Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
Inactive Account

your recommendations !! .... K-5 or K-50 ??

I am new to this forum, and I was wondering if you could provide me with some help " or a recommendation"

First of all, I am not aiming to be a professional, I am only a hobbyist, and I would like to buy a DSLR "for the first time" ........ I live in north Africa "specifically in Libya", which is extremely hot in the summer, and it could get a little bit dusty some days. So a weather sealing is an appealing feature, i cant spend more than 800-900 $ for now, and i like Pentax's cameras, they are well known for their durability, I shoot landscape, night camps, and sports "from time to time". At the beginning i was aiming for a K-5, and with a little digging on the internet, I found a lot of users complaining about the autofocus performance of the camera in low light "front focusing in tungsten light" ......... There are the K-30 & K-50, but I am not sure about these two cameras .... right now the K-5 is available on amazon for about 770 $ with a standard 18-55 mm kit lens. With the left money I can buy a tripod, an SD card and perhaps an extra battery, or i can just buy the the K-50/18-55mm/50-200mm bundle for about 880 $ ........ so what do you think ?? ......... what do you recommend and why ??

Thank you for your time .....

07-24-2013, 12:06 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
k-5. For the weathersealing if nothing else. It is a professional level camera with controls and features to match. If both were new and at their 'release' prices I would not suggest it because it would be abve your budget, but at current prices no question in my mind.

I also see a lot of 'bad focus' posts. I have over 30,000 images with my k-5 and not one that I can say was caused by the camera miss-focusing. Lots of images that I messed up but not the camera. Others have different experiences and to be fair I rarely if ever shoot in tungsten light.
07-24-2013, 01:09 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The K-50 would probably be the most affordable way to get a fully weather-sealed kit. But if the K-5 is cheaper, then yeah, I'd recommend going with it as it's a bit better for stills.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-24-2013, 02:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I'd get this if you can:

Pentax K-5 II 16.3 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera (Body with Lens Kit) | Overstock.com

Better focusing, better camera, better lens, and all of it WR.

Discussed here as well:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/232403-pentax-deals-ge...ases-sept.html

07-24-2013, 02:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I actually got a K-30 to replace my broken K-5...since the K-30 and K-50 are essentially the same except for the body styling, I think my write-up may help a little at least:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-30/230552-switched-k-5-k-30-a.html
07-24-2013, 02:53 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K5 hands down - K5II even better! 14bit vs. 12bit. More dynamic range. Mag chassis, accepts a grip, external mic, better O-GPS-1 implementation, better batteries, PC sync socket.

The K5II is the best Pentax DSLR to date taking into account all features.
07-24-2013, 04:50 PM   #7
Yos
Veteran Member

I say go for a K-30 with 18-135mm WR lens + a spare battery.
Will not cost you that much money and you should also be able to afford a good tripod within your budget.
The K-5 or K-5II is on paper the better camera for still but if this is your first DSLR the K-30 will still meet all your needs for a few years.

Just my 2 cents

07-24-2013, 09:55 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
I bought a K-R a few years ago, mainly for my wife. It made me realize that I wanted the K-5. (I used to use a Mamiya 645 back in the 80's for weddings and portraits... but I had avoided digital cameras up until recently and took a hiatus from Photography.)

Since we were going to Italy for June... I felt it was time to splurge and buy the K-5IIs. The K-5IIs definitely takes better pictures than the K-R. Although I'm sure the K-30/K-50 are better than the older K-R, I can't see them being as good as the K-5II.

If I bought the K-50 it would probably work okay and be acceptable. But I'd be always wondering if I shouldn't have just paid jut a little extra and gone with the K-5II. I would hate always wondering. If there was a $300.00-$400.00 difference between the K-50 and the K-5II then things would be different; but it looks like less than a $100.00. So to me I couldn't NOT get at least the K-5II.