Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-11-2013, 03:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax K-5 II Problem after Firmware Update

Dear all,

SOS! (Not so big as well, but well!)

EDIT!: Turns out it was all my fault. Pentax K-5 II had no problems. It was I guess my stupidity.

I just updated to latest FW 1.04 after doing that I immediate see that the camera works slow now.

I push the shutter button there is a slight micro second delay for the mirror to fall back. It is a spanking new camera. Not to mention now the camera AF is out of focus.

So I removed the lens and shot the camera. It is great. It shoots like a gattling gun. (Means it works fine).

I must mention that now the sensor cleaning makes a little sound. The camera had FW 1.0 now upgraded directly to 1.04.

I put the camera on the Continuous drive mode and shoots like Clack - Clack - Clack which is way too slower than the first day.

Any help. Or should I invest in the 10 day return policy :P (I would hate to do so... ) Kidding.

Please please please any advise would be helpful.

best regards,
deedee

Last edited by Deedee; 08-12-2013 at 02:48 AM.
08-11-2013, 04:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Deedee Quote
Dear all,

SOS! (Not so big as well, but well!)

I just updated to latest FW 1.04 after doing that I immediate see that the camera works slow now.

I push the shutter button there is a slight micro second delay for the mirror to fall back. It is a spanking new camera. Not to mention now the camera AF is out of focus.

So I removed the lens and shot the camera. It is great. It shoots like a gattling gun. (Means it works fine).

I must mention that now the sensor cleaning makes a little sound. The camera had FW 1.0 now upgraded directly to 1.04.

I put the camera on the Continuous drive mode and shoots like Clack - Clack - Clack which is way too slower than the first day.

Any help. Or should I invest in the 10 day return policy :P (I would hate to do so... ) Kidding.

Please please please any advise would be helpful.

best regards,
deedee
There are two continuous speeds that can be selected. Which is yours set to?
08-11-2013, 04:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi IchabodCrane

I am no longer referring to the drive mode. It is just slow in general while shooting. Single mode and continuous drive mode. Both are slow. Its like Clack stop Clack stop Clack stop. :'(

To repeat it is just slow with the lens on.

I HATE IT!!! :'(

P.S. Tried both hi and low.

best regards and thank you for your response.
08-11-2013, 04:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Deedee Quote
Hi IchabodCrane

I am no longer referring to the drive mode. It is just slow in general while shooting. Single mode and continuous drive mode. Both are slow. Its like Clack stop Clack stop Clack stop. :'(

To repeat it is just slow with the lens on.

I HATE IT!!! :'(

P.S. Tried both hi and low.

best regards and thank you for your response.
Have you tried setting the focus switch to Manual Focus? That will give a clue whether the AF system is slowing you down.

08-11-2013, 05:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Go to your custom section of the menu, tab 3, settings 15 and 16. See if you're set to focus priority or release priority.
Release priority will fire 7fps regardless; focus priority will make the camera wait until it confirms focus to fire.
08-11-2013, 05:19 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
To be absolutely sure, did you indeed use the update for the K-5II (k5_2_104.exe) and not for the K-5IIs (k5_2s104.exe)?
Latest K-5II/K-5IIs Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
Also, use an SDHC card that is formatted in the camera, not on your PC.
08-11-2013, 05:55 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One thing that will slow down continuous drive mode is a slow shutter speed. If your exposure time is say 1/4 sec then there is now way you can get any more than 4 frames per second. Also check that lens correction correction is not on.

08-11-2013, 06:01 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Check your rec. mode settings, basically anything that requires the camera to process an image immediately after it's made. Lens correction is an example.
08-11-2013, 06:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi,

Thank you all for your answers. It intermittently works like the way it is supposed to.

Infact I took it yesterday for a shootout. I must have taken like 600+ picture. The camera worked like a champ.

I am guessing either the sensor is heated up or something. I am not sure. The focus motor does not work as well too. Just keeps hunting. Specially the mirror! the mirror slaps so slow below that it shakes the camera from inside leading to a blurry image.

I will charge the battery and take it out to take pictures today around the river. (Oh this dampens my entire mood )

Ok while typing this I went back to the camera and walked around the house. With the camera. Shooting.

So I noticed it keeps hunting for focus when there are not change in contrast of the subject (Example a while wall - It just did not focus at all).

I noticed the mirror slaps slowly when it is low light. May be the mirror was up due to low light to increase the exposure time. I shoot in Av mode (Aperture priority). I like to keep AUTO -ISO 100-200 range. Aperture as wide open as it allows.

So after 50 more actuation. My actuation count on the camera is now 1000+ Looks like I will run out much before the warranty.

So now I am thinking it is no longer the firmware causing the trouble. May be it is hardware or just a DSLR the way it is supposed to function.

I will wait for today. Shoot 1000 more test shots. Just to check the hardware functionality. Well at the end of the day I will update this thread again.

My best regards and thank you everyone for responding.
Deedee

P.S. I use 94mbps SDHC Sony highspeed 32 GB card. So data transfer is also not the issue

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
One thing that will slow down continuous drive mode is a slow shutter speed. If your exposure time is say 1/4 sec then there is now way you can get any more than 4 frames per second. Also check that lens correction correction is not on.
This actually looks like the case, may be I am new to DSLRs. My ISO is set to 100-200 (AUTO ISO) for

QuoteOriginally posted by manacho2005 Quote
Go to your custom section of the menu, tab 3, settings 15 and 16. See if you're set to focus priority or release priority. Release priority will fire 7fps regardless; focus priority will make the camera wait until it confirms focus to fire.
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Have you tried setting the focus switch to Manual Focus? That will give a clue whether the AF system is slowing you down.
Agreed that MF should work, not the case though. It is the mirror issue, it just falls back a little slower.

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Check your rec. mode settings, basically anything that requires the camera to process an image immediately after it's made. Lens correction is an example.
Yes I have them all disabled thank you.
08-11-2013, 07:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Deedee, try shooting in Tv mode with a speed of, say, 1/500 or faster. That should take shutter speed out of the question in trying to sort this out.
08-11-2013, 12:45 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Dear all,

This was completely a false alarm.

I stepped outside and took a walk near the river. As people mention this camera is an absolute love.

Everything worked just fine. The AF, the mirror etc.

If there was a way I could only close this thread.

Thank you so much everyone.
08-11-2013, 04:23 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
why have auto iso so limited? I usually have my auto isoo set from 80-12800.... if you are inside, your shutter speeds will be so slow you won't be able to get a good photo due to motion blur. sounds like you are new to DSLR's... if you have problems, make sure you describe the issues as best as you can and avoid jumping to conclusions. It will help us help you faster. good luck!
08-12-2013, 02:47 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I agree 100% thank you so much for your advice.

Cheers!

QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
why have auto iso so limited? I usually have my auto isoo set from 80-12800.... if you are inside, your shutter speeds will be so slow you won't be able to get a good photo due to motion blur. sounds like you are new to DSLR's... if you have problems, make sure you describe the issues as best as you can and avoid jumping to conclusions. It will help us help you faster. good luck!
08-12-2013, 04:58 PM   #14
Veteran Member

If the light level is so low that the camera has to select a shutter speed of, lets say as an example, 1/2 a second, then the fastest fps you'll get with any camera is 2 fps.

Chris