Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2013, 04:36 PM   #1

K-5 for Architectural Photography

Would like to know if anyone is using their K-5 for professional level architectural photography. For a side job I shoot interior and exterior of homes for Realtors. Setup I use for this type of photography is simple; K-5, DA* 16-50, flash and tripod. Would like to become more serious about this type of photography, but before going into it have been reading about Architectural photography. First, the real pros use medium format cameras. DSLR users that I have read so far are using Canon and Nikon. In both instances lenses seem to play a big part.

So would like to hear back from Pentax users whether the K-5 can match up against Canon and Nikon and what types of lenses are produced by Pentax, Sigma, Tamron etc. that work well for this type of photography.

Thanks,
Rich

06-10-2013, 04:49 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I took a number of interior photographs to follow some construction works, both professionally and personally. Here are my comments. My basic lenses for interiors are the DA15mm and DA10-17mm because these are the widest lenses that I have.

The DA15mm is superb in terms of IQ, and it does work well, although I do need a wider lens from time to time. The DA10-17mm is nice for its flexibility and fisheye at 10mm. Lastly for pano, I use the FA31mm and stitch the photographs with Hugin.

Overall I can recommend the DA15mm and I would suggest another UWA lens about 10-12 mm to complement the DA15mm.

Hope that the feedback may assist.

Last edited by hcc; 06-10-2013 at 06:12 PM.
06-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by richman Quote
Would like to know if anyone is using their K-5 for professional level architectural photography. For a side job I shoot interior and exterior of homes for Realtors. Setup I use for this type of photography is simple; K-5, DA* 16-50, flash and tripod. Would like to become more serious about this type of photography, but before going into it have been reading about Architectural photography. First, the real pros use medium format cameras. DSLR users that I have read so far are using Canon and Nikon. In both instances lenses seem to play a big part.

So would like to hear back from Pentax users whether the K-5 can match up against Canon and Nikon and what types of lenses are produced by Pentax, Sigma, Tamron etc. that work well for this type of photography.

Thanks,
Rich
The only area where Pentax is lacking is in the tilt/shift lens department (the only such lens costs over $3k). T/S lenses for Canon and Nikon full-frame DSLRs are available in a variety of flavors. Also, for interior photos, the Nikon 14-24mm is a killer lens on FX, but wide lenses like the 15mm or 10-17mm fisheye will also work well on Pentax cameras.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-10-2013, 05:27 PM   #4

I do Real Estate photography for a living. I have a K-5 IIs and use a Tamron 10-24 mm lens. I am moving up the the Pentax 12-24 mm because it is a better lens.
(I rented the lens ) The Tamron is very good and i will be selling it soon. Interior lighting is the challenge in this department. you must get your flash off of your camera if you are going to step up to really good pictures. You need mulitiple off camera flashes fired by triggers. If you want to do it right it is an investment. If you learn to do it right you don't need HDR. HDR is for covering mistakes or lack of, in real estate photography. Go look up Scott Hargis and buy is online course and you will know what you are doing and save your self years of learning. The Pentax is fine or great for this type of work. The Pentax 12-24 mm lense is the best out there for this camera.

That 16-50 mml lens that you have is probably good enough wide open. Sometimes showing to much room and ceiling ruin the picture and less is more. I am talkng about real estate, you are trying to help an agent sell a home so you want to apeal to a buyer. I also use virtual tours to show the property. Good pictures will have the oustide window properly exposed with the room properly lit up. You have to light it up!

06-10-2013, 05:30 PM   #5

I should have added, this is not as easy as it looks. I thought it would be a piece of cake but it is difficult and a lot of learning. It takes a lot of time and jobs to figure this out. Make sure you can afford the time before you start making money. Also how is the local real estate market where you live? My market is very slow making it more difficult to find work. There are just too few of homes for sale. I wish you the best!
06-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #6

Oh, one more thing... no fish eyed lenses. Make your virticals, virtical and straight. Keep that lens level. I use the level in my camera everytime I move the tripod.You will shoot at a lower level than your face and you will adjust depending on the room. The camera must be level or you will lose your lines. (again, check out Scott Hargis)