Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K 5 Shake Reduction

I've recently bought a Tokina 80 - 200 f2.8 manual focus zoom, the big, traditional, all-metal and glass tank of a lens. Heavy brute, which does help holding it steady.

Of course, the K 5 doesn't recognize it for shake reduction. I've been setting the SR at about 150 mm. Does anyone have thoughts, ideally backed up with experimental data, about how to set such zooms? If set to 200 mm would the SR be too much at 80 mm, for example. Many thanks!

06-07-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Two schools of thought:
A) Set it to the mid-point and hope it averages out
B) Set it to the focal length you use the most

I've not seen any experimental data to give one or the other any credence. There are quite a few threads about this and AFAIK the answer is always one of the above.
06-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
I've recently bought a Tokina 80 - 200 f2.8 manual focus zoom, the big, traditional, all-metal and glass tank of a lens. Heavy brute, which does help holding it steady.

Of course, the K 5 doesn't recognize it for shake reduction. I've been setting the SR at about 150 mm. Does anyone have thoughts, ideally backed up with experimental data, about how to set such zooms? If set to 200 mm would the SR be too much at 80 mm, for example. Many thanks!
If you want to play it safe, set it to 80mm, as then it's guaranteed not to over-compensate, basically.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks, John and Adam.

If I can figure out a standard "shake" I'll make some tests. Let's see: after a standard eight hour sleep and two standard cups of coffee....Nah! I can't really imagine any way to calibrate myself, so I'll "meditate" on the problem.

06-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As Adam said, setting at the short end is best. That way, you can never ruin wide angle shots due to overcompensation. The worst that might happen is at 200mm, you may only get 1-2 stops of stabilization.
06-07-2013, 02:18 PM   #6

In theory, I agree with Adam, but if I recall correctly, MightyMike did a SR vs. focal length test and the results point to setting to the long end.

Peter