Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2013, 02:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Noob....K-5IIs and lens choices

Hello everyone ! I just made the Jump from SLR to DSLR and right off the bat purchased a K5IIs. Im almost 50 yrs old and I guess you would say Im old school of sorts. At any rate I decided that I would do a lot of research as far as lens selection goes and this is what I chose for lenses so far (this forum was invaluable). Any input would be appreciated as far as my current lens choices. First and foremost Im predominantly a landscape and Macro guy. I like to shoot very very low to the ground. I really didn't want the K5IIs but the K30 and K50 didn't have a top display and this was very very important reason I choose the K5. I Had to have that top display !
Also I work very slow and methodical so I decided that Rather than spend big bucks (I don't have) on "D" primes was out of the question. I decided to go with anything from M42 mounts with adapter to the "A" series. I also didn't want t5o purchase anything that wouldn't work if a FF camera came out down the road. My F5IIs came with a 18-55 WR lens for general use , but That wasn't enough except for just general fun use in bad weather. Here are my current lens choices that I feel are good Primes. All were bought on Ebay.
Ricoh Rikenon XR 28mm 2.8 Mint condition $38 bucks . I think this is a very good lens Im going to use quite a bit.
Super Takumar 35mm 3.5 Mint condition $40 bucks Mint. I think this is going to be a good one too for Bokeh a bit ?
Pentax SMCM 50mm 1.7 Xlnt shape $59 bucks ebay. Im hoping for super sharp stopped down and nice Bokeh open ?
Pentax SMCK 55mm 1.8 Xlnt shape $34 bucks Ebay. Kinda duplicated this one , supposed to be wonderful for a portrait lens , and Super Bokeh ?
That's it for now. The super wide fast glass is down the road after my wallet cools down a bit and my bank recovers.
So how did I do ? Is my thinking off for using a new state of the art K5IIs with lenses 30-50 years old ok ?
My Wish list includes the SMCA 20mm 2.8 (cant wait) and maybe a SMCA 24mm 2.8 ?
The wide stuff has me over a barrel.....expensive ! And I really have no use for telephotos with my shooting style. Im a close, low, wide shooting, kind of guy. Lot of close and low foreground.
Thanks for your input , advice , criticism , or whatever.....Lets hear it ?

08-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard. Be careful of Ricoh glass, it can have the draded Ricoh pin and get stuck when mounted.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/233830-k30-w-ri...ml#post2474647
08-09-2013, 03:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Welcome aboard. Be careful of Ricoh glass, it can have the draded Ricoh pin and get stuck when mounted.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/233830-k30-w-ri...ml#post2474647
Fortunately....The XR's don't ! That was the only Ricoh glass I was after so Im good to go......Thanks.
08-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You are set to go shooting! If you want something that's also wide on APS-c that is manual check out Samyang/Rikenon/Opteka/etc 14/2.8, it should be a good fit for you and pretty cheap for a modern lens.

08-09-2013, 03:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Congratulations! But... Why buy the most expensive camera and then go cheap on the most important thing.. GLASS!?
08-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
You are set to go shooting! If you want something that's also wide on APS-c that is manual check out Samyang/Rikenon/Opteka/etc 14/2.8, it should be a good fit for you and pretty cheap for a modern lens.
Thanks...Oohhhh...Yes 14mm is getting good. I saw that but ran out of dough. That is going on my wish list to consider carefully...Thanks.
08-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
Congratulations! But... Why buy the most expensive camera and then go cheap on the most important thing.. GLASS!?
Well....as far as cheap on the glass....? The old glass can be fantastic (as good or better optically )! Just not auto everything so its cheap. I only need one lens that's auto focus and it came with the kit. 18-55 WR. actually its not too bad at the wide end for a kit lens. I refuse to buy any glass that has "D" on it as I have high hopes for FF from the future. Cannon lost me with their BIG prices and cheap bodies in something I could afford. If I get water in a $50 ebay 28mm 2.8 Ricoh , so what.....grab another one for $50 bucks off Ebay ! If I get water in a "D" lens that's gonna hurt ! I have destroyed several good point and shoot cameras in my travels , water was ALWAYS involved. I love manual mode anyway , and never get in a hurry.

08-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Hey, lenses as the DA*55 and DA*300 are both considered to be full frame lenses, and wonderful on aps-c too!
08-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by az1895 Quote
Well....as far as cheap on the glass....? The old glass can be fantastic (as good or better optically )!
I sohuld clarify: I donīt mean to call you cheap. Yes, old glass is excelent. But modern coatings are also very important. So are ED and AL elements... It is unlikely that an older lens is better than itīs modern model. Modern doesnīt mean autofocus. Look at the A series for example. Great technology... There are even some members who shoot only manual glass but that doesnīt mean itīs cheap at all.

I only need one lens that's auto focus and it came with the kit. 18-55 WR. actually its not too bad at the wide end for a kit lens
The kit lens is actually really good.

If I get water in a $50 ebay 28mm 2.8 Ricoh , so what.....grab another one for $50 bucks off Ebay ! If I get water in a "D" lens that's gonna hurt ! I have destroyed several good point and shoot cameras in my travels , water was ALWAYS involved. I love manual mode anyway , and never get in a hurry.
I guess you are reffereng to the weather sealing on the K-5. Well, if the lens isnīt weather sealed, then water can still go in through the lens mount.. So you need the "system" (i.e. Camera + lens) to be WR in order to take advantage of the WR feature.
08-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Hey, lenses as the DA*55 and DA*300 are both considered to be full frame lenses, and wonderful on aps-c too!
OK...ya got me on that one !
08-09-2013, 04:03 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I sohuld clarify: I donīt mean to call you cheap. Yes, old glass is excelent. But modern coatings are also very important. So are ED and AL elements... It is unlikely that an older lens is better than itīs modern model. Modern doesnīt mean autofocus. Look at the A series for example. Great technology... There are even some members who shoot only manual glass but that doesnīt mean itīs cheap at all.

The kit lens is actually really good.

I guess you are reffereng to the weather sealing on the K-5. Well, if the lens isnīt weather sealed, then water can still go in through the lens mount.. So you need the "system" (i.e. Camera + lens) to be WR in order to take advantage of the WR feature.
Yes...That was one big reason I chose the Pentax WR over anything else. If Its raining....my 18-55 WR goes on and I feel safe. I will just deal with any limitations of the lens. If Im on a vacation trip or tour...The 18-55WR will be on. If Im spending a week shooting lanscapes .....I will use some nice old sharp primes 35mm or less from ebay...manual focus of course. That's my agenda anyway. Who knows how it will all work out.
08-09-2013, 04:07 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Who knows how it will all work out
Hope it works for you. I intended to follow the same path, keeping the 18-55WR for the same purpose but I really liked the quality of primes (all of them, legacy) so I sucumbed to buying some modern zoom lenses... DA16-50 and DA10-17. Iīd like a DA55-300 to replace my FA80-320 but I am in no hurry.
08-09-2013, 04:08 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I got the 5 yr insurance too !

Ive been very hard on cameras in the past. Now I have a very nice one and the first thing I did was get the Insurance against any damage. Cost me $249 but now Im safe from anything. Loss, damage , water , everything for a full 5 years.
To me that was very important.
08-09-2013, 04:14 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hope it works for you. I intended to follow the same path, keeping the 18-55WR for the same purpose but I really liked the quality of primes (all of them, legacy) so I sucumbed to buying some modern zoom lenses... DA16-50 and DA10-17. Iīd like a DA55-300 to replace my FA80-320 but I am in no hurry.
Im not locked into anything so just getting a decent 24mm or wider prime is going to pump me up for a while. Im so shocked with my initial definition , clarity , and saturation of the Ricoh XR 28mm I just want more. Im amazed to say the least ! 16'' x 24" prints are easy within reach now ! I wish I had done this years ago. I don't know what you mean "legacy" ?
08-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you like macros see if you can get your hands on a Pentax M50 f4 or the takumar version - very sharp w/ good color. I think I have read some who have used a vivitar 100 macro, but I'm not sure. The lens data base will be helpful.

If you like unusual, dreamy bokeh, try some of the helios lenses. They are 58 mm, but wide open they can do some pretty cool things. Of course there are the 1.2 lenses, but these are $$$$.... as an alternative, 50 1.4's go for a bit over $100 so that could be a good choice too.

If you want to go wide, sometimes there are some DA14 f2.8's that don't go for too much and it has good close focusing abilities too. I might be selling mine soon as I bought a sigma 8-16, but sometimes I like having the speed (churches etc where tripods aren't allowed).

Anyways, awesome camera you have now so congrats! Also love New Mexico - would love to go back soon... we took a balloon trip in the Taos area - just wow. Great memories...