Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2013, 12:30 AM   #16

thank you for your reply
I think you are right, it's too much to ask for individuals to carry out this kind of test
Basically, I was hoping to reproduce the result of the shutter lag test from Image resource's review

I will try to be more specific here, if I may:
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
- to get a AF lock or speed in actually getting an in-focus image?
i want to test the shutter lag
- in AF.S or AF.C mode?
AF-S
- using centre-point or 5 point AF or 11 point AF?
center single AF
- tracking a moving focus target or shooting a static target?
static
- under low-light or bright daylight?
well lit environment
- using lenses with screw-drive or SDM/HSM lenses?
doesnt matter, it's prefocused
- using small fast primes or long slow telezooms or macro lenses?
doesnt matter, same as above
- firmware version in use?
hmm, i don't know what version Image resources used for their test, but it would be nice if tester can provide this information so we can see wether firmware version affects the result of shutter lag or not.
- AF assist lamp on or off?
off, since it's well lit and prefocused
oh i forgot one more thing, the aperture of the test lens
I suggest using f/5.6 for both K-5 and K-5ii/s just to be fair. (not sure if this matters, cause I don't know what aperture Image Resources used for their test.)

My main confusion comes from the shutter lag test on this page of the review
the shutter lag of K-5ii is slower than k5(almost twice slower!)
the definition of the shutter lag they test in image resource(quoted from the same page)
QuoteQuote:
The shutter lag numbers above measure time from shutter button press to image capture, with the lens already set to the correct focal distance. This largely removes the issue of differences in lens focusing speed, and measures how fast the camera can measure and act on focus information
if this is true, then it contradicts the comments I read from the internet. Most of them feel that K-5ii is faster (of course, no comment is stated scientifically how much faster) than K-5 in well lit environment.
if not, I am afraid that Image Resource got an lemon?!

I have no doubt that K-5ii/s performs way better than K-5 in low light situation, since K-5ii/s can focus at -3EV is well known feature, and it has also been widely proved that it does what Pentax claims.

09-13-2013, 06:40 AM   #17
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by souless Quote

I have no doubt that K-5ii/s performs way better than K-5 in low light situation, since K-5ii/s can focus at -3EV is well known feature, and it has also been widely proved that it does what Pentax claims.
This issue has been taken care of in the wake of fw. v.1.15 . I'm 95% sure K-5 can now AF @ -3EV. Because v.1.15 is fresh-off-the-oven we will need to wait for some time to collect users' info in that matter. I have a feeling Ricoh did it because they're almost sold out of K-5II/IIs and there's still some substantial K-5 inventory left they want to quickly unload before unveiling new FF model (which surely will be very expensive and - due to fierce competition in FF area - not really worth dying for). But , again, it's just me...