Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2013, 11:10 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Review of K-5II/IIs at imagaing-resource

Imaging-resource.com just released their review of the K-5II/IIs:
Pentax K-5 II and IIs review: Does removing the antialiasing filter make for better photos?

They prefer the K-5II rather than the K-5II. The comments are very positive overall

"Both of these cameras make the grade for our Dave's Pick list."

"For the typical advanced amateur or enthusiast who's happier to live with an antialiasing filter so they don't need to worry about moiré, the Pentax K-5 II presents a very attractive option, even if in many respects its design is now a couple of years old"

Interestingly, the timing coincides with the DPReview review release?!

08-22-2013, 05:38 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This thread never got any replies, but I only just found the review over at imaging-resource, and there is one sentence in "cons" list in the K-5II-review that baffles me! Here it is:
"Autofocus noticeably slower than K-5 was"

WHAT is that about? I was sure the autofocus was one of the few improvements over the original K-5 - and I certainly thought that was in terms of both speed and accuracy. Is this really true? Any K-5II owners that would care to comment on this?

Last edited by MetteHHH; 08-22-2013 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Typo
08-22-2013, 07:59 AM   #3
Forum Member

I have the K5IIs and I find that the autofocus seems snapper, it is definitely more accurate (especially with f2.8 lens') and in lowlight this things is a monster! There are times it finds the focus without the focus assist light and I know the K5 that I traded in would not have been able to get the focus right with the green light of illuminated focus misses!

Having had the K5 and now owning the K5IIs there is no comparison in my experience.
08-22-2013, 12:03 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
Imaging-resource.com just released their review of the K-5II/IIs:
Pentax K-5 II and IIs review: Does removing the antialiasing filter make for better photos?

They prefer the K-5II rather than the K-5II. The comments are very positive overall

"Both of these cameras make the grade for our Dave's Pick list."

"For the typical advanced amateur or enthusiast who's happier to live with an antialiasing filter so they don't need to worry about moiré, the Pentax K-5 II presents a very attractive option, even if in many respects its design is now a couple of years old"

Interestingly, the timing coincides with the DPReview review release?!
Interestingly,

You ended your statement with a question mark as some Australians do...lol. I'll take all the technology I can get even if I never fully use it.

Last edited by tabl10s; 08-22-2013 at 12:25 PM.
08-22-2013, 01:51 PM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gilzuma Quote

Having had the K5 and now owning the K5IIs there is no comparison in my experience.
I believe the only difference ( except that "air gapless lcd screen") is $250 missing from your credit card. I own K-5 and before I purchased it I spent one week evaluating K-5II and two days evaluating K-5IIs... and I realized that both were just sales/
marketing gimmick targeted at Pentax enthusiasts who expected "something new" after almost three years since K-5 unveiling.
08-22-2013, 01:56 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by atarget Quote
I believe the only difference ( except that "air gapless lcd screen") is $250 missing from your credit card. I own K-5 and before I purchased it I spent one week evaluating K-5II and two days evaluating K-5IIs... and I realized that both were just sales/
marketing gimmick targeted at Pentax enthusiasts who expected "something new" after almost three years since K-5 unveiling.
Do try to shoot at -3EV light levels. It might "enlighten" you.
08-22-2013, 05:15 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Great, do it without the AF lamp.
08-23-2013, 01:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I shot 10s of 1000s over a long time with my K-5. I've since shot 10s of 1000s over several months with my K-5IIs.

I'm consistently getting better results with my K-5IIs. Fewer low-light AF failures. Better AF-C lock-on. Some of the sharpest images, viewed at 1:1 without any sharpening in Lightroom, that I have ever taken.

Perhaps I have simple rapidly improved my technique around the time I bought the K-5IIs. Perhaps it is just luck. Or perhaps it isn't a gimmick!

I actually don't care a lot. I have that satisfaction and confidence that comes from knowing there isn't a K-mount camera with better AF or better sharpness. "Peace of mind" is often valuable, and I have peace of mind.

08-23-2013, 05:35 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MetteHHH Quote
"Autofocus noticeably slower than K-5 was"

WHAT is that about?
I wouldn't worry about it.

Perhaps they have observed that the K-5 II actually finishes to AF in very low light and takes its time compared to the K-5 that just declared "ready" even when focus had not been obtained. I am only speculating and normally Imaging Resource are better than making a statement about AF speed that would be misleading if my speculation were true.

I have never heard from any other source that the K-5 II's AF is slower than the K-5's AF.

Even if it were slower, it would be totally worth it. The accuracy and determination even in really low light is uncanny.
08-23-2013, 06:04 AM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I wouldn't worry about it.

Perhaps they have observed that the K-5 II actually finishes to AF in very low light and takes its time compared to the K-5 that just declared "ready" even when focus had not been obtained. I am only speculating and normally Imaging Resource are better than making a statement about AF speed that would be misleading if my speculation were true.

I have never heard from any other source that the K-5 II's AF is slower than the K-5's AF.

Even if it were slower, it would be totally worth it. The accuracy and determination even in really low light is uncanny.
There are night vision cameras you may want to try in super low light conditions. Some Sony models as I remember. Most folks who take pics don't do it under subdued lighting. It's like pixel peeping guys - kind of deviation... Of course, you're welcome to give it 500% magnification and count how many pixels are packed in 1/100 square inch area .Sort of "catch and release" fishing
08-23-2013, 07:53 AM   #11
Veteran Member

There are night vision cameras you may want to try in super low light conditions. Some Sony models as I remember. Most folks who take pics don't do it under subdued lighting. It's like pixel peeping guys - kind of deviation... Of course, you're welcome to give it 500% magnification and count how many pixels are packed in 1/100 square inch area .Sort of "catch and release" fishing
Perhaps "Most folks who take pics don't do it under subdued lighting" all the time. I certainly don't. But when I need to, I need a camera that can handle it.

And, of course, I want that to be the same camera that I have just been using before those shots, and that I will be using after those shots, and that all my lenses work with. In other words, my K-5IIs, or the Pentax camera with even better AF that I replace it with.
08-23-2013, 08:37 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Since I do a fair amount of social photography, low light is very important to me. I was quite happy with the advancement of the k5 over the k7 and I was even more satisfied with the advancement of the k5iis over the k5 in low light situations. In good light, both the k5 and k5iis are good and if anything, I think the k5iis is a bit more certain to find the focus point quicker.

I have used the k5 and the k5iis side by side using a two camera holster so I could shoot with two focal lengths - there was a wedding I was doing recently and I had the FA31 on the k5 and the FA77 on the k5iis - I was getting much faster and surer hits with the k5iis, I decided pretty early on during the night shots that the FA31 was going to be for posed shots only. I take a lot of candids so I did not want to have the focus assist beam on. My real world experience has shown that the k5iis is a large improvement over the k5 in terms of AF.

Here's a recent camp out with friends where the campfire shots were often taken at iso 12800, f2 at around 1/20th:
Camp Comrade 2013 - a set on Flickr

The k5iis did great and I'm glad I bought it.
08-23-2013, 10:23 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
The k5iis did great and I'm glad I bought it.
Is the world split between those who have a K-5IIs and love it, and those who don't have a K-5IIs and can't understand how anyone could love it?
09-12-2013, 12:48 AM   #14

I wonder if someone who owns both K-5 and K-5II/s could kindly do a real life comparison of AF speed for us...
Since the reviews from Dpreview and Image resource have different results on this matter...
Thanks in advance..!
09-12-2013, 02:43 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by souless Quote
a real life comparison of AF speed for us...
These things are so hard to test casually.

What do you mean by 'speed':

- to get a AF lock or speed in actually getting an in-focus image?
- in AF.S or AF.C mode?
- using centre-point or 5 point AF or 11 point AF?
- tracking a moving focus target or shooting a static target?
- under low-light or bright daylight?
- using lenses with screw-drive or SDM/HSM lenses?
- using small fast primes or long slow telezooms or macro lenses?
- firmware version in use?
- AF assist lamp on or off?

etc. There are a lot of variables to examine. The more specific the tests, the more meaningful the results.