Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
06-21-2013, 05:44 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great story - and convincing too as I know I'd go mad with two sets of gear. Even K-5 + K-01 + Q is crazy enough, but parallel sets of lenses too? Glad you survived it, and it's far more clear that I could not do what you did. I'm glad my wife wanted twin Qs even though we had twin Lumix m4/3 gear at the time; it feels really good to know these lenses fit whatever body I pick up, or drag from the closet (that would be the ME or Ricoh XR-10).

06-21-2013, 06:00 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I guess water drops aint such an issue. Humidity, fine sand or dust, eventual "splash" are the real enemmies
06-21-2013, 06:02 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Great story - and convincing too as I know I'd go mad with two sets of gear. Even K-5 + K-01 + Q is crazy enough, but parallel sets of lenses too? Glad you survived it, and it's far more clear that I could not do what you did. I'm glad my wife wanted twin Qs even though we had twin Lumix m4/3 gear at the time; it feels really good to know these lenses fit whatever body I pick up, or drag from the closet (that would be the ME or Ricoh XR-10).
The two different sets of gear wasn't the maddening part looking back. The gear element was 100% in my control. If I setup the SD/CF cards properly (I found out now that it was on RAW+RAW backup, not RAW+JPG) for a faster buffer, or the CLS system knowledge, remembering which pocket my flash triggers were in... those were all in my control.

the most maddening element of this whole thing was the pace, coupled with everyone wanting to get their shots with their cell phones, while me, the hired photographer, is trying to take control of the situation. This is the first wedding I've done where it felt like a 200m sprint to the end. That was exhausting.

Lets look at it this way:

The last few weddings I've done were 14 hour marathons on average. I would go through 3 sets of batteries for my flashes, and about 3 batteries for my K5's. (one would get changed out on my primary body). I would usually get around 1400 shots to go through by the end of the day, and maybe a roll or two of film, and usually get the flower girl (depending on age) to run around with the Q. Then I can usually cut that down to about 700 images that are keepers. I further weed that down to 150-200 shots (depending on the size of the wedding) to give to my clients as previews for prints. Then whatever they want edited and printed gets done, then I collect the rest of my payment and sleep for a week.

Yesterday was 130 minutes from the time I pulled my car into the parking lot of the venue till the time I pulled out. I shot just under 400 frames between all three cameras. I've gotten that down to 100 images for preview.

P.S. Those are two things that have won my clients over on weddings... Film & Q in the hands of a child. I show them the creative filters and just let them go free. I get some fantastic shots at the end of the day from the Q, mostly because of the unique perspective a child has on the world. Then the film is just a conversation piece and usually ends up being one of the best shots of the day.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what gear you use, or how dazed and confused you are at the end of it. What matters is the ear to ear smiles on your clients faces when they get to see their images.
06-21-2013, 06:53 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
T
Film & Q in the hands of a child. I show them the creative filters and just let them go free. I get some fantastic shots at the end of the day

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what gear you use, or how dazed and confused you are at the end of it. What matters is the ear to ear smiles on your clients faces when they get to see their images.
Blasphemy, if I can't buy better pictures with gear, then all the arguments on gear forums such as this are in vain.

I hear you on the children taking photos. Nester, here on PF, handed a camera to his kids a while back and posted some results. They were so fresh and radiated the feeling of fun. It really struck a cord about how much of the person taking the picture ends up in the final image.

06-21-2013, 06:53 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Q in the hands of a child
What a great idea!!!!
06-21-2013, 06:55 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I assisted a pro a few times, man he worked hard on those long gigs. I cannot imagine the clockwork pace of 130 minutes! Indeed the results are not always measured technically, but by what strikes the clients; I know a few of our wedding shots are offbeat and that makes them more memorable.
06-21-2013, 07:27 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
I assisted a pro a few times, man he worked hard on those long gigs. I cannot imagine the clockwork pace of 130 minutes! Indeed the results are not always measured technically, but by what strikes the clients; I know a few of our wedding shots are offbeat and that makes them more memorable.
You got it. It's so exhausting and demanding on your mind and body. Usually when I'm packing up I start thinking "I hate shooting weddings" but when I get the reactions from the clients I remember why I do this.

I've only been doing this for a very short time "professionally" but I love it. Not because I'm creating art, but because I'm triggering emotions.

06-21-2013, 08:50 PM   #23
Inactive Account

Cool post- One thing I found out on my first official role of second shooter at a wedding. For the ceremony, bring a stool. Everyone is lost in the moment and the last thing they care about is the photographer.
Get high above everyone else, also a stool is good place to put something close to hand off the ground and adds a subconscious barrier to yourself to keep people away.
07-14-2013, 02:15 AM   #24

Really enjoyed this post. Great writing, kept me enthralled the entire length of the story. I am an amateur who is just starting to look for the first angle at stepping into the world of being paid to do what I love. You didn't sell me on buying a nikon but you did sell me on the DA*50-135. I Have a K5iis as well as an LX. Out of curiosity have you ever put the 50-135 on the lx and taken pictures to test if they happen to play well together? That is how I stumbled on this post, searching for something like "50-135 film". Also how do you feel about the weather resistance of our LX cameras? I ask because I live in the mountains of Colorado and am positioning myself to be a vacation adventure photographer/ back country guide, shooting in all weather conditions. Regardless if you find the time to answer my question thanks for the post.
07-14-2013, 08:02 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Johnyb3000 Quote
Really enjoyed this post. Great writing, kept me enthralled the entire length of the story. I am an amateur who is just starting to look for the first angle at stepping into the world of being paid to do what I love. You didn't sell me on buying a nikon but you did sell me on the DA*50-135. I Have a K5iis as well as an LX. Out of curiosity have you ever put the 50-135 on the lx and taken pictures to test if they happen to play well together? That is how I stumbled on this post, searching for something like "50-135 film". Also how do you feel about the weather resistance of our LX cameras? I ask because I live in the mountains of Colorado and am positioning myself to be a vacation adventure photographer/ back country guide, shooting in all weather conditions. Regardless if you find the time to answer my question thanks for the post.
The 50-135 is magic. It's really a fantastic lens and I'm sad I didn't add it to my collection earlier. it is easily one of the most versatile lenses for portraiture and probably the most important lens in my Pentax kit for professional use. I hope you find one and love it as much as I do.

As for your questions.. while I trust all of my Digital kit, and all my lenses in all but the most incredible down pours.. I would not put an LX in that situation. But I would use it in light rain or the cold. In assuming Colorado can have similar weather to Edmonton and Calgary, and I can tell you some of the coldest weather we had this winter I was out shooting with my K5 and LX with FA Limited lenses. Got some good results.

As for the 50+135 on the LX, it's funny you mention that. I got a roll of Fiji high asa film I'm running right now where I have experimented with it. Using my MZ6 though. In assuming the results will be tip notch minus some need to crop. Much like if one were to use our fantastic DA10-17 on film. I do know that the DA*55 is bloody brilliant on film though.

The only thing about the lx and DA series lenses would be aperture control. Which is why I use my MZ6 to shoot with those lenses.

07-15-2013, 06:15 AM   #26
Banned

It comes down to the right tool for the right job. But I think next shoot will see a bag packed like so:

D800
80-200 f2.8
85mm f1.8 G
20mm f2.8 D
K5
FA 31
FA 43
FA 77
DA*50-135
LX
You still bring to much.

Okay, the LX with the 77mm is a choice to make. You don't need everything in double. With the D800/80-200 you can cover almost everything. The K-5/50-135 is your rainyday set. From the other lenses you only need to bring a few. The 20mm can do all your wide-angle on the D800 and crop if you like. The FA43mm/77mm can do all your portraits. So leave some at home.

Personally I would take the D800/85mm/20mm combo and K-5/50-135mm/31mm and leave the rest at home.
07-15-2013, 06:35 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Nice story Wired on your trials with a new camera and it sounds like it was horrendous weather to shoot but it'll be even be greater if you show us some of the photos later
07-15-2013, 12:52 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Theres a few images from the rainy day! Sorry, totally didn't see that I posted them. Probably because they are D800 and this is Pentax forum....
07-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
You still bring to much.

Okay, the LX with the 77mm is a choice to make. You don't need everything in double. With the D800/80-200 you can cover almost everything. The K-5/50-135 is your rainyday set. From the other lenses you only need to bring a few. The 20mm can do all your wide-angle on the D800 and crop if you like. The FA43mm/77mm can do all your portraits. So leave some at home.

Personally I would take the D800/85mm/20mm combo and K-5/50-135mm/31mm and leave the rest at home.
I don't like the 31 I actually don't.

I think the D800, 80-200, 20mm, K5, 50-135, and 77 and LX would be the minimum to haul around for me.

Unless I do something stupid and take the K5, DA 16-50, 50-135, and 645, 75 f2.8
07-15-2013, 05:54 PM   #30

Great story.

Where are the shots of ipad lady?

Note to self. Keep batteries charged for K5.

thumbsup