Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Weird thing just happened

My K5 locked up and upon further inspection I found the focusing screen and its holder unsnapped. No big deal to reset but wonder why this happened after at least 5000 images??? Ever happened to anyone else?

08-06-2013, 11:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

That is weird... have you ever fiddled with the focusing screen - like try and remove it for cleaning/changing screen (or curiozity!?).

Probably it wasn't snaped properly in... when you "snapped it" back in, did it took a little bit of effort to put it back? If not, then maybe what happens is that the tab that retains the "door" is a little loose and when the mirror "slaps" it, it gets loose... !?
08-06-2013, 12:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

This happened twice when I had my LX. The first time, I was at a drag race with jet-powered cars, the second was on a "five-countries-in-one-day" trip where the screen fell in Luxembourg.
08-06-2013, 12:30 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
This happened twice when I had my LX. The first time, I was at a drag race with jet-powered cars, the second was on a "five-countries-in-one-day" trip where the screen fell in Luxembourg.
Don't say it's my fault

08-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Den Quote
My K5 locked up and upon further inspection I found the focusing screen and its holder unsnapped. No big deal to reset but wonder why this happened after at least 5000 images??? Ever happened to anyone else?
Just happened to me two days ago while changing lenses, in a hotel in Cologne before going out to get some nice shots, I was not happy about the timing :-)
also I had not my tools with me, so by accident I came to touch the mirror, the focus screen was on the back on my lens when I took it of...!!!
Still the pictures look okey :-)
08-06-2013, 04:30 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Don't say it's my fault
Aha! Frederic can cause focusing screens to fall out!! So, next time I go to Luxembourg, bring a mirrorless camera...

BTW, to the OP: no, I've never had that happen. I changed the focusing screen on my K20D, but it never flopped or fell down (I'm assuming the little plastic holder fell down). Yes, weird...
08-06-2013, 04:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Don't say it's my fault
You must be feeling guilty.

08-07-2013, 01:48 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you guys, I will remember to SHAKE your... hand when you come to Luxembourg