Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-05-2013, 03:41 PM   #1

Am I nuts to sell a K20D and get a closeout K5?

I went from a K100D to a K20D about 3 years ago. Both were bought on clearance. I've drooled over the K5 specs since it was released, which was not long after I picked up my K20D. The dynamic range and high ISO performance are something that I would really love to have.

Now the prices are really low on the K-5, (especially, the 2-lens WR zoom kit from Adorama).

I actually called them and they are also willing to give me bundle discounts on the DA 35/2.4 and DA 50/1.8 (saving about $200 combined off their normal prices). Its such a sweet deal, I am really having a hard time holding back.

However, I just started reading some of the reports on K-5 reliability and I'm shocked! Both my K100D and K20D were/are bulletproof. Not a single problem with either. Then I read about K5 sensor issues, and buttons falling off. Am I nuts to trade up my sturdy reliable K20D for a K5 on closeout (assumed to be later production?)?

Are the reliability problems with the K5 isolated to early production? Are later production units showing similar issues? The lens release button issue really seems to be a major slap in the face to Pentax owners.

Also, do you think the K-5 is still a competitive camera? I don't care about doing video with my DSLR. For still photography, it seems like things haven't advanced that much, at least in the mid priced market. I mean, is there another sub-$700 camera (discounting for the lenses in the kit) that can out shoot the K-5?

I am just an avid amateur and will never spend the higher prices on the latest or pro-level equipment. I just want something that is reliable and produce good images in a wider variety of lighting conditions.

Thoughts?

06-05-2013, 03:46 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
No...the K-5 is totally worth it.
06-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I think you would regret not jumping on the deal. Those "reliability issues" are, for the most part, from early production items. We don't hear much about such things lately. The sensor stain issue is history and I only read about one or two cases of buttons falling off. I've had my K-5 a couple of years now and never a problem. It IS a tank, and takes pretty good pictures as well.
06-05-2013, 03:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, the K5 is still a very relevant camera!

I went from a K20 to a K5 when the K5 came out and did not regret it. The low light capabilities of the K5 when shooting RAW alone is worth it. The K5 high ISO performance also is leaps and bounds above the K20. The dynamic range of the K5 is noticeably larger (3f stops!) The K5 is also a bit more compact, lighter and just feels "right".

Note that the K20 is still a very decent camera. I still have mine kitted up with a Sigma 18-200mm superzoom as loaner camera for my friends and family to teach them about dSLR photography.

Pat

06-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The k-5 is still a viable camera for certain and the package deal, plus the combination deal for the 35 or 50, make it an amazing value for a Pentaxian. Pentax has shown that they are continuing to support the K-5/7 body with the K-5II series so things like grips and other features should continue to be available. Also, Ricoh has announced that they will continue to support firmware updates after cameras are discontinued, like the K-5. All in all its a good time to upgrade to one IMHO.
06-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Buy the extended warranty. It's $20 for two extra years warranty and you can send it in for a refresh right before the warranty expires. All camera companies have problems, look at the Nikon dust issue. The K-5 is a great camera.
06-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I did it and it is totally worth it. I really like my K-5, bullit proof so far.

06-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm not sure now is the best time. Pentax is going to come out with a new APS-C this year (possibly this summer) and you'd end up with a fairly old camera. If price is an issue, I'd wait till the new camera comes out, and jump on the K5ii. It'll be much cheaper by then. You could do what I did and get a K-01 for $250 to play around with while you wait. I got mine for the new sensor and video mode. It's sooooo much camera in such a small package. I have no idea where everyone is coming from saying it's huge and bulky.

However if you aren't caught up on having the "latest and greatest" then by all means the K5 is an excellent camera. I just try to follow the "buy nice or buy twice" philosophy so I end up waiting a while before upgrading any of my equipment (this applies to all my hobbies).

Last edited by NitroDC; 06-05-2013 at 04:56 PM.
06-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-5 is a substantially better camera than the K20D in both image quality and autofocus. It's a great deal now, and likely to be a camera that will last for some time. Buy it, and get the extended warranty.
06-05-2013, 05:39 PM   #10
Pentaxian

The K-5 is a great camera, but the lens release button does fall off. Get an extended warranty.
06-05-2013, 07:43 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks for the insight. Nitro, I think all of those $250 deals on the K-01 are dried up. That was a lot of camera for the price.

Yes, the 2-y ext warranty is a no brainer and I have it included in the quote I received. K5, 2-WR kit zooms, 2 decent DA primes and 2y warranty all under $1200.

Now,
I just need to find a buyer for my K20D...
06-05-2013, 11:54 PM   #12

dropping fast glass for a k5 upgrade?????

Hi guys.
I own a k20 plus lots of manual focus lenses. I have been toying with upgrading to a k5 for approx. 1 year .with cashflow a bit low at mo I have toyed with selling some glass to fund upgrade.
one thing that's nagging me is do I really need a f1.2 lens anymore once I buy a k5 body.
will a k5/f1.4 combination outshoot a k20/f1.2 hands down..as I see it I can maybe liberate £200 to invest in body upgrade just by selling one lens.
06-06-2013, 12:47 AM   #13
Forum Member

I'm doing the exact same thing these days,-upgrading from k20d to K-5.
The K20d is a decent camera, but shooting a wedding inside a dimly lit church made me realize that I needed the K-5 for its low light performance.
Also the extended DR of the K-5 will come in handy. No, you're not a nut.
06-06-2013, 02:54 AM   #14
Veteran Member

You absolutely wouldn't regret it...I owned the K20D and deliberated about the K5 for quite a while, my only regret is that I didn't but one earlier, far better than the K20

Simon
06-06-2013, 04:49 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by billx2 Quote
I mean, is there another sub-$700 camera (discounting for the lenses in the kit) that can out shoot the K-5?
OK, Has anyone really thought about this? I am seeing the Nikon D90 for less and the D7000 approach this price, not quite, but close...

I've had this lingering thought "why am I still shooting Pentax?" I am really not that invested into the lenses. I only have three older (inexpensive) manual focus lenses (the nicest is my PKA 50mm F1.8) and an inexpensive F 100-300mm zoom.

What really brought this to the front of my mind is when I tried to search for a Pentax dealer in my area to actually go hold the K5 (or K5ii), there are NONE! When I got into Pentax, Ritz was around and carried them, but they are gone now. Supposedly Fry's Electronics has Pentax, but they are about 50 miles on the other side of town for me.

I still like the idea of being different, but may Pentax is just too fringe/obscure now.