Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2013, 08:39 AM   #1
Forum Member

Magnification during picture composing

My other camera, cheap Samsung NX1000 has a nice feature : when I compose a picture using manual focusing mode while using AF lens I have an option to magnify the subject by simply rotating focus ring on the lens. Same happens when I use manual lens - after pressing "OK" button on camera's body I get 8x magnification in live view. I was unable to find similar feature(s)on K-5. Did I miss something in user's manual ?
Help will be greatly appreciated.

07-18-2013, 09:10 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-5 can do it too, also via the OK button I believe, though I'm not positive off the top of my head.
07-18-2013, 09:33 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You can also set how much magnification you want. I think from 2x, 4x, or 6x instantly. If you want to zoom in or zoom out, the back wheel does that for you.
07-18-2013, 09:34 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
cool

Adam, could you elaborate, please ? I will need step by step instructions I tried everything - "OK" button combinations included and it wouldn't work out for me .....

07-18-2013, 09:36 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
You can also set how much magnification you want. I think from 2x, 4x, or 6x instantly. If you want to zoom in or zoom out, the back wheel does that for you.
Do I go from menu to do that ? If so, what part of menu ? Or should I just turn the wheel while composing ? Thanks/
07-18-2013, 09:40 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Itīs not the OK button but the "info" one. While in liveview (LV button), hit "info" and for x2 zoom. Again for x4 and so on. You can also use the arrow keys to move arround the frame
07-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by atarget Quote
Do I go from menu to do that ? If so, what part of menu ? Or should I just turn the wheel while composing ? Thanks/
It is in the menu - AF settings (Turn on AF Autozoom). On my k-01, I hit OK to go into zoomed in mode, and it shows me that I can change the magnification with the backwheel. On the k-5 it might be a little different.
07-18-2013, 09:45 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
Itīs not the OK button but the "info" one. While in liveview (LV button), hit "info" and for x2 zoom. Again for x4 and so on. You can also use the arrow keys to move arround the frame
Perfect and precise reply. Thanks a lot . Also, thanks everyone who replied to my query.

07-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
I can get up to 6x mag @ live view mode but I can't shoot in that mode. So I need to deactivate live view and go back to viewfinder mode ( otherwise when I press shutter button no picture is taken). It's quite inconvenient when I do it "handheld" - too many buttons to press and the subject may either move or I may move with my camera. Situation worsens if I use prime glass @ wide open aperture due to paper-thin dof. I might try it when my camera is on tripod and I shoot portraiture stuff . I press many buttons then anyways ( e.g. mirror-up w/ir remote). Unless I'm missing something, Samsung is much more convenient because all I have there is "live view" (no viewfinder) and I can shoot from that mode as soon as I put my subject on focus plane in 8x mag . Another cool feature of NX1000 is real time live view image - with all parameters ( iso, aperture, shutter speed) in anticipation of the shot. Could anyone comment on it , please ?
07-18-2013, 02:31 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
It looks like a monologue now but I'll post it just in case someone else is interested. Many quality primes don't come with AF.In fact, the sharpest and fastest ones are fully manual glass ( e.g. Rokinon 85mm f/1.4). That's why is so important for serious photographers to have the tools handy, which facilitate focusing. For K-5 it's all in user manual but it's 400 page book and what I normally do in such a case is putting my hands on a camera and seek particular info in user manual. Reading it from the beginning to the end before familiarizing yourself with the equipment misses the point - unless one is able to memorize 400 pages of compressed information ( not my bag). Anyways, in manual camera mode after pressing "LV" button there's an option to get up to 10x mag level ( in 2x increments) when repeatedly pressing "INFO" button. After placing the subject in focus just press the shutter button. I prefer infrared remote - it just takes one firm press on remote's button plus camera's shake is reduced to zero ( note that when you mount K-5 on tripod in-camera shake reduction mechanism disengages). At max magnification the image on lcd screen is sort of grainy ( I checked under various lighting conditions) as compared to Samsung NX1000 where it's crystal clear - despite the fact that both cameras have 921K dot screens. It's still better, than no mag . By the way, for AF function mag level on LV only goes up to 6x, which is understandable. I took some test shots with Pentax lenses I have of $1 bill from ca. 6 meters distance and the results are stunning. I will post results as time permits.
07-18-2013, 06:56 PM   #11
Pentaxian

If AF lever is on AF.S or AF.C, magnification goes to x6. If the lever is in MF, magnification goes to x10.
Of course you can depress the shutter while on Liveview, using magnification or not.
07-19-2013, 07:11 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks. I think I figured it all out now
You guys have been very helpful and saved me some time with learning curve on K-5.
It's truly perfect and very advanced tool.
07-20-2013, 07:58 PM   #13
Site Supporter

I'm trying to work out LiveView, too.

Yesterday, whilst trying to shoot (using a tripod), I was using LiveView for the first time and occasionally when I pressed the cable remote button, the camera would magnify the image but not take the pic. Very frustrating as I never knew if it was going to take the pic or not.

I was using LiveView as the subject was very dark (20-30 second exposures) and almost impossible to see in the viewfinder to manually focus but quite visible in LV.
07-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
occasionally when I pressed the cable remote button, the camera would magnify the image but not take the pic. Very frustrating as I never knew if it was going to take the pic or not.
The shutter must be depressed (half depressed when using the cameraīs shutter release) during the time autofocus takes to lock. In "normal" mode, PDAF is fast it locks before you let go the shutter release. But in Liveview, CDAF takes longer, so you should hold the shutter release until the "focus square" on the screen turns green or you hear the focus confirmation sound. This applies whether using the cable release or shutter release on the camera.
Thatīs why sometimes it fired and some not, you werenīt holding the shutter release long enough. Disabling autofocus when using liveview on a tripod seems like the best option for me.
Also, when focusing, liveview magnifies the image automatically to the zone where it will autofocus on.
07-20-2013, 10:35 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Ah! I did see the green square.

I'll do a bit more practice. Thanks very much.

I was down in a valley photographing waterfalls and didn't have the user manual with me.