Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2013, 10:30 PM   #1
Site Supporter
tabl10s's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sacramento(formerly from B'Ham, England).
Posts: 1,400
Calibrating The K-5's WB with...

an 18% Gray Card. How do you do it?

06-21-2013, 10:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 307
select WB and scroll down to the icon that looks like two wedges under a box. Arrow right twice, the screen should display Manual WB - Shutter Adjust.... take a photo now of your Grey Card... the screen will then display your image with a green selection box to more accurately choose the grey area... press ok until you are back to your setting screen and your set to go.

Images are of my K-7 but its the same process even on my K-5ii
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 

Last edited by bdparker; 06-21-2013 at 11:04 PM.
06-22-2013, 08:00 AM   #3
Site Supporter
tabl10s's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sacramento(formerly from B'Ham, England).
Posts: 1,400
Original Poster
Thanks. Will I always be in that mode our do I have to choose it? When would AWB or other custom settings be sufficient?
06-22-2013, 03:50 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Driline's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: IOWA Where the Tall Corn Grows
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,973
Do you have to use an 18% gray card? How about just a white sheet of paper.

06-22-2013, 06:43 PM   #5
Site Supporter
JimJohnson's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lake Superior - Michigan
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,265
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
Do you have to use an 18% gray card? How about just a white sheet of paper.
So long as you are using it solely for white balance, it might work depending on how white is your white sheet of paper. 18% gray cards are calibrated, a randomly selected sheet of white paper, not. If you visit your local office shop, you will note that paper is sold not only by weight, but degree of whiteness, called brightness. Further, I have no idea how the paper industry's values equate to what your camera calls "white". Finally, most office paper yellows rather quickly due to acid content. Still, it would be better than nothing.

An 18% gray card can also be used to set exposure. A white sheet of paper is so variable, I'd hate to use it for anything critical.
06-22-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
Pentaxian
Driline's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: IOWA Where the Tall Corn Grows
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,973
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
An 18% gray card can also be used to set exposure. A white sheet of paper is so variable, I'd hate to use it for anything critical
I ask because in television we always used a professional "white card" in the studio to set up white balance. Of course out in the field our "video" photographers would use anything white. Usually just a piece of paper lying around.
06-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 307
QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
Thanks. Will I always be in that mode our do I have to choose it? When would AWB or other custom settings be sufficient?
The setting for WB is set until you change it.
Don't forget that WB is situational, meaning: the WB you set for that shot under that lighting (in broad terms) may not be correct for the next location. even if you change rooms in your house, the reflective ambient lighting from furniture/walls and the amount of natural light (coming at the particular time of the day) changes.

I general I shoot in AWB because I shoot RAW and can correct it in Lightroom and DXO, the consistence of the lighting changes (inside/outside) throughout a single shoot.
If I am shooting in the same lighting for the whole day or shoot, then I will us one of the pre-sets or grey card it.
06-22-2013, 07:27 PM   #8
Site Supporter
JimJohnson's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lake Superior - Michigan
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,265
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
I ask because in television we always used a professional "white card" in the studio to set up white balance. Of course out in the field our "video" photographers would use anything white. Usually just a piece of paper lying around.
And did the audience notice a difference in color balance and exposure when bouncing between the anchors and the filed reports? Probably, but the audience is a lot more forgiving of a live one-time newscast than they are of variations in a pre-recorded event. The same goes for something like a wedding album. That white dress needs to be equally white in every shot.

06-22-2013, 10:23 PM   #9
Site Supporter
tabl10s's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sacramento(formerly from B'Ham, England).
Posts: 1,400
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdparker Quote
select WB and scroll down to the icon that looks like two wedges under a box. Arrow right twice, the screen should display Manual WB - Shutter Adjust.... take a photo now of your Grey Card... the screen will then display your image with a green selection box to more accurately choose the grey area... press ok until you are back to your setting screen and your set to go.

Images are of my K-7 but its the same process even on my K-5ii
I think I'm going to get one of those exposure discs instead. It'll be $100, but I won't have to deal with the damn card which didn't seem to work.
06-22-2013, 11:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 307
QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
I think I'm going to get one of those exposure discs instead. It'll be $100, but I won't have to deal with the damn card which didn't seem to work.
???? Exposure and WB are not the same thing. Getting your exposure correct will not fix the WB and visa-versa.

what exactly is not working.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, pentax k-5
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Macro Macro with Pentax K-5 II s hishammarmin Post Your Photos! 24 11-25-2012 11:03 PM
Calibrating everything for lenses on the K-x? TMoneytron Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 13 08-06-2012 10:25 AM
K-5 WB with Takumar 50mm/1.4 syoon1970 Pentax K-5 2 11-20-2010 07:58 PM
K-x tungsten WB is not a fixed WB kxr4trids Pentax DSLR Discussion 3 05-18-2010 12:43 AM
K-7's auto-WB vs. Lightroom's auto-WB inferno10 Post Your Photos! 13 07-16-2009 08:54 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:07 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top