Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
06-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
A bit of hyperbole here, in both your comment and the original. Chaff is useless, but as many of us have proven the K-5 II/s is far from it. The K-5 II offers significant AF improvements over the original K-5 in real-life use. I don't believe any serious Pentaxian has illusions that it's the best on the market. It tracks more slowly. When a runner is coming at me I only have a few chances to click the shutter - each time the AF-C refocuses. But I'm not sure I need - or even want - more shots than this.

We all work with the tools we have. But sometimes when you have to work harder it seems you get better results. And many of us are pleased and even proud of the results we get.
The year 2013 and you're saying there is finally respectable AF performance? Great. A little late for me but good to know.

06-04-2013, 11:36 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
The year 2013 and you're saying there is finally a respectable AF performance? Great. A little late for me but good to know.
Everybody knows that Pentax still has some work to do on their AF systems. No arguments that other brands are better at it.
However that doesn't mean Pentax AF is un-usable, especially in the latest models.

Why keep on beating a dead horse!?
06-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
No, Norm, I'd say you are constantly defending your choice as if the little extra other cameras have is insignificant and we shouldn't bother. I'm just reminding you do not lose focus in the face of being a fanboy of a particular brand. I have both praise and criticism of each and every camera I've ever owned.
Please, I know you mean well, but there's really nothing you need to remind me of, and let's make a deal, you don't tell me what you think I'm doing, and i won't tell you what I think you're doing. People can draw their own conclusions.
06-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
LOL at the battery door ... unless you accidentally hit it with a hammer ... how in the world you open it by accident?
I sometimes do it when getting the camera out of the bag. I can't see how it would be possible with the camera out... it's not a big deal, but I liked the K10D/K20D system better.

L.E. Silly me, of course it happens with the card door - the battery door, as we know, is secured and impossible to open accidentally.
Maybe they made a typo, and meant card door?

Last edited by Kunzite; 06-04-2013 at 01:30 PM.
06-04-2013, 01:17 PM   #35
Pentaxian

A Nikon D3200 with 24 MP gets 2400-2500 lw/ph extinction at 3400 lines.
A Pentax K-5 IIs gets 2300/ lw/ph.
If a D7100 gets the same as a D3200, you sure don't get much of a bump for your money, and an extra 8 MP per image.

On another interesting note, the Canon 6D currently is rated at 2400 lw/ph... the Nikon D3200 exceeds that. For those in the habit of saying any modern FF will out resolve any modern APS-c... you can stop saying that now. In fact the 2300 lw/ph of the K-5 IIs is darn close to the 6D.

I really liked the comparison shots between the K-5 , K-5 II and K-5 IIs. I like the K-5 II images, but, IMHO my K-5 is close enough. Interesting though, confirmed is my suspicion that while 100 lw/ph is hard to notice when pixel peeping, 200 make more of a difference. I see little difference between the K-5 and K-5 II, but a noticeable difference between the K-5 IIs and the other two. There's something beyond straight lw/ph going on there. But there is a pretty noticeable progression, as you'd expect.

I can see a difference, but I'm still skipping the K-5 IIs. It's just not that much of a difference. Hopefully the next upgrade will be a little more eye popping. Like a 30 MP APs-c that tops D600 resolution. Although the Nikon results could suggest, that APS-c is really hitting the wall of diminshing returns.
06-04-2013, 01:30 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
One explanation is that -- whether justifiable or not -- the Nikon D7100 must come out with 5% ahead in the overall score... What a joke!
So DPR has it out for Pentax? Is this a new thing? Beucase back in 2010 they gave the K-5 a 83% gold medal and the D7000 an 80% silver.
06-04-2013, 02:46 PM   #37
Mr_Canuck

Forgetting to note the universal benefits of in-body stabilisation is a real miss. Otherwise, a pretty fair and believable review. The K5 is still relevant and simply lags behind in AF performance. I have one, and I agree. And I'm not getting rid of it quite yet. So the K5II is a bit better.

My biggest gripe is the K5's processor. Shooting RAW, it's... wait for it, wait for it... and Pentax should've taken some measures to improve video functionality, which is now relevant because of the widespread use of DSLR's as video tools. And what about wifi? There are new things that a lot of people find useful, and they aren't on the Pentax units. But good for dpreview to reaffirm that such a well implemented 16mp sensor isn't wanting for anything where it really counts, and that the build is still the best combination out there if you care about portability.

06-05-2013, 05:39 AM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
So DPR has it out for Pentax? Is this a new thing? Beucase back in 2010 they gave the K-5 a 83% gold medal and the D7000 an 80% silver.
Can I kindly ask you not to quote me like that (i.e., cutting out a lot of text, replacing it with "...")?

My "What a joke! " referred to their assessment of the SD card needing tape to not open on its own. Your quote makes it look as if it referred to their potential need to let the D7100 come ahead by 5% points.

Only DPReview can tell you what their current motivations are. Maybe the fact that they have opened a store that does not carry Pentax has something to do with the fact that their current assessment is not a balanced one. Sadly, Shawn Barnett still has not responded to the concerns raised against the review in his thread. So far, that's bad form. I hope he will surprise us with a response sometime.

Please note that many reasonable people agree with my comments regarding the inexplicable feature scores the K-5 II has received in comparison to the D7100.
06-05-2013, 06:07 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The issue for me isn't the scores. I am fine if they want to rate the Nikon higher because it has a better auto focus system, is better for videography, or if they think it has a better sensor. The problem I have is that in the narrative they seem to skip over obvious strengths of the Pentax system that might suggest that it compares well in some respects versus the D7100 (build, ergonomics, buffer size, shake reduction on the sensor).
06-05-2013, 07:17 AM   #40
Pentaxian

I think either the DPReview staff had a camera with a faulty door or they just made it up. That's just my opinion based on the glaring lack of corroborating evidence, and the fact that my (albeit different) K30 card door has never popped open unintentionally ever. DPR has lost a lot of my respect since Phil Askey sold it to Amazon.
06-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can I kindly ask you not to quote me like that (i.e., cutting out a lot of text, replacing it with "...")?

My "What a joke! " referred to their assessment of the SD card needing tape to not open on its own. Your quote makes it look as if it referred to their potential need to let the D7100 come ahead by 5% points.

Only DPReview can tell you what their current motivations are. Maybe the fact that they have opened a store that does not carry Pentax has something to do with the fact that their current assessment is not a balanced one. Sadly, Shawn Barnett still has not responded to the concerns raised against the review in his thread. So far, that's bad form. I hope he will surprise us with a response sometime.

Please note that many reasonable people agree with my comments regarding the inexplicable feature scores the K-5 II has received in comparison to the D7100.
Sure thing. I read it as the "What a joke" as a conclusion of your whole statement. My bad.
06-05-2013, 10:07 AM   #42
Veteran Member

That was in 2010, both cameras were in the same generation of cameras so a respectful score when comparing both of them, as we all know.

The year is 2013, both the K5IIs and the D7100 is in the same generation, now all of a sudden you feel it's not a respectful score?

From 2010 to 2013, the D7100 is really leaps and bounds better and more improved than the D7000, a true upgrade. From 2010 to 2013, the K5II is not much of an upgrade at all from the K5.

So, going back to this:
What's the problem? Not really seeing where this should frustrate you or change your views about DPReview. Let me guess, since the K5II didn't get a favorable score against a better all around camera at DPReview now their views and test results will be wrong and frowned upon until the K3 comes out and possible outscores the other?
06-05-2013, 10:11 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lightbulb Quote
So many credible reviewers sang praises of k5iis over 7100
Honestly, I have only seen one and that one didn't sing praises towards one or the other. Since this thread is about a review of one (the K5II) and the other (the D7100) has been brought into the discussion, can you post links to the reviews you are talking about?
06-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #44
Pentaxian

How on earth can in-body image stabilisation be not be one of the "Pros" in the conclusion?
I've been wondering that for a few years now. But honestly, do we really care what some Canikon fans think?
06-05-2013, 10:24 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
That was in 2010, both cameras were in the same generation of cameras so a respectful score when comparing both of them, as we all know.

The year is 2013, both the K5IIs and the D7100 is in the same generation, now all of a sudden you feel it's not a respectful score?

From 2010 to 2013, the D7100 is really leaps and bounds better and more improved than the D7000, a true upgrade. From 2010 to 2013, the K5II is not much of an upgrade at all from the K5.
I agree Joe. That's the point I was trying to make in that quote.