Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2013, 10:01 AM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 8
K5 plus Pentax DA 18-135 ED AL IF DC WR

I am going to Peru in a couple of months and want to get a DSLR. So far I have decided on the K-5 body but am now looking at lenses. I would prefer a lens that is multi-purpose. By that I mean something that can be used for shots within a foot to something like a 100 yards and most of the time I will be stable but the images may be moving or stable but sometimes I will be moving (in a canoe on a river for example) and the image may be moving or stable, some shots may be in early dawn or at dusk but most will be in full daylight. I was thinking about having two lenses like the DA 18-55 and then a telephoto/zoom like a 55-300 but from what I have read it appears a Pentax DA 18-135 ED AL IF DC WR may be able to satisfy my needs overall in just one lens and that would be very convenient. I am just looking for hobby capability and mostly for vacation type outdoor photos of things in nature, structures, people, etc. So is the Pentax DA 18-135 a good choice as a one lens solution for my photo needs?

06-17-2013, 10:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
It is more versatile than either of the others alone. It also has the advantage of being Weather Resistant, neither of the standard lenses you mention are. Plus it covers the 18-135 range which means you will not have to swap lenses at the 55mm mark like you do with the 18-55 + 55-300 combination. I really like my 55-300, its a great kit long zoom IMHO. The downside of the 18-135 is its not as fast as some more expensive alternatives. If it were me and I were canoeing in Peru I would only take a WR lens and if I were to take just one, the 18-135 would be it.
06-17-2013, 10:07 AM   #3
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,749
Yes. Excellent lens, good image quality, not too heavy and WR. Very fast, almost silent focusing. My wife carries a two lens kit of the 18-135 and the 55-300. Covers everything from 18 to 300mm. But the 18-135 is on the camera 90% of the time.
06-17-2013, 11:54 AM   #4
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Perrineville, NJ
Posts: 1,365
+1, yes, a good all around choice. Lots of good, nothing very bad about this lens. Quite versatile

06-17-2013, 12:21 PM   #5
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 231
I have the K-30 with the 18-135 and consider it a great value for a WR combo.
It is my understanding that the new K-50 can be ordered with the 18-55 and 55-200 kit lens which our both WR (this is new). Maybe you can also get the K-5 with these kit WR's
06-17-2013, 12:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by mdodrill Quote
I have the K-30 with the 18-135 and consider it a great value for a WR combo.
It is my understanding that the new K-50 can be ordered with the 18-55 and 55-200 kit lens which our both WR (this is new). Maybe you can also get the K-5 with these kit WR's
Haven't seen that combo but it's possible of course. The problem with the 18-55+50-200 combo is that you have to swap out at 50-55mm thereby defeating the WR part of the whole combination with the K-5/30/50 models. Having the extra reach of the 200 would be nice but I'd prefer, and did decide personally, to go with the 18-135 because of the WR integrity it offers throughout that range.
06-17-2013, 01:33 PM   #7
Forum Member
callmeraymon's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 61
I'm headed to Costa Rica next month and just ordered the 18-135WR. This thread makes me feel a little bit better about it. The confidence of this forum really does influence my choices.
06-17-2013, 04:07 PM   #8
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Perrineville, NJ
Posts: 1,365
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Haven't seen that combo but it's possible of course. The problem with the 18-55+50-200 combo is that you have to swap out at 50-55mm thereby defeating the WR part of the whole combination with the K-5/30/50 models. Having the extra reach of the 200 would be nice but I'd prefer, and did decide personally, to go with the 18-135 because of the WR integrity it offers throughout that range.
Yeah, I hate the cutoff at 50-55. The 18-135 covers so much of my needs, rarely do I need to go longer, so in challenging environments I don't need to worry about dust and what not. Although I do suppose the choice of focal length is a matter of personal taste.

06-17-2013, 04:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member
crewl1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,797
QuoteOriginally posted by callmeraymon Quote
I'm headed to Costa Rica next month and just ordered the 18-135WR. This thread makes me feel a little bit better about it. The confidence of this forum really does influence my choices.
I went to Costa Rica last year with K-5 and 18-135 and second body K-5 DA*300 so I wouldn't have to switch lenses.
Worked great in the rainforests, I did not worry about them getting wet.
Enjoy your trip, it is a beautiful place with lots of exotic birds and wildlife.
06-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #10
Site Supporter
JimJohnson's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lake Superior - Michigan
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,266
When I owned by K-r I had the 18-55, 50-200 (which sat on the shelf most of the time, because) ... I also had the 55-300. Especially at family events where zooming with your feet wasn't practical, it seemed every other shot called for a lens on the other side of that 55mm boundary. I ended up buying a F 35-70 and loving it.

I sold my K-r, 18-55 and 50-200 to offset the cost of a K-30 with 18-135. It is a toss-up at any given time whether the 18-135 or the 35-70 is already mounted when I pick up my camera. The reason is the F35-70 also supports a close-focus 'macro' mode.Otherwise, my most used lens hands-down would be the 18-135.
06-28-2013, 12:01 PM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2008
Location: London, UK
Posts: 414
K-5 +18-135 + kenko 1.5 SQ = same + extra reach!:-)
06-28-2013, 03:43 PM   #12
Veteran Member
crewl1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,797
QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
K-5 +18-135 + kenko 1.5 SQ = same + extra reach!:-)
Just don't forget no longer WR with the Kenko.
06-29-2013, 12:05 AM   #13
Veteran Member
abmj's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Central California
Posts: 600
Although I have a pretty complete suite of lenses, when I want to travel light, the K-5 plus the 18-135 and a few accessories makes up my full kit. When hauling it around some foreign country on my back for 2 or 3 weeks, my back thanks me. An added plus is that I never check baggage and the small kit takes up much less of my limited carry-on space.
06-29-2013, 03:48 PM   #14
Veteran Member
BirdDude007's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Las Vegas NV
Photos: Albums
Posts: 504
I too have the 18~135 lens on my K-5 as well, I even have the grip and although it adds a bit of weight to my setup it has many advantages, extra battery/SD card, better grip for my large hands, and even the added versatility of being able to take portrait shots easier.
This lens is on my Camera 95% of the time, I use it for everything, the other 5 percent of the time I like to play with my 50mm 1:1.4 SMC M lens. I take this camera around water a lot and even when we are out wheeling in our Jeep, it is tough and durable setup and I never gotta worry about whether or not it will hold up or even leak.
Here is a pic of a hawk I got two weeks ago with that same lens-




Here is another one I took real quick out the side of a Jeep Wrangler, luckily I had the camera ready on the draw, this is at awy more than a 100% crop too!-



Last edited by BirdDude007; 06-29-2013 at 03:56 PM.
06-29-2013, 07:05 PM   #15
Veteran Member
crewl1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,797
QuoteOriginally posted by BirdDude007 Quote
I too have the 18~135 lens on my K-5 as well, I even have the grip and although it adds a bit of weight to my setup it has many advantages, extra battery/SD card, better grip for my large hands, and even the added versatility of being able to take portrait shots easier.
This lens is on my Camera 95% of the time, I use it for everything, the other 5 percent of the time I like to play with my 50mm 1:1.4 SMC M lens. I take this camera around water a lot and even when we are out wheeling in our Jeep, it is tough and durable setup and I never gotta worry about whether or not it will hold up or even leak.
Here is a pic of a hawk I got two weeks ago with that same lens-

Here is another one I took real quick out the side of a Jeep Wrangler, luckily I had the camera ready on the draw, this is at awy more than a 100% crop too!-

Flickr
Nice shots!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, da, dslr, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, lens, lenses, pentax, pentax da, pentax k-5, shots
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Review of the SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] DC WR pinholecam Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 17 10-26-2011 01:08 AM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax DA 18-135 f3.5-5.6 ED AL (IF) DC WR (US) Fl_Gulfer Sold Items 0 05-08-2011 11:37 AM
The NEW Pentax SMC DA 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 ED AL (IF) DC WR Lens Chuck-B&H Ask B&H Photo! 2 11-24-2010 07:16 AM
SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] DC WR sqjaw Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 15 09-21-2010 01:29 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:07 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top