Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2013, 08:13 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
So $550 to go from a K5 to a K5IIs? That sounds about right if you did it yourself.
I probably would have done it already, except for I shoot with two K5 cameras now.

It would then cost me about $1000 out pocket, which is close to 80% of whatever K5 replacement is coming and about 40% of a new Nikon D800E.

So I am doing nothing.
Or, you could sell one k5 and buy the IIs and then you shoot with a K5 and IIs combo. Everything is in the same place, so switching between cameras is seamless. Think of it as a best both worlds upgrade. The IIs made me less antsy about the FF thing. I know you are printing large, but the added sharpness would help that endeavor....

07-16-2013, 05:51 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like a good deal, but I personally leave longer periods between buying cameras.
I am probably looking at around 2017 to buy a new camera...if at all.
From K10 - K-5 - ?
07-16-2013, 02:15 PM - 1 Like   #18

Photos: Gallery
IMHO $350 is too much extra to justify the upgrade.

My personal strategy would be to keep the K-5 at least as long as the warranty is good (which was 3 years in my case - will expire December 2014).

Also the price gap between consecutive Pentax body models decreases with time quite fast, so the later you update the less it should cost you. Of course it becomes tricky if you have some specific requests, like upgrade to the new model under warranty or something else.

Also the summer is not the best time to upgrade probably. Typically you can get better deals by the end of the year November, December.

$350 is quite a bit of money which you could invest in something else or save.

Another important point to consider: look back to summer 2011 (a bit short of a year after the K-5 release). The K-5 did seem at that time as the ultimate solution to many in a similar way the K-5 II is portrayed now. Unfortunately the early adopters are not necessarily the most pragmatic users and their perception of the new tool may be confirmation bias. I wouldn't be surprised if In a year or so everyone will be more aware of K-5 II issues which may have avoided critical eye so far

(I do own the K-5, I am not planning to upgrade even though I do agree with the OP regarding the AF issues)
07-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I did go ahead and get the K-5 II. I have always had problems with AF on my old K-5 and have missed one too many shots because of that. The AF on the K-5 II is pretty amazing so far. I can literally just point the camera at anything under any lighting condition (much lower than my eye sight will allow me to see) and I have a sharp image. I can now safely rely on focus confirmation when using manual lens, whereas before it was a crap shoot. I have tested about 5 lenses on the new machine and so far none required any fine AF adjustment.

I think image quality and other aspects of the camera are about the same as before (as expected). For me, the price was well worth it as I was very happy with my old K-5 other than its crazy AF. Now that has been fixed, I do not see the need to upgrade the body for a while.