into any sort of automatic choice mode. Both sets of batteries are fully charged.

Is there a simple (and unworrying) explanation? Or should I look at getting the camera checked over whilst it's still under warranty?

William

06-01-2013, 05:22 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi and welcome to PF ... I have never had this type of problem with my K-5, but I've read other threads where removing the battery solves a problem.

Maybe try a few times without the grip installed, just to eliminate this as a source of the trouble ... good luck and maybe someone else will address your problem better than I can ... J
06-01-2013, 05:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

What AAs do you have in the grip. The camera can be sensitive to the electrical load and some forms of battery are not ok. Are you using a Pentax grip or a third-party grip? Have you had the problem with just the D-Li90 in the camera itself without AAs or the grip?
06-01-2013, 05:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I also suspect the grip, especially if you have a third party one. Shoot without it for some time to see if it's the problem.

06-01-2013, 05:37 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Hi and welcome to PF ... I have never had this type of problem with my K-5, but I've read other threads where removing the battery solves a problem.

Maybe try a few times without the grip installed, just to eliminate this as a source of the trouble ... good luck and maybe someone else will address your problem better than I can ... J
Thank you for that. I'll try removing the grip (or at least taking the batteries out of it).

It seems to have calmed down for the moment at least; so maybe it was just a weird series of atmospheric conditions creating static. We have had a very strange spring and early summer here in Europe - so who knows?

William
06-01-2013, 05:40 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
What AAs do you have in the grip. The camera can be sensitive to the electrical load and some forms of battery are not ok. Are you using a Pentax grip or a third-party grip? Have you had the problem with just the D-Li90 in the camera itself without AAs or the grip?
I'm using Energizer, lithium AAs. I tend to find that anything less powerful just doesn't work properly; that, at least, was my experience with my K100-d. It's a third party grip, so maybe I'll have to fork out some extra cash for a Pentax one.

Thank you all for responding.

William
06-01-2013, 07:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sophie100 Quote
I'm using Energizer, lithium AAs. I tend to find that anything less powerful just doesn't work properly; that, at least, was my experience with my K100-d. It's a third party grip, so maybe I'll have to fork out some extra cash for a Pentax one.

William
Sorry about your troubles. I've used both the Energizer Li and the Eneloops in my grip without trouble. If you try the camera without the grip and have no issues then it's probably the grip. Good luck.
06-01-2013, 08:42 AM   #8
Veteran Member

That is my advice too. Remove the grip entirely and use the camera without it for awhile. If the behavior never recurs, you know the grip is the problem.

06-01-2013, 09:01 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Another question that might be adding trouble here - are you using a Pentax battery or generic in the camera?
06-01-2013, 09:03 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Another question that might be adding trouble here - are you using a Pentax battery or generic in the camera?

Stan,

I now have 6 D-Li90 batteries - 3 Pentax and 3 non-Pentax. The only one that has gone sour on me is one of the Pentax branded batteries.
06-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #11
Veteran Member

If your test shows that it is the battery grip I advise you to buy a genuine grip. Discussions in other threads show that almost all problems originate from third-party grips.

Some more points you can try:

- Use 6 new AA batteries of the same make, preferable from the same batch. Do not mix different makes.
- Make sure all 6 batteries are charged in the same way (to the same level).
- Clean the contacts of the connector between grip and body with a soft cloth (do not touch them with your fingers).
- Set the battery type in menu Tools | 3 | AA Batt type.

Hope this helps.
06-01-2013, 10:27 AM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I have a brand new K-5II, bought just over a month ago.

A couple of times it just would not turn on. The sequence when this happens seems to be as follows:

• Turn switch to "on"; nothing, not even a battery indicator.
  • Turn off and turn on again; a slight pause, then the battery indicator shows full charge, but nothing else shows - no menus, no ability to take photos.
  • After a few goes of turning on and off, the camera finally clears itself and turns on quite normally.
  • On the first occasion that this happened, despite the switch being turned to off, one bar of battery charge still showed.
On one occasion, when I could not get any response whatsoever, a friend suggested I take all batteries out (I have a back-up grip with AAs in it as well as the main battery), leave it for a few moments and try again. This worked.

I note that there is a comment under the trouble-shooting section of the manual that static can occasionally cause this issue; so taking all the batteries out would make sense.

What was more disturbing was the fact that this happened three or four times in one week.

One other comment that might be helpful: I make a point of programming the batteries so that the camera chooses the main battery as first priority, rather than putting it into any sort of automatic choice mode. Both sets of batteries are fully charged.

Is there a simple (and unworrying) explanation? Or should I look at getting the camera checked over whilst it's still under warranty?

William
Is the battery in your camera low? Try telling the camera to prioritize the camera's battery before the one in the grip (there's a menu setting for it), and then see if the problem persists. If it doesn't, then there's something wrong with the batteries in your grip, or with the grip itself.

If it does, then check to ensure that the battery in the body is adequately charged. Even if the grip is at full power, the camera may occasionally shut itself off if the main battery doesn't have enough power.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-01-2013, 11:09 AM   #13
Pentaxian

William
William... one detail to clear up. You wrote in your original post "Both sets of batteries are fully charged". Are you sure the grip is designed for lithium-ion rechargeable AA batteries which I think I've only seen used in some flashlights? I'm no expert but it's possible it only accepts NiMH rechargeables which are of a different voltage.

Last edited by IchabodCrane; 06-01-2013 at 11:15 AM.
06-01-2013, 01:15 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
William... one detail to clear up. You wrote in your original post "Both sets of batteries are fully charged". Are you sure the grip is designed for lithium-ion rechargeable AA batteries which I think I've only seen used in some flashlights? I'm no expert but it's possible it only accepts NiMH rechargeables which are of a different voltage.
Hi there,

When I said "fully charged", I meant that they are full strength, new, lithium batteries. They're not rechargeables. The indicator suggests that the camera is happy with both the internal battery, as well as the AAs in the grip. What it says, of course, may not be the whole truth - as others have suggested.

I can see this being a tricky one to prove one way or the other. I'm something of a "binge" photographer, which means there are quite long periods when I don't use the camera at all. The problem I encountered came up after I had been using it a lot. So the static theory may be correct, though this doesn't discount it being provoked by the third party grip.

I note that the one thing no-one has suggested is that what the camera might need is a thorough inspection under warranty. The shop I bought it from are quite helpful, so I might give them a ring all the same, just in case this has come up with a particular batch as a recognised problem.

Thank you again to everyone who has responded. You have all been most helpful.

William
06-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Hi there,

When I said "fully charged", I meant that they are full strength, new, lithium batteries. They're not rechargeables. The indicator suggests that the camera is happy with both the internal battery, as well as the AAs in the grip. What it says, of course, may not be the whole truth - as others have suggested.

I can see this being a tricky one to prove one way or the other. I'm something of a "binge" photographer, which means there are quite long periods when I don't use the camera at all. The problem I encountered came up after I had been using it a lot. So the static theory may be correct, though this doesn't discount it being provoked by the third party grip.

I note that the one thing no-one has suggested is that what the camera might need is a thorough inspection under warranty. The shop I bought it from are quite helpful, so I might give them a ring all the same, just in case this has come up with a particular batch as a recognised problem.

Thank you again to everyone who has responded. You have all been most helpful.

William
William,
It may need an inspection under warranty but I think we're all focused on trying to diagnose the source of the problem as there are many variable here. If you rule out the 3rd party grip as the source then by all means have it checked out, or earlier if you wish. But, if it is the 3rd party grip and you do not rule that option out then when you get the camera back from its warranty inspection/repair the fault is likely to reoccur.