Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Image Stabilization with manual lenses and adapter

I have not had any success in activating image stabilization on my K5 when using my 645 lenses with a non-Pentax 645 to K adapter that provides no communications link between the lens and the body. I'm guessing the K5 requires communication in order for the IS to operate. If anyone can confirm, thanks in advance.

06-24-2013, 09:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can get stabilization with adapted lenses.
Did you turn on the option to allow lenses with aperture in the menu? Custom menu/ P4/ #27 on my firmware version.
You should get a prompt for focal length when you turn on the camera with unrecognized lenses once you do that.
06-24-2013, 01:10 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Same experience here: I can activate or deactivate SR with all MF lenses: K-mount, Takumar, Adaptall P/K as well as P/KA, T-mount lenses, and even with no lens att all mounted.

Just to re-iterate what crew1 has alredy stated above: If you haven't set 'Aperture Ring Permitted' your camera will not ask you to input the focal length when you power up with an adapted/unknown lens mounted and SR cannot be activated.

Furthermore you should also check that 'Shake Reduction' has not been deactivated by accident in the Shooting Menu, page 4 of the K-5.
06-24-2013, 01:16 PM   #4
Pentaxian

You need to input the focal length, then you can turn on SR.
But SR is automatically disabled in some cases, like if you have 2 sec timer turned on. So make sure all your other settings allow SR. Then you can press info or whatever and find it.

06-25-2013, 07:33 AM   #5
CDW
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all, the aperture and 2 sec timer issues did the trick.