Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-12-2013, 09:59 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Downgrade from D800 to K5?

Seriously considering downgrading from the D800 back to the K5 and the small limiteds. I had the K5 for awhile, and loved it, but wanted the extra boost in resolution and FF lens options--so I sold it and now I'm beginning to wonder if I made the wrong choice. I do a lot of landscape/travel photography which often involves a bit of hiking, and I'm finding the the 800, esp with a big lens begins to kill my neck and back after around 10 miles.

I also do a lot of night photography, and I'm thinking that I might really miss the D800's low light ability (high ISO quality and low light AF) if I made the switch back. But the K5 really isn't a major slouch there either.

Pentax has their quality control problems, but I'm finding that Nikon is pretty poor there as well. I've had an issue with almost every Nikkor lens I've purchased, and really have a hard time investing more into a Nikon system because of that.

I also find that I'm really never happy with the color I get from my Nikon shots. Maybe user error. Maybe not.

I could also try something like the Canon 6D, which is a smaller FF form factor, but I think I'd miss the shadow lifting ability that my Nikon and Pentax had/has.

I am tempted to just go with the K5 again, and grab the DA 15, FA 31 and FA 77 for starters. Two of those lenses could be used with a Pentax FF if they ever come out with one.

06-12-2013, 10:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Most people I know(including myself) don't sling DSLR's around their necks while hiking.
06-12-2013, 10:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Why not pick up a K-01 or the new Ricoh GR? Or a Sony NEX and use your Nikon lenses or some m42s. Then you can have a cheapish travel kit, with similar quality.
06-12-2013, 10:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Why not a lighter smaller camera for hiking and keep the D800 for the things its good for?

06-12-2013, 10:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, i was being a little simplistic with my description. I use a Black Rapids RS77, so it's not really around my neck per se.

I can't afford two camera systems.
06-12-2013, 10:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think Homo_erectus meant a smaller Nikon, so you can use the same lenses. A D7000/D7100 isn't too far off in weight vs a k-5.
06-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #7
Veteran Member

JinDesu, that is exactly what I was thinking. You can take fine photographs with those cameras and they are a lot lighter than the D800.

06-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Homo_erectus Quote
JinDesu, that is exactly what I was thinking. You can take fine photographs with those cameras and they are a lot lighter than the D800.
The D3200 and 5200 are pretty tiny also. I've seen the D3200 in the low 400s.
06-12-2013, 10:27 AM   #9
Banned

Well K-5 II is better in AF when it comes to low light. So K-5 II with those three lenses would give you some serious IQ.

You could also wait out for some weeks to see what's new is coming.
06-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I think Homo_erectus meant a smaller Nikon, so you can use the same lenses. A D7000/D7100 isn't too far off in weight vs a k-5.
My foray into Nikon has left me pretty unimpressed with the platform as their quality control, etc. sucks. I just don't really want to give them any more of my money. I had issues with the 16-35 and 24-70, which is just ridiculous. I'd rather move back to Pentax or Canon. I just don't find Nikons that comfortable to hold either. I like the grip on the K5 and 5D series. The K5 IIs looks like a sweet camera.

I actually sold my K5 to my mom, who then leant it to me as a backup camera while I'm working down here in CA for a bit. So I might just get the limiteds and use the K5 until the K3 or whatever comes down the pipe. She's super busy with work and doesn't have any time for photography in the next 6 mos.
06-12-2013, 10:30 AM   #11
Site Supporter

I would possibly go K5IIs for the resolution since moire would be fixable in PP and from the low light AF improvements.
06-12-2013, 10:32 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sb in ak Quote
My foray into Nikon has left me pretty unimpressed with the platform as their quality control, etc. sucks. I just don't really want to give them any more of my money. I'd rather move back to Pentax or Canon. I just don't find Nikons that comfortable to hold either. I like the grip on the K5 and 5D series. The K5 IIs looks like a sweet camera.

I actually sold my K5 to my mom, who then leant it to me as a backup camera while I'm working down here in CA for a bit. So I might just get the limiteds and use the K5 until the K3 or whatever comes down the pipe.
If Pentax is what you want, don't let us stop you. We'll welcome you back. The K-5 and the K-5II and IIs are all pretty cheap right now. You might need to find your lenses used, however. There has been a price hike on limiteds.
06-12-2013, 10:33 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sb in ak Quote
My foray into Nikon has left me pretty unimpressed with the platform as their quality control, etc. sucks. I just don't really want to give them any more of my money. I'd rather move back to Pentax or Canon. I just don't find Nikons that comfortable to hold either. I like the grip on the K5 and 5D series. The K5 IIs looks like a sweet camera.

I actually sold my K5 to my mom, who then leant it to me as a backup camera while I'm working down here in CA for a bit. So I might just get the limiteds and use the K5 until the K3 or whatever comes down the pipe. She's super busy with work and doesn't have any time for photography in the next 6 mos.
Understood - I think the k-5IIs would be the best bang for your buck at this time. I have a feeling that Pentax is going to announce something better soon, but the k-5II/IIs would still be the best value at this time.

Quite a few people have commented how the k-5II/IIs' AF is much more decisive and accurate than the k-5, and performs down to obscenely dark levels.
06-12-2013, 10:33 AM   #14
Pentaxian

You're shooting with those big zooms, right? Put on some primes. If you are saying a D800 with primes still is the straw that breaks the camel's back, then I fear the K-5 will not save you either.

I haul around my medium format film cameras on long hikes. Don't complain.
06-12-2013, 10:36 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I really like the size of the K5 and lenses. From what I can tell, the big difference between the K5 and D800 is going to be in lens selection -- I just don't see anything in Nikon's lineup that matches up well against the FA limiteds or the DA 15. I have a black rapid for my K5 and it is pretty comfortable for extensive hiking. But you already know this -- you have used both systems and know their strengths and weaknesses as well as anybody.