Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2013, 02:57 AM   #46
Forum Member

To cut it short: if you are a beginner on a budget used to a P&S camera, I advice you not to drool too much about the pro-equipment advertised here.

Any long lens with any DSLR will get you started. Find out your self where your preferences are and don't be afraid to replace a lens once you find it is constraining your fun.

Old manual lenses are usually cheap and may still be quite sharp. They are a lot of fun to work with, practice with set-ups and very satisfying if the results are good. Pentax has the great advantage over CaNikon in that it has in-body stabilisation. Even cheap old lenses are image stabilised.

Have fun and post some pictures.

07-25-2013, 06:34 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Reptilezz Quote
Thanks clockwork that video had some great tips. On the topic of long lenses, what would provide better image quality and be easier to carry around on a bush walk? Sigma 120-400 $700 or sigma 150-500 $800
150-500, that lens is too popular to ignore, the next step up are the pro lens from each company (nikon/canon/sony), not sure if pentax has a pro telezoom.

There's another reason for zoom lens VS prime, it's easier to catch subject, if you ever hold a 500mm prime and try to catch the moon you'll know what I'm talking about, the moon is a bright subject on a black back ground, on theory that's easy to get a picture of, however, when you're out at 500mm, your FOV is so small, you breath and the dam thing is no longer in the frame. this is where zoom comes in. Zoom all the way out to the shorter FL, get the subject in view, and zoom back out to max FL to get the most detail out of the subject.

most of the pros for wild life shooting uses prime, but they also have the technique, some of them mount other devices on the lens to help them spot the subjects. but that's another story all together.
07-26-2013, 12:47 AM   #48

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohntheThird Quote
To cut it short: if you are a beginner on a budget used to a P&S camera, I advice you not to drool too much about the pro-equipment advertised here.

Any long lens with any DSLR will get you started. Find out your self where your preferences are and don't be afraid to replace a lens once you find it is constraining your fun.

Old manual lenses are usually cheap and may still be quite sharp. They are a lot of fun to work with, practice with set-ups and very satisfying if the results are good. Pentax has the great advantage over CaNikon in that it has in-body stabilisation. Even cheap old lenses are image stabilised.

Have fun and post some pictures.
Thanks for your reply. Im looking at a k5ii because i think that i will outgrow an entry level camera too soon. I have manual controlls on the camera i use now ( shutter speed, apature and iso) and i dont use auto. I may also get a nice tele manual focus lens as well if i can find one cheap.
07-26-2013, 01:13 AM   #49
Forum Member

Thanks for your reply. Im looking at a k5ii because i think that i will outgrow an entry level camera too soon. I have manual controlls on the camera i use now ( shutter speed, apature and iso) and i dont use auto. I may also get a nice tele manual focus lens as well if i can find one cheap.

Well, look on ebay for long teles (with or without zoom) and check the reviews on this website. If you get a M42 adapter (without flange) you can easily double your choice and find very fine lenses to start with. These oldies are often a tenth of the price of a new equivalent, are good fun to play with and really teach you about photograpy - get a real understanding of ISO/aperture/shutter/exposure. Soon you will find that with a little practice you can easily beat the cheaper auto lenses.

07-26-2013, 01:15 AM   #50

Original Poster
Thanks, i will certainly have a look atbthe oldies if it saves me money and goves good IQ
07-26-2013, 01:28 AM   #51
Banned

Maybe post some examples of your work and we can help steer you a bit better.
07-26-2013, 01:54 AM   #52

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
Maybe post some examples of your work and we can help steer you a bit better.
Sure.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  177.2 KB

07-26-2013, 01:56 AM   #53

Original Poster
Im not sure if i can do more than one image in each post on my ipad
Attached Images

07-26-2013, 01:58 AM   #54

Original Poster
Striated pardalote but is very noisy
Attached Images

07-26-2013, 01:59 AM   #55

Original Poster
I think ill do one more
Attached Images

07-26-2013, 02:01 AM   #56

Original Poster
Last one of a yellow robin
Attached Images

07-26-2013, 02:37 AM   #57

Original Poster
Also none of these have been edited
07-26-2013, 03:42 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
These are really good! But EXIF would be really useful.
07-26-2013, 03:46 AM   #59

Original Poster
Thanks so much giklab i push myself to get a good photo of my subject, and when i walk down my backyard every weekend on saturday and sunday (4acres) i usually spend 2 and a half hours down there taking photos of birds and by the time i get them on my pc out of say 200 photos im left with 10 or so
07-26-2013, 03:49 AM   #60

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
These are really good! But EXIF would be really useful.
The only way i can get the settings i used is from the camera because it doesnt show on my flickr

Last edited by Reptilezz; 07-26-2013 at 04:03 AM.