Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-26-2013, 06:52 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by asp1880 Quote
Did the K5-II AF improvement for low light events come through for you? I've been considering the -II for the same reason.

Apologies for hijacking the thread.

Regards,
--Anders.
My answer would be a resounding yes. Even in not extreme low light, focusing is quicker and surer. Definitely glad I upgraded.

06-26-2013, 06:55 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by asp1880 Quote
Did the K5-II AF improvement for low light events come through for you? I've been considering the -II for the same reason.
It has for me. More decisive and much more accurate.
06-26-2013, 11:51 AM   #18

Still have my K-5 but have followed IIs prices since launch. While I sometimes buy new if it is compelling enough, I prefer to ride the tail end of the leading edge. Usual when the fire sale starts. Sadly, Pentax has been very slow to produce another body that will send the K-5 brethren down the price slope. It only creeps down but as long as it is the flag ship body, it just can't drop in price or it would indicate Pentax has thrown in the towel. So I sit on the sidelines and wait. If the new body is a block buster then I will buy it on release. If just another iteration, then the IIs will still be my next purchase.
06-26-2013, 01:51 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by djc737 Quote
Still have my K-5 but have followed IIs prices since launch. While I sometimes buy new if it is compelling enough, I prefer to ride the tail end of the leading edge. Usual when the fire sale starts. Sadly, Pentax has been very slow to produce another body that will send the K-5 brethren down the price slope. It only creeps down but as long as it is the flag ship body, it just can't drop in price or it would indicate Pentax has thrown in the towel. So I sit on the sidelines and wait. If the new body is a block buster then I will buy it on release. If just another iteration, then the IIs will still be my next purchase.
That's usually the way I play it too, but bonus money plus a karaoke focusing issue led me to be a early adopter. Hope I'm not setting a precedent!!!

06-26-2013, 05:49 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If itīs just for pleasure Iīd wait... Something should come out this year.. Arround October/September. If you have an upcoming trip for example, then switch and enjoy*.. And remember, bodys get old, lenses donīt.

*If you want to have the newest you could buy a used body and get some good glass so you are ready for when the new model comes out.
06-26-2013, 08:15 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Evening,

I have a suggestion that is slightly different. I have a K5 and the senor/body combination is wonderful. In fact the entire sensor family is a real winner in my estimation - the K5, K5II/IIs, K-01. K30, K50 and the K500. Pentax is coming out with a new ASP-C and rumor has it a full frame too. Cost and capabilities are debatable, while the schedule has been rumored to be October through mid next year - who know, as I certainly don't. So, what to do?

I would go for the deal that was posted today - the K30 and DA 18-55WR for $499. If it is indeed the WR lens - it goes for $200 (~$120 on ebay used), leaving the body at essentially $300 - virtually no downside. You are probably going to keep the kit lens since its sealed (nice to have for the outdoor rain storm). Shoot with the K30, until what every you are interested in is announced. Take a look at it and compare it to the IIs, wait a bit for the first set of evaluations and make a decision. You should always be able to get at least $200 for the K30 body at a minimum, so the maximum you have at risk is about $100 +/-, for probably 6+ months of use. Granted this all depends on what level of interest you have in the lens.

You might consider holding off on the new body until the price premium fades (~6 months after initial delivery). Whatever you decide to do, the K5IIs will be down in price, and you can make both an informed and intelligent decision.

Also, as you see lenses that you really want become available, you can pick them up and use them while you are waiting and watching.

Just a thought.....

Last edited by interested_observer; 06-26-2013 at 08:24 PM.