Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2013, 11:33 AM   #16
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by BirdDude007 Quote
I too have the 18~135 lens on my K-5 as well, I even have the grip and although it adds a bit of weight to my setup it has many advantages, extra battery/SD card, better grip for my large hands, and even the added versatility of being able to take portrait shots easier.
This lens is on my Camera 95% of the time, I use it for everything, the other 5 percent of the time I like to play with my 50mm 1:1.4 SMC M lens. I take this camera around water a lot and even when we are out wheeling in our Jeep, it is tough and durable setup and I never gotta worry about whether or not it will hold up or even leak.
Here is a pic of a hawk I got two weeks ago with that same lens-




Here is another one I took real quick out the side of a Jeep Wrangler, luckily I had the camera ready on the draw, this is at awy more than a 100% crop too!-


Very nice shot at the lake. Good to see you posting.

07-03-2013, 04:16 AM   #17
Pentaxian
Clarkey's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Brampton, ON, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,767
+1 on the 18-135mm for intended purpose. Had mine out in a fair bit:






Take a polariser!
I personally find it to be a bit slow for low light work on the K-7. I would also pick up a prime for low light work/when you need to be compact. Maybe the DA 35, or a 50mm.
07-03-2013, 02:45 PM   #18
Veteran Member
BirdDude007's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Las Vegas NV
Photos: Albums
Posts: 505
Thanks for the kind words folks
07-03-2013, 07:44 PM   #19
Pentaxian
Wingincamera's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Spanaway, WA. USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 571
Another 18-135mm shooter. It's my only WR lens. On a recent trip I had the 18-135 mounted but also took with me the DA 35mm limited Macro and DA 70mm limited. Because of wind and other weather conditions the 18-135 was used 90% of the time. I wanted at least one lens for possible low light use or any macro shots. The limited are small, don't take up much space to carry.

07-03-2013, 08:02 PM   #20
Pentaxian
Wingincamera's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Spanaway, WA. USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 571
You might be interested in the 18-135 lens forum:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/179869-da-18-1...at-can-do.html
07-04-2013, 05:08 PM   #21
Senior Member
GoldenRGuy's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 154
I bought this lens last winter and it's almost always on my K5. Just love it. I'm out int the woods, by the lake, in the rain and snow and still get great shots. I too pair it with the 55-300 telephoto. For travel and hiking its a great combo!
07-04-2013, 07:10 PM   #22
Site Supporter
jimr-pdx's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: 1hr north of PDX
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,553
If you perceive you'll be using the long end a lot, I'd seek a 50-200WR too; it's small WR and can be found for under $175. I owned two copies of the 18-135 and found them both excellent in places but both needed help above 100mm or so. The 50-200 is fairly small so it wouldn't be much of a burden, and with that overlap the 18-135 would be your 90% lens. You could do this with a 55-300 but bulkier and no WR, not a bad choice certainly but riskier in moist weather.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, da, dslr, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, lens, lenses, pentax, pentax da, pentax k-5, shots
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Review of the SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] DC WR pinholecam Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 17 10-26-2011 01:08 AM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax DA 18-135 f3.5-5.6 ED AL (IF) DC WR (US) Fl_Gulfer Sold Items 0 05-08-2011 11:37 AM
The NEW Pentax SMC DA 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 ED AL (IF) DC WR Lens Chuck-B&H Ask B&H Photo! 2 11-24-2010 07:16 AM
SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] DC WR sqjaw Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 15 09-21-2010 01:29 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:17 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top