Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2013, 02:30 PM   #1

Controls Lock

New poster, long time lurker. Your tips, advice and reviews have been much appreciated including my purchase of a K5IIs a few months back.

I find myself needing help that I cannot otherwise ferret out of the forums. Perhaps my search foo is weak today

I recently began using a BlackRapid RSD-1BB Double for my cameras (although usually just one half over the shoulder). I shoot in TAv or M 99% of the time, and I'm finding that when the camera is at rest, down near my left hip, that the shutter speed is often getting rolled to max (8000 on my K5IIs) as the dial rubs against my body. If I'm hiking in the woods, or covering an event, I want to be at the ready to shoot and so my camera tends to remain powered on. Having to recheck my settings isn't lending itself to spur of the moment shots as much as I'd like.

So, my question is: how to solve this without powering off/on? Is there a way of locking the controls to prevent accidental changes? Like a keyboard lockout?

Sure, I could switch to my right hip if I have to, but on the left suits me for one camera, and that won't solve anything when I'm slinging two: one will still be subject to this.

Thanks everyone.

07-17-2013, 03:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Probably the simplest option would be to simply switch to B mode, which disables the front edial by default. B is also adjacent to M or TAv, so it's a quick adjustment.

If you were shooting Tv alone you could simply disable using the front dial. Ditto for M. But in TAV you can only swap over between assigning Av or Tv for the front/rear dials, alas.

There is also an option in P mode to disable everything (front/rear edials + green button) if you want.

(K-5 Manual - pp282-285 relates).
07-18-2013, 01:12 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks rawr. I'll investigate those possibilities, but I suspect they won't be any quicker than turning off then on again.

Hard to believe I'm the only one who suffers this...ah well.
07-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gryhnd Quote
I suspect they won't be any quicker than turning off then on again.
Indeed. That still strikes me as the easiest solution. After all, the camera springs to life in only 1 second or so once switched on.

07-18-2013, 05:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Indeed. That still strikes me as the easiest solution. After all, the camera springs to life in only 1 second or so once switched on.
It takes longer than one second for the SR to settle after turn-on.
07-18-2013, 06:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
It takes longer than one second for the SR to settle after turn-on.
Assuming SR is on...

But no matter what option he chose, any SR activation 'delay' would still be there.
Also the SR circuitry may be receiving a trickle of electrical power but certainly isn't providing SR continuously when the camera is merely powered on. I'm pretty sure that only once the shutter-button is depressed does the SR provide SR, after the camera has done stuff like measured camera motion and assessed the active focal length of the lens.