Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2013, 10:46 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
any one have a dive housing for their K5?

if so, you have any pics from a dive? im thinking about getting one. im a tad of an adrenaline junky and plan on diving with some great whites hopefully in the near future. i want some great shots. i have a pentax wg-1 and a gopro hero 2 i do love those little Digital cameras and have taken some great shots with both but im curious if a dive housing is worth that expensive price.

Last edited by josh_smith77073; 06-08-2013 at 12:05 AM.
06-06-2013, 12:19 AM   #2
Pentaxian

A guy on here in the for sale section had one for sale. Had it custom made for the K-5. Price, fairly steep.
06-06-2013, 07:15 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
I would LOVE to find a UW housing for my K-30 with my 18-135 lens rated for 40 meters that cost well less than what I paid for the camera/lens. I wouldn't care if the lens had a fixed focal length (18mm) while in the housing.

Olympus and Sony have produced inexpensive OEM UW housings for their P&S cameras that are pressure rated to 30-40 meters. It is one big reason I have owned a couple Olympus P&S cameras, and still have one. My current and getting old, Stylus u780's jpeg engine even includes a couple UW scene modes.

Cameras that proudly advertise themselves as WATERPROOF and then make you search hard to find that means you can dunk them for a few minutes to a maximum of 3-4 meters irritate the heck out of me and are useless for my purposes. Worse is the gear that won't tell you of this limitation until after you purchase the gear so you can read the instructions inside the shrink wrap, should be condemned to hades.
06-06-2013, 10:00 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I don't know anything about them, but there's a company called Aquapac that sells submersible cases for dSLRs and they're about $140. Supposedly waterproof to a depth of 5m (not 40m, mind you). You can find them on the web (I think they've been discussed elsewhere on this forum). I think it would be fun to try one of these out for snorkling (we have some nice options here in Panama) but probably not diving...

06-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
5m is the bottom of the local school's swimming pool. If I recall, Aquapac also sets limits for the length of time you can be at this depth. For what it is worth, the pressure at 5m is 1.5X the ambient pressure at the water's surface.
06-08-2013, 12:01 AM   #6

Original Poster
ya thats the problem they are all steep!
06-08-2013, 12:04 AM   #7

Original Poster
ya 5 meters is nothing i took wg-1 rated at 33ft deep to 70ft deep and worked perfect. worst case i'll just keep pressing my luck with a deeper rated point and shoot lol my go pro is pretty sweet and rated with enough depth to suit me but its fixed focal length