Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
[Help] Best price on K-5 II and how to buy

So, I am ready to buy a K-5 II and wanted to see if anyone can help me with getting the lowest price and warranty. I am from Argentina so I will be sending the camera to Miami.
Until now, the best price Iīve found is at Amazon for U$D 839, "Sold by Great Lakes Cameras and Fulfilled by Amazon" so I guess it would be allright (right?). It includes 2 days free shipping:
Amazon.com: Pentax K-5 II 16.3 MP DSLR Body Only (Black): Camera & Photo
Am I missing something?

Next is the extended warranty for U$D 20 at Adorama or Amazon:
Pentax 2 Year Extended Warranty for all current Pentax DSLR, Compact and Q Cameras. (Total Warranty 3 years - 1 Year Standard + 2 Years Additional)
Amazon.com: Pentax 2 Year Extended Warranty for all current Pentax DSLR, Compact and Q Cameras. (Total Warranty 3 years - 1 Year Standard + 2 Years Additional): Camera & Photo
I guess Iīd buy it from Adorama just to support the forum. But how does it work? I know I need to buy it at the same time as the new camera but then what is it? a paper? electronic registration?
I know being from Argentina I wonīt be able to use it. But if anything strange happened, Iīd rather send it to Miami and have it fixed by Pentax itself.

So, Does anyone know a better deal for the K-5 II? Am I forgetting something? Should I buy something else?

Thanks in advance,
Francisco

08-09-2013, 08:34 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cannot help with pricing but the extended warranty is just a piece of card stock printed with the information. You would need the receipt for the camera and the receipt for the warranty to send in if you ever used the warranty.

My k-5 is in the shop right now and they required a photocopy of both receipts as well as a copy of the extended warranty card to be sent in with it.
08-09-2013, 08:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi

Consider the store you buy from as important, After sales is as important as the MSRP. Some stores will sell you the cheapest, the next thing you know the store is in Hong Kong.

However my friend I have found a way to find the cheapest price. You can use my method if you like.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/11011776759262557576/online?hl=en&q=...rds=scoring:tp

Use the above URL for Google Shopping. The cost from most of the online stores should show up. I searched for "Pentax K-5 II", you can search for "Pentax K-5 II 18-55" or "18-135".

Worked for me always, hope it works for you.

Cheers!
08-09-2013, 08:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Jatrax,
I
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
the extended warranty is just a piece of card stock printed with the information
What information? Camera serial number for example? How do they fill it out if they are sold by different vendors?

08-09-2013, 08:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The above one I guess is with 18-135 mm lens.

This one is body only:

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/5902968649140439816/online?hl=en&q=P...prds=scoring:p

HTH
08-09-2013, 08:49 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
What information? Camera serial number for example? How do they fill it out if they are sold by different vendors?
Sorry, it is all just the fine print about the warranty on one side and instructions on how to use it on the other. There is no connection to an actual camera that I can tell. There is a number pre-printed on the warranty card but I do not know if that is specific to my card or generic for all cards.

I sent mine in to CRIS and all they asked for was the camera serial number, a copy of both sides of the warranty card, camera receipt and warranty receipt. Seems as if you could buy several cameras and only one warranty and then use it on whichever one needed it. Maybe they connect the warranty to the camera serial number when you use they warranty? I just do not know. I will know more when I get the camera back, it is on 'parts hold' at this point.
08-09-2013, 09:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry, it is all just the fine print about the warranty on one side and instructions on how to use it on the other.
Ok, great. I get it. Thanks again. Hope you get your camera back working as good as new. I remember reading about you having a motor jam problem?

Reading the description of the warranty:
QuoteQuote:
Pentax Ricoh warrants to the original purchaser the product to operate according to factory specifications for a period of three years from the original date of purchase (one-year standard + two-year extended)
Pentax Ricoh will provide, at no charge, one complete check-up at any time during the warranty period. This includes inspection of all camera functions to see that they meet factory specifications.
NOT VALID IN FLORIDA, THE COMMONWEALTH OF VIRGINIA OR WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW.
I found out tha it is not valid for Florida, so I couldnīt have it sent to Miami, right? I should have it sent somewhere else in the US to be able to use it some day? PErhaps @Adam can help me out.

@Deedee, thanks for the google shopping link, looks like a great resource.
Great prices to be found as low as 759 from rythercamera but it looks a bit shady as all of them who has the camera below U$D800 with "7-10 bussiness day free shipping"

08-09-2013, 09:26 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
I found out tha it is not valid for Florida, so I couldnīt have it sent to Miami, right?
I think I would email Pentax or Adorama and ask about that. Seems odd to not be valid. I have seen similar statements before and it meant that the state involved had a stricter or at least different warranty law. But I would ask. You are taking delivery in Florida so just ask how the warranty works in that state.

Yes, the mirror was jamming part way so not allowing the complete cycle. I have a trip schedule in September and I'm hoping it is back by then. A nice feature at CRIS is you can login and check the status of anything you have with them. Mine said 'arrived' then 'in service' and now says 'parts hold'.
08-09-2013, 09:29 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Found this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/ask-b-h-photo/167233-extended-warranty-question.html

And here is the CRIS repair page: Camera Repair by CRIS Camera Services - Pentax Camera Repair
08-09-2013, 03:37 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Found this thread: Extended warranty question
Thanks again. So, I should have it sent somewhere other than Florida, then thereīs no problem with registration.

I hope someone can help me with the price. I couldnīt find other reliable sellers with price better than $839
08-09-2013, 04:25 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I went to Ebay

I got the K5IIs for $979 shipped. It came from canada with a WR18-55 lens. Im sure it has a international warranty , but it didnt matter to me. I dont know about Argentina though. I do know that Amazon had a K5II listed for something like $739 with a international warranty from ajrichies but dont see it now.....Keep looking , and good luck.......Patience is the answer.