Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2013, 06:09 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5lls and Katzeye screen

I've just ordered one for my K5lls. All of my lenses (with the exception of the FA77) are Zeiss or Voightlander manual focus. Dose anyone have experiences to share with a Katzeye on a K5lls?
Tom

08-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #2
Forum Member

I heard ( again - just heard) that Katzeye is a waste of money. Get yourself a good 3.5x angle finder or use extra pair of reading glasses while focusing. Personally - I do not believe in split focusing screens. I trust my eyes, regular matte screen and some magnifying manual focusing devices.
08-07-2013, 08:17 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a Katzeye screen in my K5 and my K5-IIs. I like them a lot. Being an old timer I am used to the split screen and the micro prism focusing is nice too. I only have one auto focus lens. The Pentax DA 12 -24mm lens. All the rest are older manual focus lenses. Sadly some of my older lenses have developed internal mold and element separation so some old favorites are no longer usable. I am currently looking into the Pentax 18 - 135 WR and the Sigma 50 to 500 mm lenses but that money just went into a root canal and crown.
08-07-2013, 09:17 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have the magnifying eyepiece (forget what it's called now) on the camera, but, with an 85 at f2 DOF is pretty shallow and focus (for portraits) is critical. Hoping the Katzeye will help.

08-08-2013, 07:03 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a split-screen on my K-10, but haven't modded my K5 yet. There are times I wish I had modded it.
I got good use with macro using the split-screen, and used it to quickly confirm where I was focusing with other uses.

If you're careful you can swap it out, see how you like it and if you don't, just swap the stock screen back. No big deal.
08-14-2013, 09:20 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaiChiTom Quote
I have the magnifying eyepiece (forget what it's called now) on the camera, but, with an 85 at f2 DOF is pretty shallow and focus (for portraits) is critical. Hoping the Katzeye will help.
A follow up on the Katzeye screen for my K5lls. Started to work on installing it yesterday morning. I followed the installation instructions on the Katzeye web site very carefully, but couldn't seem to get it to seat into the screen bracket. It seemed too large. I even tried to replace the original matte screen and could not. After several attempts without success, I closed the bracket and mounted a lens. Fired a shot and heard a bit of rattling in the camera. When I removed the lens the screen fell out. I called Katzeye and described my problem. The person to whom I spoke couldn't give me much more info than was on the web site instructions. She did, however, say that sometimes the latch holding the bracket may not completely lock. I tried one more time, still not satisfied the screen was properly seated, and closed the latch. It gave a very solid click on closing. I mounted a lens and things seemed fine. I have tested with several lens since yesterday and everything seems OK. Manual focusing can be very precise, but still takes a lot of care and attention, especially at large apertures. Tends to under expose, but dialing in +.3 EV compensation remedies that. Recommended for those who are old school or need precise manual focusing. Just be prepared for some anxious moments.
08-14-2013, 10:07 AM   #7

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/142241-best-screen-ever-manual...anon-ee-s.html

That thread is about the Canon EE-S focusing screen, and there are references to the Katzeye screens.

I have read all 40 pages (as of today) and am waiting for my EE-S screen. Metering seems to be a huge problem with the Katzeye screens.
08-14-2013, 10:32 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Can't say that I agree that metering is a huge problem with Katzeye. From my admittedly limited experience images are a bit underexposed which can easily be remedied with a little EV compensation.