Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-12-2013, 01:07 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Short Beginners Guide

Finally, after 6 months with the K100D im now upgrading myself to the K-5.
I wonder if someone knows a good link for a short tutorial or guide to tke K-5?

With the K100D I was pressing the AE-L button to messure in M-mode. After testing the K-5 yesterday, the only thing that worked was putting it in AV-mode. or TAv. (I know the differences between these)
Im used to the function that I myself set the F and the ISO and let the Camera deide the shutter spead.

06-12-2013, 01:52 AM   #2
Forum Member

the magic green button should do that for you
06-12-2013, 02:04 AM   #3

Original Poster
Ah, I guess.Well I had just little time to get to know it.
but a short guide wood be nice. The manual is to big and mostly its easiest leraning by doing.
06-12-2013, 04:47 AM   #4
Forum Member

the manual is not only big, but it also find it quite superficial, lacking more detailed technical information on what is going on when you push a certain button...
Apart from learning by doing, I usually scan user reviews on blogs/websites, as they often mention operational details that don't appear in the manual!

06-12-2013, 09:45 PM - 1 Like   #5

Photos: Albums
The only gotcha that took me a while coming from a K200D-and not at all related- was that saving a user setting is done after you've set up your parameters. I kept trying to enter into a setting mode, THEN making all the adjustments. Bonehead? Yup. That's life. Otherwise be sure to drink your Ovaltine while you confirm your latest firmware and upgrade if needed. What else? You'll get about 460 shots on a 16 gig card in RAW. The cheap Meike grip has served me quite well. Wasabi batteries along with their AC/DC charger is muy bueno. I like to try to standardize my control wheels, i.e front wheel is aperture value and rear is shutter speed......generally. Heck, I shoot TAv. I'm simple like that. Set aside time to shoot. Have the manual with you and don't be shy to look things up. Glossary. The manual can't go into the detail you seek, because any variation in settings leads to a new host of compromises that would have to be fleshed out-----and down the rabbit hole you'll go.

When frustrated with any machine:
1) Show the machine the cranial parking spot for your huge frontal lobe. Machine should be suitably impressed.
2) Demonstrate to the machine your articulated opposable thumbs. Machine will retreat to a corner and cower.
3) Command machine to do your bidding. See? Easy!
06-13-2013, 01:21 AM   #6

Original Poster
Mainly I tend to try to keep the ISO as low as possible, (having the len wide or just litte stopped down)and taking down the shutter spead, but its nice with the Tav, especially in movement.

Question: With the K100D, I used the green buttom for my M42 and K series glass. Is it still recommended or does AV do the trick for you?
(The K 50 1.4 and the M 135 3.5 are the most common hookups on my camera)
06-13-2013, 01:44 AM   #7
Forum Member

The green button will still do the trick. AV only works with m42, when you meter stopped down (as you will have to with any m42 glass). For k-mount manual glass, you"ll need the green button to stop down and meter, as the camera can't read the aperture from the lens (if I remember correctly, this might also work with the optical preview, not sure, though. I don't have my K5 at hand)