Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2013, 03:40 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A plastic baggy with an elastic band. With that you can make any old camera/lens combination WR... And without the extra price of the WR features... And the baggy-WR is better too!

How can we ever trust the WR? Exhanging a lens is enough to capture a single grain of sand between the seal and the body, compromising WR. Or the age of the seals can play a factor too. Ever seen a o-ring that lasts forever?

I don't find the marketing pictures of wet Pentax DSLR/lens combinations to be very fair. Not when there's a big disclaimer to go with them.

06-11-2013, 06:50 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
Sorry to hear, it but:

I've never seen an official Pentax video or document saying you can wash the camera in the shower.
There are lots of amateur videos of people pushing their luck with their own gear, however.

The 18-55 wr is also described as "weather resistant" - that's weather resistant, not water proof.

A shower or tap puts out the water under pressure, unlike rain, humidity or getting splashed. You would need a waterproof camera to withstand what you did with the camera.

So, maybe someone here will learn from your mistake.
please tell me what you think of THIS

QuoteOriginally posted by mdave13 Quote
The 18-55 'kit' lens may or may not be WR. It has to have WR in the name.
it is the WR edition, i should have specified that :P
06-11-2013, 07:14 AM   #18
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hbrillon Quote
Clearly an amateur parody of Billy Mays.
06-11-2013, 04:17 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hbrillon Quote
Good example of a brief and heavy downpour, K7 or K5 with the 16-50 or 60-250 can handle that just fine.

06-11-2013, 04:33 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Clearly an amateur parody of Billy Mays.
Yep, it's a parody and not an official movie at all.
For the original poster, this is the official channel: PENTAX A RICOH COMPANY - YouTube
06-12-2013, 05:12 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
Sorry to hear, it but:

I've never seen an official Pentax video or document saying you can wash the camera in the shower.
There are lots of amateur videos of people pushing their luck with their own gear, however.
In this video you can see a Pentax official pouring water over the K-5 :

06-12-2013, 10:10 AM   #22
Pentaxian

yep and look up the specs of the lens, pouring water over a da* fitted camera would be moderatly safe.
But not the DA WR lens.

da WR (kit) = Weather-resistant to handle damp, inclement conditions.
da* = The tightly sealed, weather-resistant and dust-resistant construction enhances durability for use in both rainy and dusty conditions,

I'd be very surprised if Pentax accepted warranty on this camera .
06-12-2013, 03:20 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

If I were you I would act dumb and say - my camera has stopped working. What's wrong? You have not lied.

10-15-2013, 04:15 PM   #24

Original Poster
My K-5 is finally back from repairs that took three months to complete.

I sent it claiming water damage due to use under heavy rain. They confirmed early on that the repair would be covered under warranty. What they didn't tell me was that their aprts department in Arizona was about to move from one warehouse to another, causing extreme delays in processing. After several angry phone calls, Pentax finally agreed to extend my warranty by three months before sending me my K-5 in working condition.

In conclusion, I suspect the water may have entered by the viewfinder...

So, shitty customer service and shitty communications, but at least the damage was covered!

One more thing: is it possible they were using my camera as a scapegoat to develop improved water sealing on the new K-3?
10-15-2013, 04:41 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Thanks for getting back to us and reporting your result. It's great to know Pentax covered the repair under warranty, even if the turn around was poor.
10-15-2013, 04:53 PM   #26
Pentaxian

I'm surprised that they even "gave you" extra warranty for a water damage repair, even if it was fair. Consumer electronics companies are notorious for not covering any kind of water damage, no matter the marketing of the product.
10-16-2013, 09:13 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have to say - I think you are really lucky that this was covered by warranty! I know it sucks that it took so long to get it back, but I would be so thankful that I didn't have to pay for repairs for water damage that I would just keep quiet. But that is just me!! Congrats on getting the camera back and in working condition!!
10-16-2013, 09:22 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I've gotten my k-5 submerged and it didn't leak; here's the thing tho, when cold water hits the body, any water *vapor* inside the camera will condense due to the temperature change -- fogging the optics and possibly damaging other components. Another good reason to keep a camera stored with silica gel.
10-22-2013, 10:13 AM   #29
LSR

I am shocked Pentax covered the repair, but also shocked it took 3 months to return your property!