Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2013, 04:38 PM   #31
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,103
QuoteOriginally posted by sb in ak Quote
Good points. I've looked into moving to small primes with the 800 but I keep thinking about the limiteds.

I think part of it too is that I'll be sending in my 24-70 for warranty work after 4 months of ownership. The 16-35 I had was defective as well, so I think I'm just sick of Nikon and wanting a brand switch to be completely honest. $1k+ equipment should hold up a little better IMO.
Have you looked at D lenses? They are comparatively cheap on the used market and some really have a good bang-for-the-buck. The 24/2.8D I'm pretty impressed with for only a couple hundred bucks. The 20/2.8D is okay. It has good center performance but does not hold up to the Zeiss 21/2.8 on the edges. It beats the Zeiss on price by a huge amount. These D lenses can have some CA but most of that is correctable. And the D800 knows these lenses and puts correction factors in the RAW for some CA. I use a mirrorless when I want to hike light. But when I do hike with a FF, I will also take along a couple of D lenses because they fit into my backpack without taking up hardly any space or adding any weight that I can notice.

06-13-2013, 04:06 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Cynog Ap Brychan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Gloucester
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,092
I have both the D800 and the K-5. Both are excellent cameras, but like you, I find that I don't much care to carry the D800 and lenses very far. Even the primes are quite bulky compared to their Pentax equivalents. I also prefer the ergonomics of the K-5, which feels just right in my hands, though that may be because I am more used to it. I tend to treat the D800 like I did my Bronica ETRSi - for when I wanted ultimate resolution, but was not straying too far from my house or car. If Pentax ever come out with a full-frame DSLR of at least 24 MP resolution, I will be selling my Nikon stuff. Anyone fancy a D800 with 14-24.....?
06-13-2013, 04:59 AM   #33
Pentaxian
Clavius's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: De Klundert
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,122
I don't care much for extra weight during hiking. It saves me time in the gym. If I could afford a 645D, I would lug that around everywhere I go.
06-13-2013, 05:02 AM   #34
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Sydney
Photos: Albums
Posts: 232
I have once owned the Nikkor 24-70G. It is huge and heavy and IQ is OK....

Now i have K5 and various primes (2 years), zoom lenses which i am extremely please with. I am not looking forward to any big DSLR again.

Just ordered the two Touit lenses....
I am hoping the new system can be a sufficient 'bridge' and a back up for my hobby till Pentax has a reasonable flagship....

06-13-2013, 08:54 AM   #35
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southern California
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,082
QuoteOriginally posted by Bestzoom Quote
I have once owned the Nikkor 24-70G. It is huge and heavy and IQ is OK....

Now i have K5 and various primes (2 years), zoom lenses which i am extremely please with. I am not looking forward to any big DSLR again.

Just ordered the two Touit lenses....
I am hoping the new system can be a sufficient 'bridge' and a back up for my hobby till Pentax has a reasonable flagship....
Touit for the Fuji or for the NEX? If it's for the NEX, and you have a PDAF body, I'd like to know if they work with PDAF. There has been some ambiguity there.
06-13-2013, 09:02 AM   #36
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,103
I can appreciate people liking a little smaller camera over a larger one even if it means you don't get as good of real time performance. And if size is a critical attribute, DSLRs are beat by mirrorless. But irregardless of technical aspects of these cameras, I'd say the OP needs to follow his heart on this one. If the K5 makes him feel good and gives him inspiration to go out a shoot, then that is the camera he should have.
06-13-2013, 09:13 AM   #37
Forum Member
LeChuck's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Tucson, AZ
Photos: Albums
Posts: 94
This is really about knowing your needs. The D800 is a very expensive camera and you really gotta need what it offers. If you don't, why lug something like that around when a K5 could offer all you need, plus a compact yet high quality body. Personally, I absolutely love my K5 IIs as I loved the K5 I owned before, as much as I hated the Olympus OM-D I owned in between, and I favor a lighter kit. It simply had terrible ergonomics and the lightness didn't make it up for that, and picture quality didn't either.

Now as mostly a landscape shooter looking for quality and living in the wide angle to ultra-wide domain, as much as I like my Pentax camera, I think that wide angle on a Pentax APS-C camera is the Pitts. For my needs that is, and I am disappointed that a full frame camera was not announced as that would have given me a clear upgrade path (hoping that lenses would come too). As it is, I haven't been able to find a suitable wide angle and ultra wide angle solution and might have to look elsewhere when I can afford it. Currently, elsewhere is the D600, and I would be sad to not have the K5's form factor and build quality, but in the end it's about needs, usage, picture quality and especially lens choice.

If you don't have this type of concern, then no hesitation. It's never that clear cut. Changing cameras bring in other issues, will I find the lenses that will be satisfying for my needs, will it still fit my tripod (the other way around, having a smaller camera will let you downsize other things as well), will I solve issues but at the same time lose out in some other ways (I am very happy with my K5 IIs and Rokinon fisheye for my virtual panoramas for example).

Not easy, but in your case, I'd probably make the switch.
06-13-2013, 09:18 AM   #38
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southern California
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,082
QuoteOriginally posted by LeChuck Quote
This is really about knowing your needs. The D800 is a very expensive camera and you really gotta need what it offers. If you don't, why lug something like that around when a K5 could offer all you need, plus a compact yet high quality body. Personally, I absolutely love my K5 IIs as I loved the K5 I owned before, as much as I hated the Olympus OM-D I owned in between, and I favor a lighter kit. It simply had terrible ergonomics and the lightness didn't make it up for that, and picture quality didn't either.

Now as mostly a landscape shooter looking for quality and living in the wide angle to ultra-wide domain, as much as I like my Pentax camera, I think that wide angle on a Pentax APS-C camera is the Pitts. For my needs that is, and I am disappointed that a full frame camera was not announced as that would have given me a clear upgrade path (hoping that lenses would come too). As it is, I haven't been able to find a suitable wide angle and ultra wide angle solution and might have to look elsewhere when I can afford it. Currently, elsewhere is the D600, and I would be sad to not have the K5's form factor and build quality, but in the end it's about needs, usage, picture quality and especially lens choice.

If you don't have this type of concern, then no hesitation. It's never that clear cut. Changing cameras bring in other issues, will I find the lenses that will be satisfying for my needs, will it still fit my tripod (the other way around, having a smaller camera will let you downsize other things as well), will I solve issues but at the same time lose out in some other ways (I am very happy with my K5 IIs and Rokinon fisheye for my virtual panoramas for example).

Not easy, but in your case, I'd probably make the switch.
What are you looking for in a wide angle? Of course there aren't as many options as on full frame, but the SIgma 8-16 is highly regarded and the Rokinon 14mm/2.8 is excellent.

06-13-2013, 09:19 AM   #39
Emperor and Senpai
VoiceOfReason's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Nashville, IN
Posts: 5,414
Have you tried the Sigma 8-16 on your K5? That's sharp and wide.
06-13-2013, 09:21 AM   #40
Forum Member
LeChuck's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Tucson, AZ
Photos: Albums
Posts: 94
Sigma 8-16 is not a very useful range for me, and Rokinon 14mm on APSC for me is borderline wide, but not wide enough. It is probably the lens I'm going to go for next, though, after trying several other alternatives (including the Pentax DA 15mm). I'm looking for as much sharpness corner to corner as I can have, as little CA as I can, and a good usable range.

I also have to say I used to own a Sigma 10-20 on my K5. It worked fine but would not be sharp enough for my wish to make larger prints. I recently tried 2 Sigma10-20s and they were both horribly decentered, and I gave up, not willing to try another Sigma zoom. I then tried a Pentax 12-24. Terrible form factor, too expensive, just not quite wide enough, and terrible CA all over the place, as well as purple fringing (my fisheye does better even in the most deformed areas), then the DA 15mm (don't get me started on that). Left is the Samyang/Rokinon 14mm, which I can probably use, especially for stitching, but for me at this point it would be a full frame that would suit my needs/wishes.

Last edited by LeChuck; 06-13-2013 at 09:26 AM.
06-13-2013, 09:22 AM   #41
Veteran Member
abieleck's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Portland, Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 799
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
If the K5 makes him feel good and gives him inspiration to go out a shoot, then that is the camera he should have.
That's the bottom line.......
06-13-2013, 10:27 AM   #42
Emperor and Senpai
VoiceOfReason's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Nashville, IN
Posts: 5,414
QuoteOriginally posted by LeChuck Quote
Sigma 8-16 is not a very useful range for me, and Rokinon 14mm on APSC for me is borderline wide, but not wide enough. It is probably the lens I'm going to go for next, though, after trying several other alternatives (including the Pentax DA 15mm). I'm looking for as much sharpness corner to corner as I can have, as little CA as I can, and a good usable range.

I also have to say I used to own a Sigma 10-20 on my K5. It worked fine but would not be sharp enough for my wish to make larger prints. I recently tried 2 Sigma10-20s and they were both horribly decentered, and I gave up, not willing to try another Sigma zoom. I then tried a Pentax 12-24. Terrible form factor, too expensive, just not quite wide enough, and terrible CA all over the place, as well as purple fringing (my fisheye does better even in the most deformed areas), then the DA 15mm (don't get me started on that). Left is the Samyang/Rokinon 14mm, which I can probably use, especially for stitching, but for me at this point it would be a full frame that would suit my needs/wishes.
There is the Tamron 10-24. Stopped down got me nice and sharp ones.
06-13-2013, 12:16 PM   #43
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,805
QuoteOriginally posted by LeChuck Quote
Sigma 8-16 is not a very useful range for me, and Rokinon 14mm on APSC for me is borderline wide, but not wide enough. It is probably the lens I'm going to go for next, though, after trying several other alternatives (including the Pentax DA 15mm). I'm looking for as much sharpness corner to corner as I can have, as little CA as I can, and a good usable range.

I also have to say I used to own a Sigma 10-20 on my K5. It worked fine but would not be sharp enough for my wish to make larger prints. I recently tried 2 Sigma10-20s and they were both horribly decentered, and I gave up, not willing to try another Sigma zoom. I then tried a Pentax 12-24. Terrible form factor, too expensive, just not quite wide enough, and terrible CA all over the place, as well as purple fringing (my fisheye does better even in the most deformed areas), then the DA 15mm (don't get me started on that). Left is the Samyang/Rokinon 14mm, which I can probably use, especially for stitching, but for me at this point it would be a full frame that would suit my needs/wishes.
Really look at the Sigma 8-16. It's sharp, it's corrected, as in no barrel distortion from 12-16, it has lower CA than many primes, and you'd be surprised how often you use 8mm when you have it. The only problem is, because of the corrected distortion, if your wife gets in the frame it will make her look shorter than she is a and thicker than she is, and if you should not get a picture of her deleted before she sees it because you were laughing too hard, you're going to suffer. Trust me, I know of what I speak.
06-13-2013, 01:01 PM   #44
Pentaxian
todd's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Basement
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,941
QuoteOriginally posted by sb in ak Quote
I use a Black Rapids RS77
I am sure you will figure this out.. In the mean time, thanks for the reference. I now have a good suggestion to give my wife for a christmas/bday gift.
06-13-2013, 02:00 PM   #45
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Sydney
Photos: Albums
Posts: 232
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Touit for the Fuji or for the NEX?
It's Touit for X mount. I have not purchased Fuji camera yet.

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
If the K5 makes him feel good and gives him inspiration to go out a shoot, then that is the camera he should have.
Agree...For a compact size DSLR with all the functions and fantastic UI, you can't beat Pentax K5......
Pentax Ltd are fantastic. I am keeping my Pentax K5 (no issue at all) and will upgrade when there is a 'reasonable' upgrade.

All the best!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, ff, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, lens, light, nikon, pentax, pentax k-5, quality
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K10d : downgrade from 1.31 to 1.10 ? clover Pentax DSLR Discussion 14 03-17-2013 10:24 PM
Finally ready to upgrade from my K20D to a K5!! Any concerns? pentaxmz Pentax K-5 27 07-02-2012 05:11 PM
What would you choose? D700 & K5 vs D800? leeak Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 52 05-21-2012 04:23 AM
Is this good time to upgrade from k7 to K5 tafzal Pentax K-5 26 03-25-2012 08:35 PM
Does anyone know if it's possible to downgrade Firmware from 1.03 to 1.01? Christine Tham Pentax K-5 73 03-15-2011 02:00 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:01 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top