Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2013, 10:10 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
So Just How Bad IS The Moire?

i am selling my K-5 to get the II or IIs. I have struggled the past few days deciding which to get. I mainly shoot fashion and then landscape on the side. my concern with the IIs is int he fashion part with fabrics. I have looked through the sample images and read plenty of threads but I guess I just want some advice.

How bad does the Moire get in fabrics? If your main focus of shooting was fashion, would you still get a IIs if you own one now? Thanks for any and all replies.

07-12-2013, 10:14 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Erron Quote
i am selling my K-5 to get the II or IIs. I have struggled the past few days deciding which to get. I mainly shoot fashion and then landscape on the side. my concern with the IIs is int he fashion part with fabrics. I have looked through the sample images and read plenty of threads but I guess I just want some advice.

How bad does the Moire get in fabrics? If your main focus of shooting was fashion, would you still get a IIs if you own one now? Thanks for any and all replies.
If you shoot fashion, get the II, no the IIs. Usually moire can be corrected, but it can be prominent in certain fabrics (to the point where you don't need to crop or zoom to see it).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-12-2013, 11:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I should go for the nomral version as well, the differnces in sharpness aren't night and day or image "making" so to say but getting moire in that one good fashion shot where the model has the perfect pose and expression is of course no fun...
Also when you might do lookbook photo's you just don't want to be bothered with it.

Comparison from a reviewer who had both.
Pentax K-5 IIs Camera - Review
07-12-2013, 12:49 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
which lenses will you use?

07-12-2013, 12:54 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
which lenses will you use?
50mm 1.7
Tamron 17-40 2.8
35mm 2.4
100-300 4.5
Mamiya 55mm 1.4
Rokinon 85mm 1.4

Preordered the Sigma 18-35 1.8
07-12-2013, 01:25 PM   #6
Pentaxian

The color's also bit more dull from the K-5 IIs.

Of course, with the II (like most cameras) it blurs the image a bit, and then you may try to reverse that process in PP.

Right now I'm shooting mostly landscape and architecture. I use my K-5 IIs more than my K-5. But I usually don't pay attention to which I'm using when I have both with me - I just grab the one with the lens I want. And I generally don't notice which one I used during PP either (although most of my output is for web or magazine size, so resolution is fine on both).

If your photography's anything more than a hobby I hope you have a backup camera. In that case 2 K-5s, 2 K-30s, or just about any other combo would be better than only one K-5 II/IIs. If you can buy the new camera before selling the K-5 you can minimize the risk of having "chosen the wrong one" - for example you can try the IIs and send it back if it's causing problems.

Last edited by DSims; 07-12-2013 at 01:32 PM.
07-12-2013, 01:28 PM   #7

Some times you get color moire, few times when shooting macro fly, the eye shows the color moire.
07-12-2013, 01:30 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

I have the IIs and I love it even for shooting weddings, but if I only shot fashion I would go with the II. I had no moire in the first or second weddings that I shot. The third wedding I did see a (very) little bit on one guy's suit, so I switched to using the K5 to photograph him. I also had a little bit on a back lit photograph of some tulle that was hanging, but once again - I also took the same picture with the K5, so not issues for me or the bride. If you were keeping the K5 I would say go for the IIs and use the K5 when moire appears, but if it is the only camera that you will have, you need that filter!

07-12-2013, 01:31 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
The color's also bit more dull from the K-5 IIs.

Of course, with the II (like most cameras) it blurs the image a bit, and then you may try to reverse that process in PP.

Right now I'm shooting mostly landscape and architecture. I use my K-5 IIs more than my K-5. But I usually don't pay attention to which I'm using when I have both with me - I just grab the one with the lens I want.

If your photography's anything more than a hobby I hope you have a backup camera. In that case 2 K-5s, 2 K-30s, or just about any other combo would be better than only one K-5 II/IIs.
I have a 5d mkii I can use as a backup. I happen to have chosen Pentax over Canon for my main camera. I bought the K-5 originally to make sure I liked the Pentax brand before paying more for the newer version. I will eventually get a backup Pentax, but at this time it isn't needed. The 5d2 doesn't leave my studio.
07-12-2013, 03:42 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Murphy is always alive and well - as in Murphy's Law; "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong". I will also add - at the worst possible time. So, where am I going here. Can you afford to re-do a fashion shoot? At the last minute, before you have a delivery deadline?

A review came up with a figure of an 8% difference in sharpness, between the two bodies. Otherwise they are the same. Another gentleman here posted an excellent analysis on the post processing of images from the two bodies. He was able to essentially negate what ever advantage the IIs had from the additional sharpness.Bottom line, if something were to go wrong and you captured unacceptable Moire, that post processing could not remove, and a re-shoot was impossible, then your stuck.

Now, if you were doing landscapes, I would not really give it another thought and go for the K5IIs without any reservation.

07-12-2013, 05:30 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Murphy is always alive and well - as in Murphy's Law; "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong". I will also add - at the worst possible time. So, where am I going here. Can you afford to re-do a fashion shoot? At the last minute, before you have a delivery deadline?

A review came up with a figure of an 8% difference in sharpness, between the two bodies. Otherwise they are the same. Another gentleman here posted an excellent analysis on the post processing of images from the two bodies. He was able to essentially negate what ever advantage the IIs had from the additional sharpness.Bottom line, if something were to go wrong and you captured unacceptable Moire, that post processing could not remove, and a re-shoot was impossible, then your stuck.

Now, if you were doing landscapes, I would not really give it another thought and go for the K5IIs without any reservation.

What a greatly detailed analysis. Thanks for the link. I agree with your line of thinking. I am just going to go with the II and get over the ego hit of not having the S on the front.
07-14-2013, 04:42 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Somone here also compared the K-01 and the NIkon D800E together with large print, even between those extreme there was not a lot of differnce he said.
D800E had more details but the K-01 hold up good enough and his wife even prefered those prints, really sharpeness is not the most important thing.