Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2013, 11:59 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
K5ii cheaper than k5

Howdy all,

I was just looking through prices at online stores and my local stores and some shops have the k5 for more than the k5ii. Am i missing something here? Im looking at getting the k5ii for christmas and i thought the II was superior over the k5 and so it should be more expensive? Anyone know why this might be?
Thanks heaps

07-14-2013, 12:21 AM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K5ii is an improvement over the K-5 and you should go for the K5ii over the K5 for the same price (or if the K-5ii is cheaper).

It might be however some typo on the online store listing and it is always worth to double-check with them before placing your order.

Hope that the comment does help....
07-14-2013, 01:33 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks hcc, i thought the ii was an improvement and i got a bit confused. Thanks for the comment
07-14-2013, 02:05 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Morning,

The K5II/IIs replaced the K5. The retailers have been clearing their stocks of K5 through aggressive pricing. This pricing usually hits a low, and then as the K5 becomes difficult to find as "New in Box" (NIB), some retailers start to actually raise the price for those that are seeking NIB stock. We have seen this with the K7, K20D and the previous models. In fact you can still go out and do price searches on these older models and find some retailers still offering a few units (new) for some pretty ridiculous prices. Take a look at this link below for the Pentax K7. You have some low prices - probably for some used or possibly refurbish units. Then down at the bottom there are a couple of vendors that still have them "new" at some pretty high prices. There are always some folks who have their unit break and ONLY want a "new" replacement of their old model, and are willing to pay for the privilege.So, the clearance pricing of the replaced unit is pretty aggressive, until the last few units, and then the price seems to bounce back up and then skyrockets due to scarcity.

In fact, you are starting to see this now with the NIB K5. Take a look at this link - as the price spreads are enormous, ranging from $770 to $1,900. You will see the "new" supply dry up at the lower prices while the higher priced units will linger around for years.

Last edited by interested_observer; 07-14-2013 at 02:17 AM.
07-14-2013, 02:15 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks interested_observer, that explains it all
07-14-2013, 04:13 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Its the same reason I saw a K-x at the store for 800 euro a year ago. Its the same reason they still have the original Q or 700 euro at a store here. Its because stores don't know anything about the products they are selling, only the MSRP and some price adjustments according to algorithms.