Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you have made some excellent choices in your lenses. As you observed you're not really locked into to anything. There are a lot of very high quality glass lenses available, however they do take some searching - along with some luck. RioRico has not posted for over a year now - was both a legend and extremely knowledgeable on the subject of optics. Rico had the hamburger rule -
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Better the poor house than the homeless encampment. But I digress. My lens rule is actually:

If it costs less than a sandwich or burger, grab it.
If it costs more than a deluxe pizza, think hard about it.
If it costs more than a fine dinner out with your partner(s), ask her!

More about money: I bought my K20D and original kit about 3.5 years ago (after extensive research and analysis) because I had an inheritance. I bought over 100 old lenses with that inheritance - and knee surgery, etc. (Thanks for dying, Mom!) Then the money ran out. I have no disposable income. If I want to buy fun stuff, I must sell something first. Thus I became an eBay trader, with self-supporting LBA.

Designing one's own purchase strategy isn't hard, no harder than working up any budget plan. Set aside some income, or generate some income (rob minimarts, sell grandkids, whatever), and don't go into debt. Blow the money you have, not money you don't have. That way, your loved ones won't murder you.
If you go back through Rico's old posts, he was very open on the various lenses he acquired and the qualities that lead him to acquire them. So, in terms of putting together a fine collection of glass at a very affordable cost, this is the approach to take.On the topic of wide angle lenses - there is really no getting around it other than they are expensive. The cropped sensor helps on the telephoto end, but hinders on with wide end. 28mm is somewhat the cut off in terms of inexpensive quality glass. Wide angle lenses were expensive in the film era, and continue to be today.

What you can do is stitch. 28mm is pretty distortion free (as compared to wider focal lengths). You can use Microsoft ICE (its a free download) to stitch. [hint - if you shoot in RAW, convert to TIFF, then stitch in ICE, saving back as a TIFF, then post process. That way you will retain the largest amount of information for the image.]
QuoteOriginally posted by az1895 Quote
Im not locked into anything so just getting a decent 24mm or wider prime is going to pump me up for a while. Im so shocked with my initial definition , clarity , and saturation of the Ricoh XR 28mm I just want more. Im amazed to say the least ! 16'' x 24" prints are easy within reach now ! I wish I had done this years ago. I don't know what you mean "legacy" ?
A year ago I had Costco print a 20" x 30" as their price was $10 - as a test. It is amazing, and I just have a K5. A 16" x 24" will be easy.

Last edited by interested_observer; 08-09-2013 at 06:58 PM.
08-10-2013, 04:53 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
az1895,

Welcome aboard. I am 62 and have acquired a quite a bit of glass over the years. I got a K5 almost 1 1/2 years ago and a K5 IIs a few months ago. I was out of the hobby for several years and decided that it was tome to get back in. Unfortunately some of my favorite lenses have not aged well. My Tamron 70-210 f3.5, my Sigma 400mm f5.6 and my Tamron 300mm f2.8 being among them. I will be sending the Tamron out to a guy in Colorado to see if it can be saved. The other two are sadly not worth the cost.

The SMC 55mm f1.8 screw mount lens I have works great only my DSLR's.

My 28-80 Pentax A manual focus zoom has also worked well.

I have a Tamron fixed K mount 135mm f2.8 that I like too.

I do have one auto-focus zoom lend. A Pentax DA 12-24mm lens that I am very happy with. It nicely covers a gap that going to the ASP-C sensor caused.

Enjoy your camera. I found that I have had to do a bit of re-education going digital. This site have been a great help.

If you go about half way down page 36 of the "Post your K5 IIs pictures here" thread you will see a shot I did with my old Pentax 28-80mm lens. Sort of an Ansel Adams tribute while I was in the area.
08-12-2013, 10:03 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Guys ! I downloaded MS ICE ! Its just too easy ? So its RAW to TIFF the stich and save as TIFF ? This opens up a whole new world to me ! It just occurred to me that shooting verticle on the APS-C sensor for 2 or 3 frames and then stitching will give some pretty impressive results with a good 28-50mm lens ? Or is that cheating ? It sure feels like cheating.....or is this the way digital goes ? Is Ice a real good program ? I searched around and couldn't find anyone who had any terrible things to say about it ? Plus.....its free. Just seems too easy...Ive got high hopes right now.
08-12-2013, 10:37 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Well, people have stitched film shots to for ages.

08-12-2013, 10:42 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Hello az1895 !
You can find on ebay old or new russian Mir lenses.
Nearly all DA Limited lenses are FF aware, I tried it, even the fisheye zoom DA 10-17 (not at 10mm but 14mm is ok)
I know it is a lot of money but the DA* 50-135mm F2.8 is really exceptional, I even use it as macro lens with an extension tube, it is as sharp as a prime !
Don't hesitate, choose what you're confident with.
Have a nice day.
08-12-2013, 10:51 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
even the fisheye zoom DA 10-17 (not at 10mm but 14mm is ok)
Find a way to remove the hood and it will work from 10mm!
08-12-2013, 11:01 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
Find a way to remove the hood and it will work from 10mm!
Hey that's interesting !!
08-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Hey that's interesting !!
But it gives circular images for smaller than 14mm. Tokina makes a version without hood to use it on canikon FF DSLRs

08-12-2013, 07:00 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by az1895 Quote
Thanks Guys ! I downloaded MS ICE ! Its just too easy ? So its RAW to TIFF the stich and save as TIFF ? This opens up a whole new world to me ! It just occurred to me that shooting verticle on the APS-C sensor for 2 or 3 frames and then stitching will give some pretty impressive results with a good 28-50mm lens ? Or is that cheating ? It sure feels like cheating.....or is this the way digital goes ? Is Ice a real good program ? I searched around and couldn't find anyone who had any terrible things to say about it ? Plus.....its free. Just seems too easy...Ive got high hopes right now.
Yes, it really is that easy. You can shoot directly in JPG, but you will loose some of the information in the image, so that after stitching, you are left with a JPG and if you choose to so some enhancement, you will be somewhat limited. By shooting in RAW and then converting to TIFF, you are retaining essentially all the RAW information, just in a format that ICE understands. After stitching and saving in TIFF you can then use LightRoom or whatever other post processing utility to sharpen, adjust colors, etc.

These were done with ICE. There are other stitching utilities, most cost - others are free, but ICE is both free and easy. There are some limitations, but they are all workable.

08-13-2013, 10:00 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I love that first locomotive scene. WOW ! Im going to the Grand Canyon again (go every year) and this time Im taking the train just for fun. Im really weak on the software side for editing , and really need to take a good class either on-line or in person at a CC college for digital. In fact Im almost a caveman when it comes to software. I need just some basic stuff. Ive looked at a lot of software , but its very complicated and even downright expensive. If I could find something that's user friendly for sharpening and maybe offers some basic color correction that would be great......Im soooooo lost.