Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2013, 07:49 PM   #16

Original Poster
Will it harm the body's aperture control motor to be brought up short by the lens's aperture ring?

07-25-2013, 07:50 PM   #17

Original Poster
Alternatively, couldn't you set the aperture to wide open on the body, and then control the aperture using the lens aperture control?
07-25-2013, 08:02 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sicariphus Quote
Will it harm the body's aperture control motor to be brought up short by the lens's aperture ring?
No. Because it's not possible if you think through what is happening mechanically.
07-26-2013, 09:34 AM   #19

Original Poster
So you *could* set it for wide open and then control the aperture with the lens's ring... Hm. This is really a huge help, thanks so much.

07-26-2013, 09:59 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sicariphus Quote
So you *could* set it for wide open and then control the aperture with the lens's ring... Hm. This is really a huge help, thanks so much.
Not really. If you tell your body the lens is wide open, the body will hold the lens wide open no matter what you set on the lens' aperture ring. I am guessing you are picturing the mechanics of aperture control exactly backwards of how it works.

Take your lens off and look through it from the back. It will be fully stopped down. So how does it become fully open for focusing? The body holds it wide open against the spring. So if you set the aperture on your body to wide open, the lens won't close down at all during the exposure, no matter what you set on the lens' aperture ring.

Now lets say you set the body to the lens' minimum aperture, but you set the lens to some mid-range number. When you trip the shutter, the body will totally release the lens' aperture lever. However, the aperture will stop mid-way to wherever you set the lens' aperture. But hold on.... YOU told the camera the lens would be fully stopped down, so your metering is based on this same value. But if the aperture stopped mid-way because of how the lens was set, you will have a picture overexposed by however many stops there are between fully stopped down and where you put the lens.

Leaving the lens' aperture ring at its minimum value and controlling the aperture from the body MIGHT work, I've never tried it. But the other way around will decidedly not work. My recommendation is to look at what the camera's metering says, then manually set the lens' aperture ring to the same f/stop. At worst you will slightly overexpose doing it this way. Mechanically it will not be possible to underexpose.
07-26-2013, 10:48 AM   #21

Original Poster
Right, my mistake, I forgot which direction I meant.
What I had in mind was to set the aperture for 22 (or whatever the minimum is), and then add one stop of negative exposure compensation for every stop up from minimum the lens is set to. It's difficult to adjust on the fly, but you ARE guaranteed an accurate exposure.

On the other hand, your method may be preferable if you might need to adjust aperture rapidly.