Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2013, 11:00 AM   #1

Pentax K5 locks up - return to Pentax or can it be fixed?

Dear forum, my question first:

Should I return my Pentax K5 for a refund or a new camera?

Problem: My Pentax K5, bought brand new in February 2013, occasionally shows the lock-up problem discussed in many forums.
Either the mirror hangs and I cannot continue shooting or the LCD goes on, even if I turn off the camera, and I cannot shoot. Only taking out the battery solves this issue.

Last time the camera continued shooting even when I released the button. I turned it off, took out the battery and put it back in, but the camera continued to behave strangely.

It had the original Pentax battery installed and the latest firmware.

I brought it to the repair service (Foto März in Berlin) but after a week I only got it back with seemingly nothing fixed. I had hopes they would change the mainboard or whatever causes the problem. But since they could not reproduce the flaw, they just put the firmware on it (superfluous since the latest was running), "preemptively checked electronic parts" and set it back.

Now: Can this flaw be fixed at all or should I a) send it to the seller and get my money back, or b) send it to Pentax in order to get a new body?

I do like the K5 but I'm disappointed that I had to send it in twice since I bought it _brand new_. The first time for front focus, the second time for lock-ups.

Same thing with my K10D some years ago. I had to have it repaired for an askew viewfinder.

I might have had it with Pentax, really!

Are there any other users with the lock-up problem and how has it been fixed?

Thank you and best regards from Berlin

07-08-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
Emperor and Senpai

I would send it back to Pentax for repair.
07-08-2013, 12:08 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Responses in the following 2 threads seem to indicate that the lock-up problem is reparable:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/212510-scary-issue-k-5-a.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/208642-k-5-occasionally-stuck-shutter.html
Are the problems described there the same thing you have?

I had a mild mirror lock-up problem in cold weather last December, though the problem now disappeared completely (maybe because I moved to a year-round hot climate). I also have the notorious FF in specific lighting conditions issue (it is not too bad and possible to work around it). If the turn around times are not too bad I will send my K-5 for evaluation/repair next time I am in North America.
07-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Have you tried the 'don't use a freshly charged battery, let it rest overnight before using it' approach discussed in some of the other threads that relate to this issue?

Or maybe buy a second battery (Pentax or 3rd party) and toggle between the two, using the 'freshest' battery last.

Either way, it would be useful to you to try and identify if the problem is battery related, or something else. The K-5 is an electro-mechanical device, so it makes sense to examine the battery first. At least get a 2nd battery to eliminate the possibility that your current battery is simply bad or damaged.

07-15-2013, 12:43 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jedentagberlin Quote
Dear forum, my question first:

Should I return my Pentax K5 for a refund or a new camera?

Problem: My Pentax K5, bought brand new in February 2013, occasionally shows the lock-up problem discussed in many forums.
Either the mirror hangs and I cannot continue shooting or the LCD goes on, even if I turn off the camera, and I cannot shoot. Only taking out the battery solves this issue.

Last time the camera continued shooting even when I released the button. I turned it off, took out the battery and put it back in, but the camera continued to behave strangely.

It had the original Pentax battery installed and the latest firmware.

I brought it to the repair service (Foto März in Berlin) but after a week I only got it back with seemingly nothing fixed. I had hopes they would change the mainboard or whatever causes the problem. But since they could not reproduce the flaw, they just put the firmware on it (superfluous since the latest was running), "preemptively checked electronic parts" and set it back.

Now: Can this flaw be fixed at all or should I a) send it to the seller and get my money back, or b) send it to Pentax in order to get a new body?

I do like the K5 but I'm disappointed that I had to send it in twice since I bought it _brand new_. The first time for front focus, the second time for lock-ups.

Same thing with my K10D some years ago. I had to have it repaired for an askew viewfinder.

I might have had it with Pentax, really!

Are there any other users with the lock-up problem and how has it been fixed?

Thank you and best regards from Berlin
Have you updated the firmware? I would suggest try that first and if the problem does not go away, try a different battery. If the problem's still there, send it back under warrantee.