Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
07-17-2013, 08:29 PM   #16
mee
Veteran Member

Lovely capture :c )

I am wondering why you don't have any star trails with 25 second exposures and no tracking involved? When I try this, anything longer than 5 seconds begins to show star trails pretty obviously.

Also wondering how were you able you zoom so smoothly at the beginning?

07-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kamayok3 Quote
This is my setup during the timelapse capturing process.
Woah, hold on! What's that black box that says "PENTAX" on it? Is the blue thing a battery? What's the switch for? I mean, explain what all this stuff is for! What's the phone for?

I was going to ask if you were using the camera's built-in intervalometer, but from your setup, I'm guessing you did that externally. The in-camera time lapse isn't so reliable for long exposures, I've found.
07-17-2013, 08:47 PM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Lovely capture :c )

I am wondering why you don't have any star trails with 25 second exposures and no tracking involved? When I try this, anything longer than 5 seconds begins to show star trails pretty obviously.

Also wondering how were you able you zoom so smoothly at the beginning?
For the zooming part, thanks to Adobe after effect.
07-17-2013, 08:49 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I don't think you'd be able to see star trails on an 8mm lens taking video-sized frames. A full HD video is only 2 megapixels.

I've got a whole bunch of time lapse footage stacked up in my archive. I need to get out and do some more! Then I need to do something with all this footage. Thanks for inspiring me, man!

07-17-2013, 08:53 PM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
Woah, hold on! What's that black box that says "PENTAX" on it? Is the blue thing a battery? What's the switch for? I mean, explain what all this stuff is for! What's the phone for?

I was going to ask if you were using the camera's built-in intervalometer, but from your setup, I'm guessing you did that externally. The in-camera time lapse isn't so reliable for long exposures, I've found.
hahahaha......sorry about that. Okay, the black box is DIY power adapter for my K5. The blue thing is a 12v battery, which you can easily get it over ebay. The switch is the ON/OFF for my dew heater cable. But that night i am not using the phone to become intervalometer. I use my yongnuo shutter remote timer all night.

The camera built-in intervalometer works as well. Just you have to set it properly. Normally, external intervalometer is better.

Tommy
07-17-2013, 08:54 PM   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
I don't think you'd be able to see star trails on an 8mm lens taking video-sized frames. A full HD video is only 2 megapixels.

I've got a whole bunch of time lapse footage stacked up in my archive. I need to get out and do some more! Then I need to do something with all this footage. Thanks for inspiring me, man!
Pls post here and let us watch it after you've finish them. Thanks a lot.
07-17-2013, 09:22 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by krp Quote
I tried to make a milky way timelapse last week but my lens fogged up after only 15 minutes
The switch is the ON/OFF for my dew heater cable.
Aha! Very clever. I guess the yellow wire around the lens hood is the heater cable? I wouldn't need one of those out here in the desert. The temperature never drops below the dew point. I'm going out to the mountains, way away from civilization, in two weeks. That will be the perfect opportunity to try something like this.

As you said, I believe my issue with the in-camera intervalometer was stupid settings. If you tell it to shoot in intervals shorter than the actual shutter speed, it will stop taking pictures before it reaches the number you've specified. But then, there was a user complaining of all sorts of intervalometer issues with his K-30 not long ago, but it appears his camera was defective somehow.

I honestly haven't done that much in the two years that I've had Pentax DSLRs. I did a ton right after I discovered the Canon Hack Development Kit (CHDK). I hacked my old PowerShot to get an intervalometer that worked really well, and it didn't cost anything. That was important in my college days.

I've only put together one video so far. I used most of the footage I took at college. Most of the clips were with the hacked Canon, but one or two were with the K-r. Unfortunately, the video is blocked in some countries (Germany, Sweden, some others) because I used music.

07-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #23
Inactive Account

Hi all, this is my latest Milky Way timelapse taken with Pentax K5 + Samyang 8mm FE lens. Hope you guys like it.

Pentax K5 - Milky Way Timelapse 2013 - YouTube
That's great, nicely done!

Do you have other videos with this setup?
07-18-2013, 03:46 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
excellent.
07-18-2013, 05:20 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Kamayok3, that is a beautiful video! Very smoothly rendered and interesting.
Thanks for the explanation on all the accoutrements - I would've had no idea.
Can you post the light painting still shots of the building with the awesome sky? That mustve come out great too!
07-18-2013, 06:01 PM - 2 Likes   #26
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
Kamayok3, that is a beautiful video! Very smoothly rendered and interesting.
Thanks for the explanation on all the accoutrements - I would've had no idea.
Can you post the light painting still shots of the building with the awesome sky? That mustve come out great too!
Thanks Mike. Your request are here:

Tommy
07-18-2013, 07:02 PM   #27

That's superb work Kamayok3, really inspirational use of your gear.

mmm... more project ideas
07-22-2013, 01:05 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Hi all, this is my latest Milky Way timelapse taken with Pentax K5 + Samyang 8mm FE lens.
Thanks for sharing, that's awesome stuff!
07-23-2013, 01:07 AM   #29

Nice timelapse. That rig looks very genuine in it's own way.
04-11-2014, 10:51 PM   #30
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Sweet!!!
Nice!!
I found your timelapse on youtube and followed you here, of course.
As a budding astrophotographer, I'm obsessed with milky way captures.
I've done several with my K-30 and I'm going to buy a K-5 soon, so, man, just awesome!!