Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-10-2013, 05:51 AM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Finally got my K-5 II

Hi all,

Well, yesterday my K-5 II with a DR 18-135 WR and DA 50-200 WR lenses were delivered. I was hoping to get a IIs but there were none available in Moscow with an undetermined amount of wait time for one to come in. I chose to bite the bullet and go for a II. I chose the lighter weather-sealed lenses as I'm having a beach holiday at the beginning of next month and I'm taking this kit with me. I wanted a camera that could stand up to the elements, not cost an arm and a leg and delivered amazing results.

Yesterday was the first time I had chance to see and hold a K-5 II 'in the flesh' as all dealers in Moscow simply do not stock Pentax DSLRs (this is a Nikon town). But after a LOT of research online I was sure it was the right one for me. Last night as I was holding it and taking a couple of shots, I knew I was right.

Firstly, I was surprised at how compact yet solid the body was and the overall quality of the workmanship. I was very happy with the low light focusing (it was dark in my flat) and how fast and quick the 18-135 was. The 50-200 seemed much slower and noisier to focus by comparison - nothing that I'm going to lose sleep over, though. It was much cheaper lens to buy - and it's light and weather sealed. The menu system made sense without looking at the manual - and the whole camera was fast and responsive. I also checked the automatic horizon correction because I remembered that some people had a problem with this function (it's not super important but without it it looks like I have one leg shorter than the other). It worked great as was very impressive!

Anyway, I'm hoping to put it through it's paces this weekend - the wife and I have been invited to our friend's 'dacha' (Russian summer house in the country) where I hope to take some nature shots.

So far, I'm VERY happy with my purchase.

I'm still thinking of getting a IIs when they are finally available here. I'll either sell the II or keep it as a second body for when I'm out in harsh conditions and I don't want to swap lenses (winters can get cold here). I'm not sure yet.

Last edited by auricle; 07-10-2013 at 05:53 AM. Reason: added section
07-10-2013, 06:01 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 18-135 is a very quick lens. It seems to track action better than the screw-driven lenses and is quiet. It's also pretty good up-close, if you set it to between 35mm and 100mm and don't try to get TOO close.

You're going to have a lot of fun!
07-10-2013, 06:08 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
The 18-135 is a very quick lens. It seems to track action better than the screw-driven lenses and is quiet. It's also pretty good up-close, if you set it to between 35mm and 100mm and don't try to get TOO close.

You're going to have a lot of fun!
Thanks Terry!

Yes, I researched the kit lenses and nearly everybody had good things to say about the 18-135 in comparison to the 18-50. The longer reach also makes it a perfect walk around lens for me.
07-10-2013, 06:17 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats on your new purchase. I'm firmly of the belief that the k-5 style body is the best ever designed for ASPC format. It all just falls into place, feels great in the hand and just 'makes sense'

If i had any suggestion for you it would be to get the optional grip either the WR genuine Pentax, or a cheap knock off (which can be had for very little money and comes with additional spare batteries.)

This will give you even better balance, additional battery capacity, option for AA batteries and a spot for a spare SD card. Very worthwhile.

Good luck with everything

07-10-2013, 06:22 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The only real advice I have is get a sling-type strap. It's much more comfortable. Joby and others make them. I have a Lens Loop, which started on Kickstarter but is now retail. Very secure and convenient.
07-10-2013, 06:41 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice, guys.

Yes, a good flash and the grip are the next items on my purchase list. I have a strap from my old Nikon D70 which I'll re-use - it's like a comfortable sweater
07-10-2013, 12:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Excellent combination of the II + 18-135. My 18-135 lives in my bag or on my camera. When the weather turns bad out comes the 18-135 and I keep shooting Enjoy your new gear! Поздравляю!

07-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I got mine today. Hope to make it to the aquarium tomorrow to try some low light photography.
07-10-2013, 05:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Congrats! The II and IIs are really great cameras and there were some nice improvements over the K5. I second the advice to get the grip. It gives great balance to the camera. I go with the pentax grips to keep the weather sealing, but the off brand ones get the job done if you want to save a little money.
07-10-2013, 08:32 PM   #10
Forum Member

My K-5ii with grip came yesterday. Just started going through the lengthy manual. Purchased the camera with the same zoom plus I also got the 55-300mm zoom.
07-13-2013, 08:17 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by auricle Quote
So far, I'm VERY happy with my purchase.

I'm still thinking of getting a IIs when they are finally available here.
Congratulations to your purchase.

Well done on doing your research and choosing a great camera like the K-5 II.

Don't sweat the difference to the K-5 IIs. I believe you have the better model with the K-5 II.
Typically, you can achieve more than sufficient levels of sharpness through capture sharpening (who cares if the K-5 IIs could to even further than super sharp?) and you have less risk of getting colour artifacts and moiré. I'm writing "less" rather than "no" because the Bayer-AA-filter of the K-5 II is not super strong. You can still get moiré with it in extreme situations. But the chances are a lot lower than with the crippled model (aka K-5 IIs).
07-14-2013, 06:24 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Have fun.

I aim to get the Da*300 tomorrow as a second body with my 60-250.
07-15-2013, 03:17 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks you all for your comments. The more I use this camera the more I like it - it feels very comfortable and the controls seem second nature even though I've owned it for a couple of days.

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Congratulations to your purchase.

Well done on doing your research and choosing a great camera like the K-5 II.

Don't sweat the difference to the K-5 IIs. I believe you have the better model with the K-5 II.
Typically, you can achieve more than sufficient levels of sharpness through capture sharpening (who cares if the K-5 IIs could to even further than super sharp?) and you have less risk of getting colour artifacts and moiré. I'm writing "less" rather than "no" because the Bayer-AA-filter of the K-5 II is not super strong. You can still get moiré with it in extreme situations. But the chances are a lot lower than with the crippled model (aka K-5 IIs).
Cheers for your comments Class A. You've definitely provided food for thought and I'll investigate further.
07-15-2013, 04:22 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome, and congratulations with your new purchase! Looking forward to seeing some photos.
07-15-2013, 05:42 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Congratulations, it's all up from here.